How to get my headers sparkling again?

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
this is a cheap quick and easy way that always works for me.. read the idea in a issue of motorcyclist many many years ago and use it for all my bikes..chrome or stainless pipes it works for both...

#0000 steel wool..thats super fine
Wd-40.

spray the Wd-40 on the pipes when they are cold... and also on the steel wool and wipe away...it cleans and polishes nice and easy.. then i usually give it another polish with a clean dry towel..

and a fraction of the price and effort of some of the other cleaners...

W

wrightme43

And for the ones that know little about mechanics, is that easy? :confused: Removing the headers I mean

No things that attach to the head are not the place to practice or learn with. LOL

I would leave them on. :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

this is a cheap quick and easy way that always works for me.. read the idea in a issue of motorcyclist many many years ago and use it for all my bikes..chrome or stainless pipes it works for both...

Wd-40.

spray the Wd-40 on the pipes when they are cold... and also on the steel wool and wipe away...it cleans and polishes nice and easy.. then i usually give it another polish with a clean dry towel..

You know I have heard of that, but forgot it. Thanks for bringing it up. I will try it.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site

Wd-40.

Sounds simple enough for my lazy ass

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
I found that this way of cleaning pipes is especially good for cleaning chrome.. Polishes sush as mothers contains abrasives as you guys are probably aware of. So it actually is scrubbing away at the finish...the steel wool method is much more gentler and does not rub off the finish...I restored a very rusty and pitted set of headers with this method it worked great, of course it needed some elbow grease to get there.. none the less it works great.....

piggyback1974

Reaction score
Visit site
autosol polish with "0000" steel wool

:thumbup:

i had tried polishing the four headers with AUTOSOL. result was good. but you have to use a lot of strength to clean off the corrosions.my headers were stained with stubborn black spots.using other kinds of polishes were futile. only AUTOSOL could do the job well. after removing all the corrosion, apply the headers with a thin coat of engine oil.start the engine and let it heat up the oil.smoke will be given off that's normal don't worry. let it run for 4mins then switch off the engine.run the engine for one more time. you will notice the headers will turn to gold colours.

yamahaha

that guy is fast
Reaction score
Visit site
+1. neverdull works awesome!!! you can get it at most autopart stores or truckstops

-1. that stuff didnt do a thing to my pipes which aren't even really dirty just have crap stained into them which im beginning to think i may never get out

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
-1. that stuff didnt do a thing to my pipes which aren't even really dirty just have crap stained into them which im beginning to think i may never get out

I had to use sand paper to get mine shiny again. Every paste, cream, goo and elbow grease that I tried would not take out the deep corrosion/stains. I started with 600 grit then finished off with 1500 grit and finally got a shine back.

mawebb

Reaction score
Visit site
Try Meguiar's® Motorcycle All Metal Polish. As stated on their site- "The perfect metal polish for your bike: Polymer blend keeps the surface brighter longer. Amazing results without hazardous chemicals and chemical odors."

It took a bit of work, applying the polish and before it dried, I used a Dremel tool with a cloth polishing wheel. I probably had to do 5 applications in succession before my pipes came up nice and shinny. My pipes looked pretty dull before I started, so I am quite pleased. Apparently the compound helps keep them clean longer, but rides in the rain, start to quickly build up the dull look.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to try Autosol at some point. Wish there was a local place to pick up a tube.

I removed my pipes (they're sitting here on the floor!) since they are back to dull brown/black. I used the wet sand paper method again and it takes the crap right off. Finishing it off with 1500 grit gives it a nice mirror-like look...I'll post pics tomorrow.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a cake walk...... If you have a drill motor go out and get a powerball for it and while there, pick up some Mother's metal polish. Apply the polish to the pipes but dot let it dry. Then take the powerball and polish then out. Afterwards they will be very easy to keep clean and the maintenance on them will be far reduced. They will look like this..

Yep.....1000% agree, i have just finished polishing my pipes, and wheels with a Mothers Powerball, attached to a 550w hand drill....took me about a 20th of the time it normally takes...results! Awesome!

I have been polishing chrome & exhausts for 20 years, and this is the best thing i have ever found...

The powerball's are washable, durable, and they work!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: