How to get back into it after crashing

Rourk

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so long story short i had to dump my bike.

I replaced the extremely worn tires and it feels like a new bike. However, I'm still extremely skiddish on this thing. Its an 07 R6, and I'm just flat out scared right now. Ive had a 2012 R1 and it didn't scare me at all. I learned on a 95 ninja that was beaten to hell, and it didn't scare me.

Now I'm scared though. I know what the pain feels like and what road rash does and having a bike fall on top of you and its something to think about. Sadly when I'm on my bike now its all I think about.

I've put maybe 5 miles on the bike since the accident and I keep saying to myself I just gotta keep going out there and regain my confidence, but its hard.

Any pointers, tips, etc?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For a start, try to understand and get comfortable with the crash. Was it a set of circumstances that is rare? Was it rider error eg skills that need work. Was it distraction? Break it down so you understand that crashes don't just happen. They develop.

Make sure you embrace any lessons learned. And learn them if applicable.

Then gradually get your courage back. Ride easy and often.

For me it is all about taking the mystery out and dealing with it like an engineering problem.

Good luck and hang in there. If all goes well you will come out of this a better rider.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take an experienced rider course or even a basics. Work your way back into riding the proper way while you gain confidence in a controlled environment.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For a start, try to understand and get comfortable with the crash. Was it a set of circumstances that is rare? Was it rider error eg skills that need work. Was it distraction? Break it down so you understand that crashes don't just happen. They develop.

Make sure you embrace any lessons learned. And learn them if applicable.

Then gradually get your courage back. Ride easy and often.

For me it is all about taking the mystery out and dealing with it like an engineering problem.

Good luck and hang in there. If all goes well you will come out of this a better rider.

outstanding advice! +1 :thumbup:
.. and as Kenny said, take a course! If you're not sure why you crashed.. DEFINITELY take a course.

P.S. Next experienced course I'm teaching is at Piscataway on 6/22 (though it might already be booked up).

Rourk

Reaction score
Visit site
I live very close to Piscataway, I'm really interested in doing that=)

I dropped the bike on a really easy turn. The tires couldn't grip and I was heading straight into the curb. I literally dropped the bike within 4 feet of the curb almost bee lining it. Luckily I slowed down a lot and I had most of my gear on but F going down ever again lol

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
What gear was missing? Was it missing a factor in your injuries? I've taken my bike out twice without gear (shorts, tshirt, sneakers, helmet) and I was pretty scared most of the time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like a cage wreck, ride your ride on your terms. Turn about should it be more than you bargained for.
--> Don't be unsure of yourself!! No good will come of this! Recognize to its fullest what went wrong and why. Learn from the past and educate yourself about what works and what gets you by. Just getting by is not OK. You need to rise above that!

I'm not OK but not for the same reasons. One day I will be taking my own own advice. Know your limits. Press them when its ** safe to do so ** and park it when anxiety and fear overcome. Big battles can't be one in a day...

Look forward to riding. It sets the tone!

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take your time.. Ride around the block and slowly work your way back up. You'll know when you're ready to get back out there.

Do you have FULL protective gear? I feel extremely uncomfortable when one piece of my full kit isn't on, even if it's just a short ride close to home. I feel much better with all the gear on.

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
I found understanding exactly why I had an accident early last year and revisiting the crash site helped alot. Taking your own time is one of the most important things

JeffSez59

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all the above mentioned. I lowsided my bike at about 20mph about a month ago with a couple factors coming into play. Super sharp decreasing radius turn = high lean angle and since the trees bloomed view reduced. Also the previous day rained really hard which led to road debris . So I hit a little gravel at pretty much full lean and just burried the peg into the asphalt, there goes the front wheel and I was down. Combination of rider error and some road debris got me. I was about 50 miles from home at the time so I actually road all the way back right afterwards, which was pretty strange, if I should say so myself, looking over a broken fairing and bent handlebars. But I quickly got on my Dads bike and started riding right away until about a week and half later when I finally was able to fix my bike. And like previously said, I'm going to school to try and become a pilot, accidents don't just happen. It's always a series of events that leads up to the final outcome. So analyze your accident to see what the rider (yourself) could of done to prevent said incident or if it was something completely out of your control understand the nature of the risk associated with riding a bike, but don't let it dissuade you from riding, which is about the most enjoyable experience on terrestrial earth!! [emoji106][emoji3]

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take your time.. Ride around the block and slowly work your way back up. You'll know when you're ready to get back out there.

Do you have FULL protective gear? I feel extremely uncomfortable when one piece of my full kit isn't on, even if it's just a short ride close to home. I feel much better with all the gear on.

I recently went through this as well. I went down about 6 weeks ago and had serious doubts about myself the first day. The second day was worse. I could barely walk, my wrist was sprained, and I had road rash on my legs (the only place I wasn't wearing gear). What was obvious to me was that the gear played a huge role in not having alot more injuries.

I am and had already been planning a massive 6 week motorcycle trip this summer (about 3 weeks away now) and I seriously considered calling off the trip (which I had already bought most of the gear for) and never riding again.

These guys have it right though, I have mentally been through the accident thousands of times. I know what I could have done better and I know that more gear and better gear could have protected me further.

It changed how I approach riding. There are risks I am willing to take in a car that I wont take on a bike anymore. I no longer would even consider riding without full gear on. Since I had the opportunity to replace gear that was damaged (all of the gear), I upgraded most of it.

The single biggest thing though was my wife. She convinced me that just because of one mistake I need not give up on my dream of taking the awesome trip that's now just a few weeks away. She reminded me that I will heal, and we have insurance to cover the expenses of such things.

Even with all of this, I was very nervous when I first got back on. I knew I was making the right decision and knew that this was what I wanted and that I could ride better and safer than before, and so the nervousness passed quickly.

I have scars I will live with the rest of my life from the slide, but it was one of the best learning experiences of my life.

Rourk

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again everyone for putting their two cents in. I'll be making mental notes and doing what has been suggested.

As for the gear I didn't have on was gloves pants and boots which I'll be purchasing either today or tomorrow.

They opened a Quaker steak and lube close by and Thursdays are bike nights. It's not too far and I'll be practicing a ton before then:)

Edit

Also forgot the frame slider on that side snapped off. Is it something I should look into replacing? Doesn't seem to do much if it just breaks off

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
It may be completely off topic, but since you guys have lamented the training/ATGATT comments, I'll go ahead anyway.

It looks like our new URL has attracted a broader riderbase - OP rides an r6, new poster, hasn't transitioned from an FZ that I can tell - so it leaves me with the following thought process:

"I ride an R6, that's a 600cc bike, maybe I should join the 600Riders forum"

(OP don't feel like I'm telling you to go away, great community here and you're more than welcome!) I just found it a bit funny.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so long story short i had to dump my bike.

I replaced the extremely worn tires and it feels like a new bike. However, I'm still extremely skiddish on this thing. Its an 07 R6, and I'm just flat out scared right now. Ive had a 2012 R1 and it didn't scare me at all. I learned on a 95 ninja that was beaten to hell, and it didn't scare me.

Now I'm scared though. I know what the pain feels like and what road rash does and having a bike fall on top of you and its something to think about. Sadly when I'm on my bike now its all I think about.

I've put maybe 5 miles on the bike since the accident and I keep saying to myself I just gotta keep going out there and regain my confidence, but its hard.

Any pointers, tips, etc?
Sorry 'bout yer get-off. :( I wouldn't rush back on if'n yer not feel'in it. Ride'in ain't fer everybody, maybe it's not for you? Bikez iz a dreadful addiction, so if you can get away, now's a good time. :thumbup:

I tossed mah FJR down the road ('bout 265 mi. from home) at about 60 mph last August, and a passer by helped me pick the thing up and get it to where it wuz rideable. I rode it 85 mi. to my parents 'n had my wife/sister come and get me 'n the bike.

611_2_zpsd0a883b0.jpg

I was banged up, mah little pinky finger wuz busted, (The Dr. wanted to operate ta set the bones, butt I told him no; that would interfer w/ my riding!) and the FJR wuz totaled so I rode mah FZ6 ta work the next day. Yay :cheer:
'bout a month later I took the home made splint off my finger, (So I could wear gloves again.) got a new rear tire, and wuz a little late ta work. Needless to say, making a right hander a block from mah crib, because my left hand wuz still gimpy, 'n the new tire, I dun spun up the rear on the FZ, fish tailed 'n bailed break'in mah collar bone this time. A passer by helped me pick thew bike up 'n I rode to work. (No brain, no pain! :p )
Started riding mini bikes when I wuz 8, got may street endorsement when I wuz 15 (1975) 'n have been ride'n ever since.
Wish I would get scared, wish I could quit this addiction butt my whole life's built 'round ride'n. Hell, be'in 53, I'm too old ta be bouncing down the road! :spank:
I tell you this cuz my name iz Banjoboy and I'm a moto-aholic! This may be a good time for you to quit?

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Also forgot the frame slider on that side snapped off. Is it something I should look into replacing? Doesn't seem to do much if it just breaks off

You likely had a "no-cut" frame slider. No-cut simply means you do not have to cut or trim the fairings to mount the sliders. Due to the mounting brackets to relocate the slider, they are very weak and prone to breaking.

If you wish to run sliders, I can only suggest Woodcraft frame sliders where you will need to trim the fairings. Nothing I know is as strong and the proper length. I also have a 3rd gen R6 and that is what I use on the racetrack. Running sliders is a personal preference although I think most people swear by them. They generally protect very well in slower speed tipovers.

https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=OO13

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You likely had a "no-cut" frame slider. No-cut simply means you do not have to cut or trim the fairings to mount the sliders. Due to the mounting brackets to relocate the slider, they are very weak and prone to breaking.

If you wish to run sliders, I can only suggest Woodcraft frame sliders where you will need to trim the fairings. Nothing I know is as strong and the proper length. I also have a 3rd gen R6 and that is what I use on the racetrack. Running sliders is a personal preference although I think most people swear by them. They generally protect very well in slower speed tipovers.

https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=OO13

Big +1 to Woodcraft. Besides promising to be very strong, it's a 2-part design.. big plastic puck sits on a sturdy bolt. To replace a damaged one, you just undo a set screw and replace the outer puck. You may even be able to get away with just rotating the puck.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It may be completely off topic, but since you guys have lamented the training/ATGATT comments, I'll go ahead anyway.

It looks like our new URL has attracted a broader riderbase - OP rides an r6, new poster, hasn't transitioned from an FZ that I can tell - so it leaves me with the following thought process:

"I ride an R6, that's a 600cc bike, maybe I should join the 600Riders forum"

(OP don't feel like I'm telling you to go away, great community here and you're more than welcome!) I just found it a bit funny.

Had the same thought lol

:hijack:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same thought lol

:hijack:

LOL...and with NO disrespect to the OP or anyone else.....

When my kids were growing up and sharing the family PC, I knew the best way to keep them away from my stuff was to give it an unattractive name. So I had file names like 'Algebra' and 'History timelines'.

Perhaps we need to change the URL to 'www.squids600forum.com'!

Blah

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you or everyone who had responded in this thread are aware that I went down in early January from making a very aggressive U-turn in very slippery conditions. I tore my ACL by putting my foot down, dirt bike instinct. After surgery, I was off the bike for 30 days, the most days I have not ridden in almost a decade, ever since my bike has been my only ride. Needless to say, even after 30 days, It felt strange. I spent almost 30 minutes in an empty parking lot across the street practicing my swerving, emergency quick stops, slow tight turns, clutch and throttle control, etc, before I even ventured out in traffic. This is just after 30 days of not riding. I can't imagine what it would feel after a major crash or even after being off the bike for 2 or 3 months. I would probably take a refresher course if that was the case.