How to clean a helmet?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What liquids should I use? Just water by itself or can I use soapy water from handsoap? Dish washer liquid?

I'm talking about in the air vents and such.

Anyone every give their helmet a thorough cleaning?

Water and water ONLY!

Stuff like dish washing have salt in it, - so it will scratch the helmet up.

Also the helmet shell is in most cases a composite material with some sort of paint on, - and if you introduce any kind of chemicals on it (soap/cleaner etc) there is no telling what will happen.
Most likely the helmet will be just fine, - but since you actually can clean it with water only (let heavy dirt soak for a while), there is really no need to test it.

I use only water...never experimented with anything else. I know my brother used windex and RainX to no ill effect (uncoated visor).

I also have been known to use paper towels dipped in the nasty gas station "window cleaner" that looks like stagnant bong/pond water.

I use auto glass cleaner that has no ammonia in it. I figure since it's safe for the visor it must be safe for everything else too. If it's heavily soiled I rinse with running water to get the big stuff off first. No issues in 2 years now but who knows if they'll be issues later - I doubt it though. I actually pack a small spray bottle for longer trips so that I know what I'm using.

If you are just doing the outside a microfiber cloth and quick detailer work great. On the visor plain water. I wash the inside of mine with water and shampoo.

Cheap dollar store furniture polish (Powerhouse brand) and micro fiber cloth or white cotton flannel for the outside. I follow the manufacturer's instructions for washing the liner.

If you are just doing the outside a microfiber cloth and quick detailer work great. On the visor plain water. I wash the inside of mine with water and shampoo.

+1
I have washed my helmets with shampoo and warm water for years. My current HJC has a removable skull cap and cheekpads, but I still wash the actual shell itself every couple of months. Water has no effect on EPS helmet liners.

I remove the pads and wash them in the sink with laundry soap and hot water, since laundry soap is made to remove human ickness and won't attack the material. Rinse thoroughly and let dry (usually takes more than a day).

Other than wiping the dead bugness off the exterior with a wet cloth, I guess I've never tried cleaning out the air vents, etc (wonder if my helmet will suddenly vent better? :rolleyes: ). :D

Windex and microfiber followed by a coat or two of liquid glass car polish.

Back to the I ride in the rain, my suit, bike, helmet and such are looking pretty grungy.

Rode 230 miles today, started off on wet roads with fog and a steady mist, then just mist and wet roads, ended with patchy sunshine.

:popcorn:

j/k

LOL

I know eh....before I know it id be posting pics with my helmet sitting in a pool of dark green and black liquid in another urgent help thread haha.

Thanks for the tips tho.

I'lll use just warm water for the vents then. I read an article about cleaning out ur air vents and how you will be astonished by the sheer volume of black gunk that will come out of em.

+1
I have washed my helmets with shampoo and warm water for years. My current HJC has a removable skull cap and cheekpads, but I still wash the actual shell itself every couple of months. Water has no effect on EPS helmet liners.

I was told to use the "no more tears" stuff, or baby shampoo, so that when you sweat it won't burn your eyes. But I have yet to need to wash my helmet, so I couldn’t say if that’s necessary or not. Has anyone ever had that problem?

I was told to use the "no more tears" stuff, or baby shampoo, so that when you sweat it won't burn your eyes. But I have yet to need to wash my helmet, so I couldn’t say if that’s necessary or not. Has anyone ever had that problem?

trust me you need to wash ur helmet. ull be astonished at what comes out of the air vents. (according to third party source)

I use water on the helmet and: "Plexus - Plastic Cleaner Protectant and Polish"on the twin visors. Made in the US but sold in Oz. Keeps visors spotless .......... they need to be with my eyes. The other thing, get two of those anti-fluff rags. One for the visors only, the other for the helmet, fuel tank, etc and don't interchange them.

trust me you need to wash ur helmet. ull be astonished at what comes out of the air vents. (according to third party source)

I figured this out pretty quickly after buying my current helmet which has a white chin vent - there's a serious lot of fine black debris that builds up in the vent after even one ride. It gets in places I haven't figured out how to really clean but I do what I can. On the up shot, I'm sure pedestrians and cagers with windows down breath the same thing but just don't have to look at it.

Back