How Not-to-Sell a Motorcycle

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I apologize if this is someone from the forum but I too often see ad's like this:

2009 Yamaha FZ6 1100 miles F%*king mint!

"2009 Yamaha FZ6 1100 miles F%*king mint! - $5000 (warwick)

1100 miles, absolute mint condition, always garaged and washed after riding, adult owned never beat on, amazing touring bike, never dumped or scratched, has digital gauges and including gas and temp, analog RPM tach, very clean bike asking $5000 obo, no low ball BS, these are the only pics i have of the bike so please dont ask for me to send more-call and make an appointment to view, call only NO EMAIL they will not be answered 401 545 0493

I have bought and sold too many bikes, atv's, cars, and motorcycles to count; and I must say, the wording of the advertisement plays almost as much of a role in the sale as the actual condition of the item being sold. Its understandable that people are frustrated with the junk e-mail coming from sites such as Craigslist and equally as frustrated with less-than-reasonable offers but, these are all "hassles" associated with for sale by owner.

Always remember; keep the wording positive and professional. Statements like "No Low Ballers!", "No Tire Kickers", "Don't ask me for pictures", "Don't e-mail cuz' I won't respond" are just as likely to turn-off a serious buyer as they are a "Low Balla'"

Just my 2-cents and pet peeve.

Rant Ended!!
:thumbup:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. People sometimes just don't do a proper selling job when doing it over the internet. I collect watches and audio equipment and when it is time to buy or sell it isn't possible to go see the item from across the country so you have to rely on the description, pictures and attitude of the individual. And these items are often more than the price of a used motorcycle. You have to have a cogent description that outlines all problems, and post plenty of pictures, and be ready to answer questions. In this case I don't think I would want to deal with a guy who puts 'effing' mint in his description. Gives a bad vibe, no?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. People sometimes just don't do a proper selling job when doing it over the internet. I collect watches and audio equipment and when it is time to buy or sell it isn't possible to go see the item from across the country so you have to rely on the description, pictures and attitude of the individual. And these items are often more than the price of a used motorcycle. You have to have a cogent description that outlines all problems, and post plenty of pictures, and be ready to answer questions. In this case I don't think I would want to deal with a guy who puts 'effing' mint in his description. Gives a bad vibe, no?

^^Exactly!

First Impressions are key. Poor attitude or perception of unwillingness to cooperate in the wording of the advertisement is only a glimpse at what you may expect during negotiations. The old adage "Garbage-in, Garbage-out" applies to so much in life ;)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to call him and offer a F%*king $1000...:rof::rof::BLAA:

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, I also hated when they are not honest about the condition and say it's in mint or like new!!. Right before I bought mine I went so see this bike that was in like new condition and was never down, only to find scuffs on the frame and pilled dirt on top of the engine :spank: . Told the guy it was down before he kept saying it wasent haha. So I low ball him at 2k lol

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to sell my FZ6 too -- I think I'll use that wording and see where it goes.

Not really -- but I am selling my FZ6.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should mail your offer instead... and ask for better pics! :D
Think I'll respond too, but I am not interested in the FZ I already have one, but I might just ask about the red bike in the background......I dont want pics or anything , just a very detailed description. ha ha ha

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really wanted to sell your bike, wouldn't you take as many pictures as needed to make a seller interested? seeing "don't ask me for more picture these are th only ones i've got" is a turn off... make me think "what? did you steal this bike and it's sitting in a warehouse on long island and your accomplice sent you a couple photos?" you have no way to get more pics? Cram it up your f*cking mint arse

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna offer that f*cker $10,000! Only if he posts more pictures!

i find it very strange that he stresses that he can't put more pictures up. in this day and age every phone has a somewhat decent camera on it (hell, for the last x years they have). At least, if not his, a friends phone must have.
Poor "customer service", if you're not willing to take an extra picture of your bike if one would ask (within reason), then you're an instant douche in my book.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, sounds like a very responsible, mature person. Doesn't really fill you with confidence about contacting them. More like the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld.

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I know. Hopefully that is his cell phone number. Since he doesn't like emails, low ball him offers via TEXT Msgs...:rof: :rof: :rof: :welcome:

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Usually I avoid these, but I like to low ball them when I can tell they are not ready to sell. I'll point out 2-3 things and then say, "since I drove all this way, I should make an offer...the bike has issues, but I would be willing to go $2000."

I actually had a guy tell me his car had the SRS light on, he wasn't getting it looked at and he wanted basically full price. WTF! At least he told me on the phone!