Adapting a Shad S2 seat to an S1?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a used Corbin that I bought from a forum member years ago and it has seen better days. With Spencer having retired, there are very limited options for FZ6 seats. I looked at a Shad, and on their website it says it fits the F^ with no years mentioned. I decided to buy it from Revzilla at the same price as Shad offers it, because I get free shipping and some ZillaCash.

On the Revzilla site it says that the seats only fit S2s, so I wasn't sure who was right. Looks like it was Revzilla, not the manufacturer :-(

After swapping over the latch tang, it looks close. When I try to install the seat, the alignment pin seems to register with the hole and the I can push down on the latch, but latch doesn't engage. The seat pans look almost identical, so I am hoping that only a small 'adjustment is needed.

It's pouring rain now and I have no garage to work in, so I figured I'd see if the collective body of knowledge of the forum could offer any guidance.

Anyone ever attempt this?

Veloce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Shad on my S1, and it does admittedly take more effort to latch than the stock seat. Have you tried pushing down on it hard, right where the latch is? I can't think of a reason why there would be a difference between Shad's S1 & S2, since the stock seat didn't change, and Shad has you reuse the stock bracket.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Shad on my S1, and it does admittedly take more effort to latch than the stock seat. Have you tried pushing down on it hard, right where the latch is? I can't think of a reason why there would be a difference between Shad's S1 & S2, since the stock seat didn't change, and Shad has you reuse the stock bracket.

Thanks

I tried pushing down hard, but admittedly not as hard as I could. I began to think that if I forced it, I would not be able to unlatch it...

Once the rain halts I expect to take a closer look. Perhaps I need to shim the bracket down a little with some washers to move the engagement point up. If you can take a look at and let me know the model of your Shad I'd appreciate it. Mine is stamped 'SHY1F70BA' right under the pillion.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the end all I needed to do was to put 2 washers under the tang in the seat pan and it latches with a moderate of effort, only slightly more than needed for the stock seat.

Expecting to get a ride in mid afternoon. Can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Final report - worth every penny. Much more comfortable than the stock seat (not really tough to do), and was nearly fatigue-free after a 4+ hour ride yesterday. Much cheaper than a new Corbin. I hope it is a durable, but for 1/2 the price it is worth the chance...
Allways precise and sharp like a good knife :p :p
.. and Gary is too! :)

Chris09fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I got one on mine at the start of the season this year as well. Much better than stock. I can easily go twice as long on the shad over the stock seat. Only thing I can complain about the fitment is the rear of the seat sticks up like a 1/2 inch. I never have a passenger but having one for a few rides might push it down, might have to take the heat gun to it a bit but we'll see. Doesn't have any effect on my riding anyway. Somehow my '09 didn't come with the comfort seat and there wasn't one to be found so the shad was the only ready to go option.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got one on mine at the start of the season this year as well. Much better than stock. I can easily go twice as long on the shad over the stock seat. Only thing I can complain about the fitment is the rear of the seat sticks up like a 1/2 inch. I never have a passenger but having one for a few rides might push it down, might have to take the heat gun to it a bit but we'll see. Doesn't have any effect on my riding anyway. Somehow my '09 didn't come with the comfort seat and there wasn't one to be found so the shad was the only ready to go option.
Ha, mine isn't 1/2 inch, but it definitely doesn't sit down as far as it should in the rear..... Zero impact on function, just odd

Chris09fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, mine isn't 1/2 inch, but it definitely doesn't sit down as far as it should in the rear..... Zero impact on function, just odd
Well maybe 1/4 inch . But either way the esthetics of it bothers me a bit so I'll have to do something. I'm more concerned about finding the raven black metallic paint (or something very close) that isn't stupidly expensive to redo the rear grab bars, 1st owner attached bungee cords to them by the looks. But that's neither here nor there.