How my FZ6 ate my thumb.

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm hoping I'm the only one dumb enough to make this kind of mistake, but I figured I'd share my epic failure in hopes that it saves some other poor soul from making the same mistake.

So I was cleaning up my bike last Wednesday, and I had just started to clean off the chain with some kerosene, I had been cleaning it out with a tooth brush for a good ten minutes. I turned the bike on and revved the engine a couple times for any loose dirt to fling off the chain, then put it in 1st gear and let it idle (Which I've always done when spraying lube or wax on, mainly just to save time and effort). As the bike is idleing, chain moving very slowly, I put the towel I was holding up against the side of the chain to wipe off some of the dirt remnants before spraying the chain wax on. As I was doing this, I slipped a little bit, and before I realized what the hell was going on, I was looking down at the bloody jagged bone that had taken the place of my thumb. My thumb got caught in the towel, which had snagged on the chain, and it got sliced off in the sprocket. So lesson learned, NEVER EVER EVER do anything with the bike on, except for ride it, which hopefully I will still be able to do in a few months, Cheers. - matt

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! We've heard about this too many times. I'm sorry it happened to you but I wish you hadn't run the bike.

Folks, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Never run your bike for maintenance, especially chain! Put it on a stand and turn the wheel by hand ONLY!

How much did you lose from the thumb? I hope it will heal and still be of use! Take care!

Last edited:

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
So easy to turn that wheel by hand while on the center stand. I don't understand why anyone would run the engine. Glad you're ok though. Hopefully your mistake will save others.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for sharing this experience. I caught my finger between one of the sprocket nuts and the swing arm a month ago while trying to clean the hub. I was just turning the wheel by hand, so I can imagine it being under power.

Heal up quickly!

Cliff

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
sorry to hear at that.

but this leads me to a question. not that i ever plan to do it.... but i don't understand how it idols in first. do you not have to apply some throttle? if not, is it because there's no load on the tire that you don't have to apply throttle? i've never understood how this was done when i have read about it.

tominos

Reaction score
Visit site
scary! i used to run my bike to lube the chain too. never again.. hope you heal up quickly. did you go to the emergency room and have it stitched back on?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear at that.

but this leads me to a question. not that i ever plan to do it.... but i don't understand how it idols in first. do you not have to apply some throttle? if not, is it because there's no load on the tire that you don't have to apply throttle? i've never understood how this was done when i have read about it.

The bike is on the center stand or a swing arm/paddock stand with the rear wheel off the ground. Since there's no load on the back wheel (free wheeling) you can engage any gear and the rear wheel will also turn in neutral.

ENGINE OFF! is the way to service the bike. Too many mishaps can occur with that motor running. If for some reason that bike come off the stand it will lauch.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little, hope they can do some work on that thumb... Good Luck in Rehab...

Ouch...

PAULED

Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics: Only joking:D

When I read the heading I just knew what you did,:eek: I hope you are ok and it's not to bad.

To All.....Centre stand and turn the wheel by hand, there's no rush, as it can bite back.

Cheers

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, it wasn't salvagable, the sprocket ground it up too badly. My thumb will still work, I'm very lucky it didn't cut down to the second knuckle, just right above it. So it'll just be a little shorter is all. Yeah it definitely makes complete sense that the bike should not be running while performing maintenance on it, but a lot of things you dont realize till it's allready happened. Anyways sorry no pics! I could give you one once it's healed, but that's not quite as fun. Safe riding, and maintaining to everyone! Cheers

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, it wasn't salvagable, the sprocket ground it up too badly. My thumb will still work, I'm very lucky it didn't cut down to the second knuckle, just right above it. So it'll just be a little shorter is all. Yeah it definitely makes complete sense that the bike should not be running while performing maintenance on it, but a lot of things you dont realize till it's allready happened. Anyways sorry no pics! I could give you one once it's healed, but that's not quite as fun. Safe riding, and maintaining to everyone! Cheers

So sorry to hear about your thumb. I sure hope it heals up quickly, with no complications. Thank you so much for your post. (I can't believe you took the time to warn us so soon after it happened!) From the replies, it sounds like a lot of people didn't realize something like that could happen, so this is for helping the rest of us. :wav: