How much do you think this seat is worth?

How much do you think the seat is worth? (USD)

• Less than $50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50 - $75

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • $75 - $100

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • $100 - $150

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • $150 - $200

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • More than $200

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm trying to sell a seat that is an OEM seat with a new attractive cover from Top Saddlery that was installed by them at their factory. The cover includes silver stitching and an FZ6 logo. I'm trying to figure out what this thing is approximately worth and would appreciate some non-binding feedback in terms of the poll which should be self explanatory - how much do you think it's worth. Pictures below on my 04 and next to the stock seat.

Camera%2003-18-09%20016.jpg

Camera%2003-18-09%20014.jpg

Camera%2003-18-09%20015.jpg

Camera%2003-18-09%20019.jpg

Camera%2003-18-09%20020.jpg

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
It's way nicer to look at than the stock seat, I voted $100-$150, leaning more towards the $125-$130 mark, still I could be wrong, this is just one opinion of many I'm sure.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Saddlery offers two options
1. You pay more for their seat pan
2. You send in YOUR seat and they use the original pan
If you do the latter it'll look like the stock seat. If you want the big cushy bulky ones, you have to pay more for their seat pan.

TS does not "cover" seats. What you have is a Top Saddlery seat, just with the OEM seat pan.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Saddlery offers two options
1. You pay more for their seat pan
2. You send in YOUR seat and they use the original pan
If you do the latter it'll look like the stock seat. If you want the big cushy bulky ones, you have to pay more for their seat pan.

TS does not "cover" seats. What you have is a Top Saddlery seat, just with the OEM seat pan.

I used to think what you did (which is how I ended up with this seat in the first place) however that is not accurate. TopSaddlery offers both seats and seat covers. In the seat case you can use your OEM pan or their pan, in the cover case you can send them your OEM seat or buy a whole other OEM seat from them.

See these photos for an example of each - note I've circled the description "Type 1 design seat cover" for the first and "Type 1 Deluxe Seat" in the second

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
How much new? That's your starting point and would be very relevant to this discussion.

With shipping from France and a seat from them it's in the over $200 category - just don't know that's actually what's worth for the purposes of re-selling. The poll so far is indicating that it's not.

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
Like you said in one of your earlier posts you wanted the comfort factor as well as looks, I think personally that is what most people look for when purchasing a seat, maybe TS over prices the covers to make you go that little bit extra and buy one of the Deluxe versions which then dont look too expensive in comparison, making more profit for them.

I still think if I was looking to trick my bike up with a new saddle but did not want to pay the high price TS charges to cover the stock version I would most definately purchase your seat at the price stated on the poll so far.

You could always put it on E Bay with a starting bid of $150 and see how it goes you might be surprised at the response, the trouble is when trying to put a sensible value on something people always want it for nothing.

With shipping from France and a seat from them it's in the over $200 category - just don't know that's actually what's worth for the purposes of re-selling. The poll so far is indicating that it's not.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could always put it on E Bay with a starting bid of $150 and see how it goes you might be surprised at the response, the trouble is when trying to put a sensible value on something people always want it for nothing.

Well said! I think an eBay auction with a reserve would suit you best and may get you more dollars than a sale here.

I hope you can recover most of the money because that was a very sour deal.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking that eBay was a place this might end up but who knows - figured I'd gather some data to see what was a reasonable expectation before deciding.

Thanks to all who have voted.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
for a seat cover where you provide the pan its about $150 delivered from TS. You have a nice seat but at $150 you may have a hard time selling it.

Sorry to be the bearer of evil words, I feel for your situation. Maybe you can keep it and sell it in a year when the loss doesn't sting so much.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you contacted Topsaddlery regarding this issue? They do have a "lowered" seat option, and it would make sense to me that it would more closely resemble the stock seat.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
for a seat cover where you provide the pan its about $150 delivered from TS. You have a nice seat but at $150 you may have a hard time selling it.

Basic price yes, but with shipping to the US it still crosses the $200 mark using your seat - nevermind the shipping cost of getting your seat to them in the first place. I agree on your price assessment - at this point it seems like $150 is best case.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you contacted Topsaddlery regarding this issue? They do have a "lowered" seat option, and it would make sense to me that it would more closely resemble the stock seat.

I haven't - I've compared this seat with my OEM seat and am confident it is the same shape and height. Any kind of thing I could figure using TS for would involve shipping which is cost prohibitive from the US.