how many riders don't have a license or...

whats in your wallet?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Phil, that sucks, I got pinged going to work in a 40mph, when I came home it was a 30mph. In the Thames valley you get the option of doing a speed awarness course. £90.00. However, you don't get the points. You have to be endorsment free for three years or you get double the points. Can you do a speed awarnes course up there?

Don't know about the speed awareness policy as it's Dorset constabulary. Warwickshire do speed awareness course.

I'm trying to wriggle out of it at the moment using a PACE witness statement. The basic premiss is you use a standard letter to admit your guilt to the offence, but as you have not been formally cautioned ('You have the right to remain silent .....') the evidence you have provided is inadmissable. There's bee a couple of high profile cases which have gone to the European Court of Human Rights recently & lost. But it appears some courts still accept the evidence is inadmissable.

Anyone else in the poo with road traffic offences, these are the guys.

PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
Fully stocked here.
In Washington state, no insurance is required for a motorcycle at all! :eek:
Still, I bought it (full coverage) so I could ride in Oregon without getting impounded, as well as to protect my investment.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the same as the other Brits here. Although it's not compulsory to carry any of these, now that we have photographic licenses un the UK they make for a good form of ID. I just wish that someone would ask me to prove that I am old enough to buy a drink.

By the way; what is MSF?

B

Bo67

Yo Botch,
Were you at Cannon down in NM? I served a 5 year sentence there. Hated that uninsured motorists coverage with a passion!

-Bo

mediumbob

Reaction score
Visit site
I am fully legal now but back in June I got pinched for riding dirty, no insurance,expired tag and expired license. The tag and license had expired a week earlier on my birthday and I had not renewed them in time. A night in the slammer and $740 in fines, at 34 you would think I would know better. I sure wish I had that money for some new cans. Totally not worth the risk if your not legal get there trust me.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always carry my insurance, license and proof of ownership as this is law in Holland (the Netherlands).
But unlike the UK we don't get any "points" for speeding, as yet (but they are talking about it).
Which is a good job, as I would otherwise have been missing my license by now.;)

JohnnyT

Reaction score
Visit site
Both.

I have a big problem with people who drive uninsured. While active duty Air Force I was moved to New Mexico for five years; my auto insurance rate tripled!! I was told that 65% of the drivers in NM were uninsured, and I had to make up the difference. They finally passed a law requiring insurance while I was there, a big whopping $70 fine if you didn't. That's a lot less expensive than insurance, of course, especially if you had a dozen or so DWIs on your record, as way too many people in NM did.

I'd better stop now, before I get belligerent...

Your right about the uninsured but the state is working to fix that. By law, you now have to get insured or you can't register your vehicle. I think DWI is the bigger problem. People with 4-5 DWIs, no license, no insurance and no registration are still on the road. Sorry Botch. No harm intended, but that's a real soft spot for me. I've got the license, the Motorcycle Riders Course, and full insurance coverage and carry the cards to prove it. :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know about the speed awareness policy as it's Dorset constabulary. Warwickshire do speed awareness course.

I'm trying to wriggle out of it at the moment using a PACE witness statement. The basic premiss is you use a standard letter to admit your guilt to the offence, but as you have not been formally cautioned ('You have the right to remain silent .....') the evidence you have provided is inadmissable. There's bee a couple of high profile cases which have gone to the European Court of Human Rights recently & lost. But it appears some courts still accept the evidence is inadmissable.

Anyone else in the poo with road traffic offences, these are the guys.

PePiPoo: Helping the motorist to get justice
I have started to carry my insurance documents as well as liscence.

Hey Phil,

How did you get on with your case?

SanNYC

Reaction score
www.dozendames.org
Brooklyn, NY

I park in an indoor garage among 60 or so other bikes. The majority are sports bikes, but there or 3 or 4 cruisers.

I took the Motorcycle Safety class and often feel self righteous about the fact that I wear full gear (unless it's 95+ degrees) and never drink and ride. It appears that most of the sports bike owners are very young, tend to ride late nights, only wear brain buckets and often have a chick on the back in shorts and a tank top.

In Brooklyn we get large groups of riders that will ride 30+ strong and stop up major thoroughfares and highways to do wheelies. I even saw two ATVs among one of these packs on a highway and neither rider had a helmet on even though it’s the law in NY.

One day a road behind a guy who hit his brakes on every curve in the road. He only released the brake when the bike was upright. I wonder who taught him how to ride.

I went to one Brooklyn dealership where the sales man boosted that none of the staff members have an MC license; only permits.

I also noticed that it’s popular here in Brooklyn for teenagers to ride dirt bikes on the side walks. I cops chase them, stop them and let them go. I met one guy who told me that he’s been riding since he was 16 and he’s now 18. His bike was taken twice and his permit is currently suspended, but he still rides.

With these sad observations, I now assume that most of the sports bike riders in Brooklyn only have permits if that. This pisses me off because they have cracked down on MC riders in NY and these guys ride crazy making it bad for riders who try to ride lawfully.

I once considered writing a state legislator to suggest a bill that would require all people who purchase a bike have a MC license first. But I don’t want any dealership thugs coming after me.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I have started to carry my insurance documents as well as liscence.

Hey Phil,

How did you get on with your case?

Guilty as charged. The European Court of Human Rights over-turned the 2 test cases. So, the right to silence has been removed in these cases. Basically the penalty for failing to incriminate yourself is at least as stringent as the penalty for the offence, often harsher - 6 points rather than 3.

So, the PACE defence no longer holds up. That is, 'I wasn't properly cautioned, so you can't use my confession' loophole is closed.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lie sensed and insured here. Got my license through MSF course, what an eye opener to know more than 90% of motorcylce accidents involve unlicensed riders. Most guys at the course rode before when they were in their teens (no license) and now they want to ride again but with a license this time. Yeah I'm not for those "unlincensed and uninsured", but most of all I don't like wheelies on busy public roads....it gives riders a bad rep.

ang1dust

My bike is smokin I think
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Im supposed to be covered

I have insurance on my bike but no license yet. I must say that the only reason is because for some reason Texas requires you to have a lisence to make an addition to the lisence, or something like that. Anyhow i lost my wallet, a week later i changed my address and then another week followed i (still waiting for my license) and they say i must wait for the first one to come in the mail... i have been waiting for 7 weeks. I feel like im licensed. I have taken the MSC so i think thats a plus. MSC here in Houston varied. 180 on weekends 160 on weekdays. The guys there are great... Untitled Document

Last edited:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have permit and insurance. How much is the MSF course?

I should know the exact cost since i just took the course this summer, but i paid cash. It definitely cost me a little over $200, well worth with what they teach new riders. 250cc bike and helmet included. No need to ruin a brand new bike or you buddy's bike and pay for the repair.

H

HavBlue

I must confess, when I started riding all you needed was a class 3 or C license and it was good for everything including bikes. Then, in like 73-74 we had to get an endorsement and the original tests were for crap as they asked all sorts of questions that really had nothing to do with riding but more the mechanical side of bikes. Even now I think some of the questions they ask were written by some folks that have never been on a bike. Either way I have had the endorsement and insurance since it became law.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey uk guys dont forget you also need a valid M.O.T once the bike is over three years old

so thats
M.O.T(after 3 yrs old)
ROAD FUND LICENCE
INSURANCE
FULL BIKE LICENCE

All present and correct me :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.