How many of us FZ6 owners bought their bikes from the showroom?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title implies, did you buy your bike new, or second hand?
And while we're at it, what made you take this bike over all others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rooster31

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought it used at a dealer if that counts lol. I know it doesn't.

Honestly I didn't want a crotch rocket where im bent over all the time, but i still wanted something fast and fun. FZ6 looked awesome, was comfy as hell, and very near the same motor as the R6 was a great choice for me. I cruised around on some forums and saw tons of people with over 50k miles so I was not worried about longevity, so I picked it up.

Could not be happier with my decision.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd have to guess that many of the original buyers have moved on after all this time but let's see what happens.

My criteria was a 600cc bike that fits me well having an I4 that makes decent power. I sat on a bunch of bikes in the showroom and found the FZ fit me pretty well. A few days passed and one came up in a local fsbo ad an hour away (Craig's List) and looked at that weekend and drove down and bought it the next weekend. That was 2011-03! $4300 USD, second owner with 4000 mi on it...

68115d1494861657-how-many-us-fz6-owners-bought-their-bikes-showroom-20170416_173942-jpg

Ya ya ya, the belly pan is off for cleaning and rear tape not applied, but it's done now! :thumbup:

Attachments

• 20170416_173942.jpg
    20170416_173942.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine new its an '09 but i bought in Feb 2011 it had been on the floor and was discounted to $10900( about a grand off) took it for test ride and thought it was ace- I love thats there is so little that is plasticky too, finish is really nice— i look at a lot of other bikes , Hondas, suzies. Kwakas and HDs and the chrome pits and the paint can be orange peel or just thin looking

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Got mine used, needed fixing so I didn't get to ride it for a couple of weeks.
I'm not a fan of plastic bits and liked the naked look so took a gamble on it. I was looking for a bigger bike but glad I got this one, way more get up and go than I was expecting, easy to work on and just plain fun to ride.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good question, and it's a long story, but I'll shorten it down.
Girlfriend (now wife) was ok with bikes, so I started looking. I had to run out to a dealership to pick up the enclosure for a Kawasaki mule for work. I checked out a couple bikes there while waiting for them to load the enclosure in the truck, a versys was on my radar, but they didn't have one. He showed me a gs500 that was on sale, I passed on that. He points over my shoulder and says we have this one in hold over...I fell in love. That led to getting my permit, then a loan, and finally driving back up to buy it.
I think that was in Oct 2010, still love this bike.
16f7ea0a134af4098b979295e048abbc.jpg
216a857050d7f154194561673a0603e4.jpg

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2007 FZ6 used off of Craigslist. We were heading over the hill to Napa to see family. Stopped in Sacramento on the way and hubby test rode the bike (I just had gotten my M1 and didn't feel comfortable riding a strange bike in a strange area). We decided to buy it. On way home, stopped by and hubby rode it all the way home. October 2011. Paid $4k, I can't remember how many miles. I sold it to another gal a few years later. She sold it a year later. She went to the dark side - H-D.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought my 07 new as a play bike to go along with the FJR 1300 I already had. The 6 was fun but I grew tired of having to ring it's neck to get into the power band. Replaced it with a real fast 06 FZ1 and replaced that with a 2010 KTM 990 supermoto. Love the 990 so much I just bought another one, it's a 13 with only 3,600 miles and ABS. Today I'll be cleaning the 10 and putting it up for sale soon.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Used. 3rd owner. Rode bikes as a kid (my dad owned mostly goldwings), and after 25+ years, for fun took the state MSF (free in PA), and decided I wanted back in. One of the instructors had a Bandit, liked the idea of a sport-touring. Co-worker helped narrow options, decided it was either an SV650, Honda 599 (CB600F), or an FZ6. LIked the fact that the muffler was under the seat (plus FI vs carb on older CB, and thought SV was kinda funny looking). Lots of craigslist ads. Saw mine, was near my (older) brother in VA - he test-rode it, gave a thumbs up, and even did the negotiation - all before I'd every ridden it ;) And then I found you-all.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine USED, from my best friend (his son's first bike abused the heck out of it), that was laid down several times.

I didn't know what an FZ6 was. As quiet as it was stock, I almost passed on it.

Bought it to replace my "beater"(2005 KLR250).

4,500 miles, right side damage, $2,000.00 in 2009.

Eventually fell in love with it, sold the FJR, Goldwing, KLR and this IS my primary toy..

Last edited:

Full Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought mine used off Kijiji as a naked bike. Seller was asking $4000 offered $3500 and it came with pretty much everything to put it back to stock. I've since sold $300 worth of parts and maybe spent $150 on maintenance and a few accessories.

Always loved the look of the FZ and I came into a bit of extra cash last fall so I started looking.

I'm the 4th owner and the bike has 28000kms on it.
c5c0c65dc3ff85869ac6174e76829d42.jpg

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine used in 2013 w/ 1100 miles on it for $5,000, as a matter of principal I try to buy used like new bikes. I bought my 2009 Ninja 250R w/ 500 miles on it and my Street Triple R w/ 2600 miles on it. The only bike I've ever bought new is my Grom, but that's only because used ones seem to cost more than new ones for some reason.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Craig's List. Third owner, purchased in January 2012. Bike started its life in Scottsdale, AZ. Somehow ended up in Delaware and then PA, where I bought it off a teenager with minor right side damage for $2500 (Had ~10K miles). Now has over 37K miles. I keep looking at new FJ-09's at multiple dealers, but always stop short of pulling the trigger when I realize there is NOTHING I don't like about the FZ, and it's running like a top!

moto-jpeg.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Craig's List. Third owner, purchased in January 2012. Bike started its life in Scottsdale, AZ. Somehow ended up in Delaware and then PA, where I bought it off a teenager with minor right side damage for $2500 (Had ~10K miles). Now has over 37K miles. I keep looking at new FJ-09's at multiple dealers, but always stop short of pulling the trigger when I realize there is NOTHING I don't like about the FZ, and it's running like a top!

View attachment 68116

It doesn't wheelie on demand in third! Blah

Other than that I love how you can throw it around.
Its tempting to get a beater and convert to dual sport! Im missing my gravel roads explorer fix!! Great bikes as noticed by how long some have kept them.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought mine USED, from my best friend (his son's first bike abused the heck out of it), that was laid down several times.

I didn't know what an FZ6 was. As quiet as it was stock, I almost passed on it.

Bought it to replace my "beater"(2005 KLR250).

4,500 miles, right side damage, $2,000.00 in 2009.

Eventually fell in love with it, sold the FJR, Goldwing, KLR and this IS my primary toy..

Aren't KLR's "beaters" by definition?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't KLR's "beaters" by definition?

It was my daily ride back and forth to work. (My beater)

I had two 250's and one 2004 650..

The first, a 1989, 250, I had for approx ten years and sold it with 73,000 street miles on it, 75 MPG around town.

The second, 2005, 250, I sold with 28,000 miles (I kick myself in the a$$) as it was a great bike, more flickable
than the FZ, could easily ride thru deep water (our Florida summer rain deluges)

Obviously not fast but faster than most regular street cars...

The 2005:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got mine brand new in April 2004, almost 20 years to the day since I last owned a bike, a 1982 Honda CBX550F.

When I got my first company car in 1984 I foolishly sold the Honda to my sister's boyfriend. My girlfriend (now wife of 32 years) never liked the 550 because I bought it without telling her. I had traded in my 1980 CB400N to buy it and she had given me half the deposit to buy the 400 (yes we've been together a LONG time!)

So, when I sold the 550 and we got married 6 months later I was a cager for many years. Whenever I raised the subject of a bike I got a firm NO. (Happy wife, happy life, as they say).

In early 2004 when I raised the subject again I got "okay buy a bike if you want" and the first thing that sprang to mind was an XJR1300, yellow "Kenny Roberts" colours. I took an XJR1200 for a test ride and was quite impressed, but when we walked into our now defunct local dealer, Johannesburg Yamaha, Mrs spotted a blue bike with underseat pipes and said "what about this one?"

I had never seen the Fazer before and really liked the look. After 20 years without a bike common sense said buying a 1300 might not be a good idea and the price difference also played a part.

I took delivery of the bike on Friday April 2, 2004 and that was the first time I rode it. Over 13 years and 57,500km later I still love riding it and I have never once regretted buying it. I have changed a few things over the years, not as much as some but today it has Akrapovic slip ons, Rizoma grips, HEL brake lines, Puig smoked double bubble screen, Stebel Nautilus horn, R&G Tail Tidy, Givi topbox rack and Philips Motovision headlight bulbs. In 13 years it has been dropped once and that was a car park incident.

I am on the brink of buying a 2017 Tracer and I am torn between taking a knock on trade in or keeping it and using it as a track bike but the thought of stripping it down or worse, crashing it breaks my heart. It is truly the best bike I have had in my limited riding lifetime.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd have to guess that many of the original buyers have moved on after all this time but let's see what happens.

I'm still here, and I still have the Fizzer with over 100k miles. Bought the bike brand new back in April of 2007 when I lived in Vegas, a leftover model. I brought it with me when I moved to Idaho and took it with me again when I moved to Reno. Although it's no longer my primary bike, I still try to ride it once or twice a week. It's also nice to have as a back up in the event my Duc is in the shop. My two bikes have been my only ride for almost 12 years.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And were glad youre still here too, Kenny

I'm kinda glad i started this thread, gets a perspective on our "elder" owner members and those eager to learn about the bike, riding and this here little forum that has a strong history of sharing('n caring)

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
I got mine used from a dealer last year. Don't remember where I saw an ad for it but I waited till that Saturday to go and see it. Once I heard the exhaust tone of the drilled muffler I got hooked. Then I took it for a test ride home and back and the handling made an impression on me.
I ended the test ride by buying it. :cheer: