How many miles do you get out of your brake pads?

Brake pad wear.

• How many miles from your pads

Votes: 27 12.9%
  • > 5000 miles 8000 kms

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • < 7000 miles 11200 kms

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • < 10000 miles 16000 kms

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • > 12000 miles 19300 kms (how many more?)

Votes: 130 62.2%

• Total voters

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have about 25k on my front's and over 2/3 still left. I use the front brakes HARD and still very little wear. I will say however that about 1/2 way through my last track day, I wish I had changed them about 20k miles ago. They were almost useless.

They were weak and chattering. I thought maybe I was slamming on the lever too hard so I tried a lap or two with really exaggerating how slowly I applied the pressure - same outcome. Almost nothing, still nothing, very little, then BAM - full brakes, chattering, but squishy feel.

I'll be getting something more substantial and changing even though it looks like I have at least another 20k more pad left on the stockers.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still on my stock front pads with almost 78,000 miles and they still look great. And I use both brakes for all my stops. I've gone through several pads on the rear.

As far as my rotor discs, I've posted pictures and the measurements on another thread. Click on the link to see where they are at if you are curious what 78,000 miles will do.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/44002-brake-discs-thickness-3.html

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I have 10,000 mi on my bike and I decided to do new pads and fluid since the front brakes were squealing. Once I got the pads off, I realized that there was still a lot left, but new pads couldn't hurt, so I put them on anyway.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 10,000 mi on my bike and I decided to do new pads and fluid since the front brakes were squealing. Once I got the pads off, I realized that there was still a lot left, but new pads couldn't hurt, so I put them on anyway.

The squealing is usually just brake dust that's hanging around on the rotors.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah my brand new pads did that for a bit. Ive never seen a bike to have squealers on the pads but I know most automotive pads and shoes have little metal tabs on them so that once they get worn down close to time to replace they start to squeal by the tab rubbing on the rotor or drum.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah my brand new pads did that for a bit. Ive never seen a bike to have squealers on the pads but I know most automotive pads and shoes have little metal tabs on them so that once they get worn down close to time to replace they start to squeal by the tab rubbing on the rotor or drum.

Yup. The automotive squealer tabs aren't necessary on the bike because you can visually inspect the pads in a matter of seconds. On a car it requires removing the wheel, which is a real PITA unless you own your own shop.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

As in glazed up pad/rotors. Often times build up from not reaching a high enough temp to clean off the pad transfer to the rotor will make them squeal. Often a times a couple of high speed stops will cure this.

Not to be confused with chatter which is often a hard spot(s) on the rotor that quickly destroy pads.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike, the guy said it would need new front pads this soon, as in before the coming riding season. So I bought pads, went to replace them and they were about half done. Could still have gone a long time on them. They only had 17k miles on the pads.

Replaced the pads, cleaned everything up, lubed the pin that the brake pads slide on, replaced fluids in the front and rear. I'm all good to go now for a few years!

Mugwump

Uncle at large
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at 14K miles and thinking of replacing them. They still have plenty of meat but I forgot to clean the rotors when I changed my tires and they've been making noise when I come to the last few feet of a stop. Can I just slap in the new pads without doing anything to the rotors, or should the rotors be dressed up or replaced before putting new pads on? What type of dressing up would the rotors need if any? :confused:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at 14K miles and thinking of replacing them. They still have plenty of meat but I forgot to clean the rotors when I changed my tires and they've been making noise when I come to the last few feet of a stop. Can I just slap in the new pads without doing anything to the rotors, or should the rotors be dressed up or replaced before putting new pads on? What type of dressing up would the rotors need if any? :confused:

You could just wipe the rotors with some brake cleaner.

My EBC HH pads for the R6 front calipers have lasted just under 65000km's (~40k miles), worn down to the metal backings now. Ordered up a new set, bike is sadly out of commission until they come in.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
32k and still have all original pads but going to change the rear ones soon. Got the pads just haven't gotten the urge to swap them out yet.

rlphay

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just over 34,000 miles on my 06 FZ6 and am hopefully going to get them replaced in the next week or so. Still have some room to wear but it is about time. Need to replace the fluid again as well so this is a good time.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got 22,000+ miles on my '07 FZ6 before recently getting them changed. I originally brought my bike in to get new tires installed when the mechanic informed me it was overdue. Rear pads were as he described it "thin like potato chips". I was gonna ask Ruffle or plain :BLAA:
Front pads were okay so they were left alone. Lines were drained, flushed and filled. What a difference with new tires and brakes. :thumbup:

Sco

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used 08. i think the pads are probably fine, but maybe they need to bled after 4 years, they seem slightly spongy, especially the rear?

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I still have a little life on my original pads at 48,400 miles. I plan on rebuilding the calipers, installing new pads and doing the steel braided lines all at the same time since everything will be apart anyway.

I change the fluid about every 6 months and when I mount and balance new tires I hit the rotors with some Scotchbrite to knock the glaze off. Brakes still work great. I do a lot of engine braking and use the rear brake in conjunction with the fronts. Before my Canada trip in June I pulled the calipers and pads apart and cleaned out all the brake dust and lubed the pin and stuck it all back together. And they did feel better after just doing that. Preventative maintenance on brakes is pretty easy and doesn't take a lot of time to do.