How the hell do you exactly check the front brake pad?

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Conceptionally, I understand I am supposed to look at the wear indicator and see if it is flushed, but either looking at it from the front or the rear, with it turned in either direction and even lying down with a light I just can't for the life of me tell how worn it is. Which is especially terrifying since apprently motorcycle brake pads don't squeal when they are running low. I tried looking at youtube vids but just not getting it. Just debating replacing it at this point since it has been about 15K miles.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
I think my bike went to 24k on its factory set but that was the previous owner. Id just replace them if you are worried, nice to know for your peace of mind and safety that they are fresh.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, I'm just above 20K miles, and all my pads are original and remain fully serviceable.

FWIW, I have no clue about NY, but here in PA we're required to have an annual safety inspection at the same time we renew our motorcycle registration. The safety inspection includes a physical inspection as well as a short ride on the motorcycle being inspected. I believe that the dealer is required to (and mine always does) furnish a written short list of safety indicators which got measured during the inspection, like remaining tire treads, remaining brake pad thicknesses, etc. That gives me an annual "second opinion" about the current status of my mission-critical bits and pieces - and I retain each of those written "reports". Thus, over a period of several years I can observe the rate of brake pad and tire wear, and plan replacements in advance, before they get anywhere near causing me to fail the annual safety inspection.

A nice side benefit of the inspection process is that the mechanic will frequently "touch up" some loose ends as part of the service - like fill the tires to the exact factory recommended pressure. And while the dealership generally won't comment about safety items not required by state law to be examined and determined to pass/fail (probably for liability reasons), the service manager will often discuss matters like "are you sure the chain is set to the proper tension?" or "what oil are you using, dino or synthetic?", all of which is usually well-intentioned and usually helpful.

Hope this helps.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get on the floor and look at the DISC. Rubbing up against it IS the pad (that wears). After that is the steel backing.

The PAD wear limit is .020" (less than a spark plug gap, page 4-21, S2 Yamaha shop manual)

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are waaaaay nicer to your brakes than I am. I get less than 10k out of a front set (EBC HH).

For checking, I find it's easiest to check the inside pad by looking from the opposite side of the wheel with a flashlight, you can see the outside pad easily enough. There's no wear indicator on mine, so it's a judgement call about when it's too thin.

Keep in mind that the leading edge (toward the bottom of the caliper) may wear a little faster than the trailing edge.