how many miles before you changed your clutch plates?

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
so i do a lot of downshift rev matching and i suspect it can lower clutch life...? true? im at 8000 miles now. just wanna know when you guys change your clutch plates.

when i rev match sometimes it's not perfect so my bike will speed up a little when i dump the clutch after bliping throttle. this slips the clutch and increases wear right? yeah im working on rev blip accuracy.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it, it was designed for it and can handle it. I do the same and am currently at 21000 miles, clutch is not by far worn out.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you would really have to abuse a wet motorcycle clutch to wear one out. With proper care, the clutch should last at least as long as the engine does.

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
69,000 and still on the original clutch. These things are dang near indestructible.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
so i do a lot of downshift rev matching and i suspect it can lower clutch life...? true? im at 8000 miles now. just wanna know when you guys change your clutch plates.

when i rev match sometimes it's not perfect so my bike will speed up a little when i dump the clutch after bliping throttle. this slips the clutch and increases wear right? yeah im working on rev blip accuracy.

These clutches are extremely different from the clutches on cars.
They are meant to be slipped.

Proper clutch/throttle control will make it smooth as can be, so practice practice practice!

You should be blipping the throttle WHILE letting the clutch out, not either or.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
69,000 miles on a clutch is pretty damn amazing! I know on a properly used car, you can easily get 100k on a clutch. I have to imagine a bike's clutch is just as strong/durable, so just work on perfecting those re-matches and you'll be on your way to a clutch that outlasts the bike.:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be blipping the throttle WHILE letting the clutch out, not either or.

If you twist the throttle and engage the clutch at the same time you're going to put power to the rear wheel. Splitting hairs here but the clutch engagement really does need to follow the blip. When you blip it right, you can straight up drop the clutch.

69,000 miles on a clutch is pretty damn amazing! I know on a properly used car, you can easily get 100k on a clutch.

100K :eek: Should get more than that! All my cars (toyotas and hondas) have all had over 100K on them and I've never had to replace a clutch...they have all been used to teach people how to drive as well. Donated a 1993 civic with 215K on it that multiple people learned to drive on and that I beat on as a teenager while still running the stock clutch (slave went once but clutch was fine).

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My last two bikes had over 100,000 k's on them when I sold them and the clutch was fine.Never had to replace a clutch on any bike I,ve owned.