How low can you go.....(Twisties)

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Feelers will touch first. If youre gonna remove anything I would remove those first.

Feelers? What's that - pardon my ignorance :BLAA:

I read somewhere else on the forum that putting back the center stand is a biatch - some spring issue.

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Peg feelers...

fitted.jpg

Center stand is np to get back on...

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know your joking, but you should not have to do that... if you do, it probably means your body position isn't quite right, kinda like here (also visible in your avatar, where your pushing the bike down, but your upper body doesn't follow) :D

View attachment 26195

That angle should be > 90 degrees,... looks more like 75degrees or so. A good way to start to change this is to get your head and inside shoulder lower and forward into the curve. Again, i'm sure you know this, just making a point.

BTW, I have the same issue and I have been working on it...

189833d1244129181-willow-springs-big-track-memorial-day-3571921347_9f69541823_b.jpg

LOL....OK, maybe I'm joking a little, but with 235lbs on stock suspenders with standard height pegs, put on some decent rubber and those pegs are on the ground consantly. I do tend to poke my butoomshk out, 'cause I've been riding without leathers for so long, and keeping my knee tucked up. Now that I've got my leathers, I can do it better. But I will always keep my head up a bit on a public road (especially inside lane turns = left for us and right for you.)

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I like how the forum automatically finds related threads and groups them together.

Here's what I saw when logging onto the forum this evening.

attachment.php

Fred

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so we have seen what you crazy buggers have been up to!!!
I am posting this pic so you can make fun of me. :D
After owning my FZ6 (first ever bike) for 500 miles, I did a "Test the Track" class at our local Gateway International Raceway.
FZ6Nick said I needed to take a photo of my tire afterwards:

View attachment 26194

Not TOO bad for a newbie!
I had a good time, and learned a lot. I actually drug my toe (had no idea I should have moved it up) and my foot peg, which scared the cr@pola out of me!!
I might even do Test the Track again THIS year, and make my husband take his new bike, too!!
It's only $30, and you get to follow instructors through the lines.
(I was too slow last year to follow anyone!! :rof:)

Good job Beth! :thumbup:

$30 is great value. Costs about $140 here for a day, plus $150 for an instructor to follow you around. I will do it one day :D

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the pegs down, but still have chicken strips on pirellis:spank: I have been curious as to how the bike would handle if you continue lean while pegs are down. thats the only thing i'm not willing to do outside the track, go figure. it just seems like when the pegs are down, you will be soon after. any body got some experience they want to share on this?

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL....OK, maybe I'm joking a little, but with 235lbs on stock suspenders with standard height pegs, put on some decent rubber and those pegs are on the ground consantly. I do tend to poke my butoomshk out, 'cause I've been riding without leathers for so long, and keeping my knee tucked up. Now that I've got my leathers, I can do it better. But I will always keep my head up a bit on a public road (especially inside lane turns = left for us and right for you.)

Did not mean to offend. My bad :rockon:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the pegs down, but still have chicken strips on pirellis:spank: I have been curious as to how the bike would handle if you continue lean while pegs are down. thats the only thing i'm not willing to do outside the track, go figure. it just seems like when the pegs are down, you will be soon after. any body got some experience they want to share on this?

Body position.

Do you see Rossi dragging pegs around the track?

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's usually not "safe" per se :) but if you gradually touch down and carry it through smoothly I guess you're fine... If it happens to you too often though you should slow down, or work on your body positioning and/or change your suspension :thumbup: just my opinion....

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's usually not "safe" per se :) but if you gradually touch down and carry it through smoothly I guess you're fine... If it happens to you too often though you should slow down, or work on your body positioning and/or change your suspension :thumbup: just my opinion....

Noted. it doesnt happen very often because I dont like it. But I want see how much more lean I can squeeze out if needed. I ususally figure once my pegs touch down, Im tapped out on options, LOL.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it happens to you too often though you should slow down, or work on your body positioning and/or change your suspension :thumbup: just my opinion....

Good advice i reckon, suspension plays the biggest part in stopping this happening, and body positioning is very important, and also the hardest skill to perfect! I know that even after 20 years of riding on the road,my road riding skils are ok.

But as for THE TRACK, my ability to get my body positioning anywhere near right, has proved extremely challenging, and will take many more track days to get even close to right....at this point, i suck in terms of this!

It aint easy, but it's huge fun learning!

:thumbup:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Noted. it doesnt happen very often because I dont like it. But I want see how much more lean I can squeeze out if needed. I ususally figure once my pegs touch down, Im tapped out on options, LOL.

the more you hang off the side, the less you have to lean the bike. This is alot of my problem. A buddy with an R1 and I ride together and are fairly matched in the corners. he is running the Metzeler M3's and rides on the elephant, I hang off the side more and am just off the edge.

So hang off the side and you'll be fasssssssster with less lean.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Could be your over-compressing your suspension and as a result you're hitting the feelers first. When your in a turn and leaned, you start to compress your suspension so your clearances change. I know this from my own experience and changed my rear shock up 3 notches and it made a big difference. :rockon:

I ended up removing my center stand and still had to grind out some of the side stand casting to get the side stand to fold up in a higher position because I kept grinding an angle on the side stand foot on the ground. I also got the LuckyIrishBoy pegs which worked great.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My main riding buddy drags his passenger pegs on his V-strom DL1000...in the goaty stuff. He goes through turns with no weight on the inside peg because he has the bike completely decked out. I'm not saying this is cool, I'm saying it blows my mind.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did not mean to offend. My bad :rockon:

No offense taken mate. I welcome all the help I can get to become a better rider:thumbup:. I'll try to explain myself. Believe me, I too wish not to give offense (hence the prolific use of smileys in my posts usually:BLAA:...lol)

I do know that my body position is not even close to being right, on every single road except the 'D' road ). On the 'D' road you don't have to try to lift your head over the long grass to see what's coming or avoid branches that poke out from the side of the road at head height or spot assorted vehicles (inlcluding bikes) coming round corners in your lane, so I (and this is the only way I can think to try to explain it...lol) try to put my lower shoulder under the side bulge of the fuel tank and my head under the lower bar end. Another reason for doing it right on the 'D' road is that the speeds are a little higher (insert tuneless whistle):innocent: and you need to be laying on the tank or you won't last 5 minutes before you're rolling off the throttle and trying to stop looking at the sky:eek:....lol. Hmm..perspective....OK I know a guy who's been known to take 90km/h bends at 240km/h on the 'D' road. Short tubby bugga. Forget his name. Rides a black FZ1 just like mine.
But on the other roads, it's a self preservation thing that I've thought about and I'm going to keep doing it, 'cause I think I'm safer (whether or not this is true....who knows...lol...but I can only try):don'tknow:.

But I was doing it better through the kink at Lala's and had the peg on the deck the whole way through there. People not even hanging off aren't touching....lol...Being a fat Bastich is seriously p1551ng me off:rant:....lol.

Definitely need to upgrade the supposedly non-revalvable (B.S.) rear shock and go a stiffer spring. This will put a stop to a lot of the squirming and fishtailing too, I am sure.:rockon:

I've watched Wolfman who is a similar weight but has decent suspension and Rearsets, with offset plates, and does not hang off the bike on a public road (concious choice there which I applaud) and other than toe tapping I've never seen his pegs even get close to the deck.

So I reckon if I upgrade the suspension, and eventually get rearsets, my peg scraping days will be officially over. Can't afford to do it yet so I'll have to continue to ride around the problem and be very careful about how far over I go. I've only scraped the "Spud Cannon" once so I've got a pretty good idea where to stop.:D

Please continue to offer up advice mate, and if I sound less than graceful in my reception of it, give us a verbal slappin'.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No offense taken mate. I welcome all the help I can get to become a better rider:thumbup:. I'll try to explain myself. Believe me, I too wish not to give offense (hence the prolific use of smileys in my posts usually:BLAA:...lol)

I do know that my body position is not even close to being right, on every single road except the 'D' road ). On the 'D' road you don't have to try to lift your head over the long grass to see what's coming or avoid branches that poke out from the side of the road at head height or spot assorted vehicles (inlcluding bikes) coming round corners in your lane, so I (and this is the only way I can think to try to explain it...lol) try to put my lower shoulder under the side bulge of the fuel tank and my head under the lower bar end. Another reason for doing it right on the 'D' road is that the speeds are a little higher (insert tuneless whistle):innocent: and you need to be laying on the tank or you won't last 5 minutes before you're rolling off the throttle and trying to stop looking at the sky:eek:....lol. Hmm..perspective....OK I know a guy who's been known to take 90km/h bends at 240km/h on the 'D' road. Short tubby bugga. Forget his name. Rides a black FZ1 just like mine.
But on the other roads, it's a self preservation thing that I've thought about and I'm going to keep doing it, 'cause I think I'm safer (whether or not this is true....who knows...lol...but I can only try):don'tknow:.

But I was doing it better through the kink at Lala's and had the peg on the deck the whole way through there. People not even hanging off aren't touching....lol...Being a fat Bastich is seriously p1551ng me off:rant:....lol.

Definitely need to upgrade the supposedly non-revalvable (B.S.) rear shock and go a stiffer spring. This will put a stop to a lot of the squirming and fishtailing too, I am sure.:rockon:

I've watched Wolfman who is a similar weight but has decent suspension and Rearsets, with offset plates, and does not hang off the bike on a public road (concious choice there which I applaud) and other than toe tapping I've never seen his pegs even get close to the deck.

So I reckon if I upgrade the suspension, and eventually get rearsets, my peg scraping days will be officially over. Can't afford to do it yet so I'll have to continue to ride around the problem and be very careful about how far over I go. I've only scraped the "Spud Cannon" once so I've got a pretty good idea where to stop.:D

Please continue to offer up advice mate, and if I sound less than graceful in my reception of it, give us a verbal slappin'.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike.

Now that we have established that Mikey & Me are fat buggers!

It's true, on standard suspenders on the FZ6, i was scraping pegs, probably not as often as "Mike the Bike"...called this, cause he is never off the thing!

That was with the rear spring on 7, with me weighing in at about 105kg's...dry as a bone!!!

With the Ohlins rear spring with spring preload, compression damping, rebound damping, and length adjustment, all set up properly with a spring that works for my weight, and with a pillion...about 4 clicks on the compression damping.

Not only does the bike handle noticeably better, but it now sits noticeably higher than a normal FZ6...

End result, a bike that uses all the tyre, but doesnt touch down...well hardly ever, except mabye on very tight, off camber corners, when in Sports riding mode.

Just my 2 cents...

:thumbup: