How ironic!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
LAFAYETTE, NY (WSYR-TV) – New York State Troopers say one man is dead after a motorcycle crash near McClary Road and Route 11 in LaFayette on Saturday.

New York State Police say 55-year-old Philip Contos of Parish was part of a protest against motorcycle helmets.

Police say several motorists from the group ABATE (American Bikers Aimed for Education) of Onondaga County had come together to make a point that they didn't need their helmets.

The group was driving south on Route 11 in Lafayette around 1:30 p.m., headed toward Lake Como, just south of the Finger Lakes.

Police say Contos suddenly hit the brakes and lost control of the motorcycle.

According to troopers, Contos was thrown over his handlebars and hit the pavement as his 1993 Harley Davidson motorcycle skidded toward the guardrail.

Contos was still alive when crews arrived at the scene and was transported to Upstate University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

According to police, Contos was not wearing his helmet, as required by law. Witnesses say this decision was part of the protest.

Police say that based on evidence at the scene and from doctors, Contos would have survived if he had been wearing a DOT-Approved helmet.

Police are still investigating why Contos suddenly hit the brakes.

No other motorcycles were involved in the crash. Friends and members of the bike group put their helmets back on as they left the scene.

ABATE told NewsChannel 9 that they believe in freedom of choice and bikers know the risk when they ride without a helmet.

Police would like to remind motorists including motorcyclists to drive safely, soberly, and obey all rules of the road to ensure an enjoyable 4th of July holiday.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
They should have cited the other protesters for not wearing their lids.

episode-12.JPG

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
........Police say several motorists from the group ABATE (American Bikers Aimed for Education) of Onondaga County had come together to make a point that they didn't need their helmets..........................................

<It's actually 'A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments'>

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Well now they've educated the attendants of the event what will happen if you don't wear a helmet...

So they actually managed to live up too their name.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
If it wasn't a law I'd always wear one...

Same here, only our idiot former Governor decided it would be a good idea as his first act in office some years ago to abolish our helmet law, so we don't have one now anyway.

I'm sorry...while I feel awful for this guy's family, I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. Call me a callous bastard, but when you choose to participate in a hobby like riding a motorcycle and you don't do everything possible to protect yourself, you're just being selfish to everyone that cares about you.

I was reading through the comments on the original newspaper story and someone made a great point. The irony in all of this is that he's now become the poster child for exactly what he was protesting against. How ironic, indeed.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Even more ironic.

I still agree with the protest. The government should not be making laws to force people to be safe. The government has no place intruding on a persons freedom to risk his/her own safety.

That being said, I always wear a FULL FACE helmet though if there was a protest I would take my helmet off and ride but only for the protest.

Here is more IRONY for you guys to chew on.

IF government didn't make the law THERE WOULD BE NO PROTEST and the guy wouldn't be riding around with no helmet on having to protest government injustice and would still be alive right now. He and other riders obviously wore there helmets normally, given the fact after the crash suddenly everyone had there helmet after the indecent.

The only shame is the government is putting people in the place were they are forced to take risk they normally wouldn't do to respond to government intrusion in his/her personal life.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Even more ironic.

I still agree with the protest. The government should not be making laws to force people to be safe. The government has no place intruding on a persons freedom to risk his/her own safety.

I wear a helmet, but I don't care what others wear. I am anti-life. The human population is out of control. I advocate smoking, hard drinking, fatty foods, abortion, suicide, war, assault rifles, and playing in traffic. Of course, I try to avoid all those things myself.

As for the government having a place intruding on our freedoms to protect us... that ship has sailed and the public doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

That being said, I always wear a FULL FACE helmet though if there was a protest I would take my helmet off and ride but only for the protest.

Why would you do that? To fit in? There are plenty of people at ABATE protests in full gear.

Here is more IRONY for you guys to chew on.

IF government didn't make the law THERE WOULD BE NO PROTEST and the guy wouldn't be riding around with no helmet on having to protest government injustice and would still be alive right now. He and other riders obviously wore there helmets normally, given the fact after the crash suddenly everyone had there helmet after the indecent.

The only shame is the government is putting people in the place were they are forced to take risk they normally wouldn't do to respond to government intrusion in his/her personal life.

He'd be protesting something else. Maybe his right to drink and ride. Or else he'd already be dead from a previous accident w/o the protection of a helmet. All the ABATE guys just need to feel persecuted. They are victims. The big bad government is always taking their freedoms or trying to ram things down their throats.

In PA, legislators have proposed allowing motorcyclists to continue riding w/o a helmet, but requiring riders who want to do so to carry adequate medical insurance. Of course, ABATE flipped sh!t at this common sense proposal requiring at least a little bit of personal responsibility. They don't just want the freedom to risk their life... they want taxpayers to be on the hook when their risky behavior catches up with them. The thing that really gets me though, are their claims that helmets can be dangerous... that they obstruct vision or hearing, or will probably break your neck. And hey, it's not guaranteed to save your life 100% of the time. Plenty of motorcyclists have died wearing helmets. If they would stick to the freedom argument, I would support them. But their misinformation about the safety of helmets is offensive. If it ever came up on a ballot in PA, I would vote to make helmets mandatory again. Not because I think that should be the law, but because I am so tired of ABATE's misinformation that I would give up that small freedom just to spite them.

:rant::rant::rant:

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
.... you don't do everything possible to protect yourself, you're just being selfish to everyone that cares about you.

Trouble with that logic is, it is applicable to riding motorcycles in the first place....It is not the governments place to legislate over personal choices, other wise where do you draw the line???

Protesting against wearing a helmet is different is protesting against being forced by law to wear one.... and although anyone who rides without one is IMHO a right idiot... they should have the right to be an idiot....

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Trouble with that logic is, it is applicable to riding motorcycles in the first place....It is not the governments place to legislate over personal choices, other wise where do you draw the line???

Protesting against wearing a helmet is different is protesting against being forced by law to wear one.... and although anyone who rides without one is IMHO a right idiot... they should have the right to be an idiot....

To quote Dirty Harry...... "A man's got to know his limitations."

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad, I dont know. Maybe he left this world doing something he loved and was comfortable standing up for his right to make choices. It all comes down to the choices we make in life. I believe it should be your choice if you want to wear a helmet. IMHO, The Government should NOT have to tell someone to wear their helmet. The Government should NOT have to tell someone to wear their Seat Belt. The Government shouldnt have to tell you its right or wrong to smoke Pot. The Government shouldnt have to tell squat. So If people want to protest Helmet Laws they should have the right to. If this is the end result then it is the choice of the rider to not wear his helmet . He left this world on a choice he made. Bad as it may be that should be for the rider to decide NOT the government. Maybe as he was going over the bars he had a thought for a split second that wow, this was a bad choice. Or maybe he thought wow, so this is how I'm gonna die, how ironic bet If I made a better choice and wore a Helmet this wouldnt hurt so much!

I would never ride without a helmet, but that's my choice!

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

I wear a helmet, but I don't care what others wear. I am anti-life. The human population is out of control. I advocate smoking, hard drinking, fatty foods, abortion, suicide, war, assault rifles, and playing in traffic. Of course, I try to avoid all those things myself.

As for the government having a place intruding on our freedoms to protect us... that ship has sailed and the public doesn't seem to have any problem with it.

Why would you do that? To fit in? There are plenty of people at ABATE protests in full gear.

He'd be protesting something else. Maybe his right to drink and ride. Or else he'd already be dead from a previous accident w/o the protection of a helmet. All the ABATE guys just need to feel persecuted. They are victims. The big bad government is always taking their freedoms or trying to ram things down their throats.

In PA, legislators have proposed allowing motorcyclists to continue riding w/o a helmet, but requiring riders who want to do so to carry adequate medical insurance. Of course, ABATE flipped sh!t at this common sense proposal requiring at least a little bit of personal responsibility. They don't just want the freedom to risk their life... they want taxpayers to be on the hook when their risky behavior catches up with them. The thing that really gets me though, are their claims that helmets can be dangerous... that they obstruct vision or hearing, or will probably break your neck. And hey, it's not guaranteed to save your life 100% of the time. Plenty of motorcyclists have died wearing helmets. If they would stick to the freedom argument, I would support them. But their misinformation about the safety of helmets is offensive. If it ever came up on a ballot in PA, I would vote to make helmets mandatory again. Not because I think that should be the law, but because I am so tired of ABATE's misinformation that I would give up that small freedom just to spite them.

:rant::rant::rant:

Come on now, if you were tired of misinformation you would hate the government and probable every media outlet. Whatever spin ABATE puts out to try to help their cause is piddly compared to nonsense that comes out of government, politicians, marketing, and media every day.

Secondly, every single person who gets on motorcycle is choosing to assume unnecessary risk for his/her own personal pleasure. If maximizing safety was the issue why not just make motorcycles illegal on public roads, you would have less deaths and less medical care.

Thirdly, people like you need guys like ABATE out there. Motorcycles are an unnecessary risk for personal pleasure and guy like you need someone to point a self-righteous finger like a child trying to cover his/her own actions. The fact that "Johnny" is out there being more dangerous and unnecessary then you makes you feel better about your own dangerous and unnecessary actions so you can point the finger at him. Never mind the fact you are choosing to behave in a risky way just be getting on a motorcycle, as long as someone else is taking further than you can you can just point the finger and ignore your own actions.

God-forbid "johnny" stop being more dangerous than you, the last thing you want is to be the most dangerous "child" in the room so you are forced to analysis your own actions.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

Come on now, if you were tired of misinformation you would hate the government and probable every media outlet. Whatever spin ABATE puts out to try to help their cause is piddly compared to nonsense that comes out of government, politicians, marketing, and media every day.

Secondly, every single person who gets on motorcycle is choosing to assume unnecessary risk for his/her own personal pleasure. If maximizing safety was the issue why not just make motorcycles illegal on public roads, you would have less deaths and less medical care.

Thirdly, people like you need guys like ABATE out there. Motorcycles are an unnecessary risk for personal pleasure and guy like you need someone to point a self-righteous finger like a child trying to cover his/her own actions. The fact that "Johnny" is out there being more dangerous and unnecessary then you makes you feel better about your own dangerous and unnecessary actions so you can point the finger at him. Never mind the fact you are choosing to behave in a risky way just be getting on a motorcycle, as long as someone else is taking further than you can you can just point the finger and ignore your own actions.

God-forbid "johnny" stop being more dangerous than you, the last thing you want is to be the most dangerous "child" in the room so you are forced to analysis your own actions.

There will be no name calling or talking down to members in my thread. I will delete any of the such. Just state your opinion and move on. We're not all going to agree, but we don't have to be asses about it!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you think about it a helmet and some eye protection has a safety impact on others that aren't riding a bike. Like other drivers and pedestrian etc. The laws on DUI are not just for the person who operates a vehicle but for others as well.
I can protest and say I'm going to drink and drive because the gov't is infringing on my freedom and negate my responsibility to others, who by the way, pay taxes and have the right to travel in safe a manner as possible.

We might see some laws that have collective responsibility to us as a civilization/collective. So if you protest riding with a helmet and you want the freedom to choose, then I think that's okay but you have to ride on a road where there are no others you can harm. Ride in a state that agrees you have the right to cause risk to you and others.Ride a road that you pay all the taxes on. Too often we want to complain how the collective works against our personal freedom but then we don't think about the benefits we reap from civilization. We want the personal benefits without the personal responsibility we have to living together.
The machine you are riding and the roads you ride it on are created by a collective effort of all of us together.

Wearing a helmet is more than just a personal right or statement. I think the argument that it impedes your personal freedom is as shallow as the distance between the skull and the brain. :D

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
If you think about it a helmet and some eye protection has a safety impact on others that aren't riding a bike. Like other drivers and pedestrian etc. The laws on DUI are not just for the person who operates a vehicle but for others as well.
I can protest and say I'm going to drink and drive because the gov't is infringing on my freedom and negate my responsibility to others, who by the way, pay taxes and have the right to travel in safe a manner as possible.

We might see some laws that have collective responsibility to us as a civilization/collective. So if you protest riding with a helmet and you want the freedom to choose, then I think that's okay but you have to ride on a road where there are no others you can harm. Ride in a state that agrees you have the right to cause risk to you and others.Ride a road that you pay all the taxes on. Too often we want to complain how the collective works against our personal freedom but then we don't think about the benefits we reap from civilization. We want the personal benefits without the personal responsibility we have to living together.
The machine you are riding and the roads you ride it on are created by a collective effort of all of us together.

Wearing a helmet is more than just a personal right or statement. I think the argument that it impedes your personal freedom is as shallow as the distance between the skull and the brain. :D

While I agree with most of what you say, there are a few that I don't.
The laws on DUI are not just for the person who operates a vehicle but for others as well

You're comparing driving drunk to riding without a helmet? How so?

but you have to ride on a road where there are no others you can harm

Who else is harmed in a accident when "you" have no helmet on?

pay taxes and have the right to travel in safe a manner as possible.

What do taxes have to do with it?

A couple others but I'll save those.:)

Did I mention I agree with the helmet laws! :)

Last edited: