5. boots
6. life jacket (incase you crash in the water, always a good idea!) :thumbup:

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading the posts...you all have the crashing part covered. Have you ever been hit in the fingers by a June bug or a really big bee/wasp/hornet? I have. I was GLAD I was wearing gloves.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading the posts...you all have the crashing part covered. Have you ever been hit in the fingers by a June bug or a really big bee/wasp/hornet? I have. I was GLAD I was wearing gloves.

Great point Steph, add a piece of gravel to the list too! And here in the South they prevent sunburn too.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wreck one time without gloves, even at low speed, and it can rip your skin down to the bone in a split second. I dont even care if it is 200degrees outside, i always wear gloves.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
gloves are essential as crash protection, debris protection, and also slower-reflex prevention. Just imagine how your skin feels after being out in a really harsh wind for a while. Guaranteed, your hands won't react as quickly after 3 hours of windburn as they would with gloves on. If heat's your issue, Joe Rocket makes a mesh glove that is very ventilated, if comfort's the issue, try anything made out of a kangaroo leather (or Helds) and make sure the finger length is right, otherwise the ends of your gloves will rub on the tips of your fingers and be really annoying.

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Gloves are just a fundamental piece of gear for any rider... It protects you not only in case of falling down, but also against wind, bugs, cold, etc...

mag09

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a ''light'' accident yesterday, my bike it's all right, my body it's all right but my hands get bruised badly, and all these because i usually DONT wear gloves :spank:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not purchased gloves yet. Never had them in the past. Call me dumb, I never paid that much attention to gloves.

In your opinion how do you rate gloves as safety equipment?
[don't take this the wrong way] I am slightly astounded that you need a poll to answer this question.
Personally I hate wearing gloves, especially in traffic, I really don't like having sweaty hands in gloves. However, it is far more preferable wearing them than to consider the possible result of not wearing them. Try wiping your bum with a prosthetic hook [forgetting you have one ouch] after you lose your hand due to road rash and infection.
Nelly

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bottom line, cover everything.

I crashed 60+ on I75 in 1977 south of Lake City. Only 3" diameter road rash on my ass where the jeans ripped, Bell Star, gloves, jean jackey and cowboy boots covered the rest. Was soar as hell for a couple of weeks.

A friend dumped his Harley turning real slow, hit some dirt, no helmet, road rashed his face, he's all better now, good plastic surgeon.

Always wear your gear!:D

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry mate. I agree with all that has been said.

I hate to say it but there should be a 5th option in the poll titled "rhetorical question".

At 60kph (im not sure what that is in miles) you travel at 17 metres per second. As its been said the 1st thing you do in an "off" is put your hand out to break the fall. Even at this mundane speed it has the same effect as grabbing a hold of an angle grinder with your bare hands.

Nasty stuff indeed. :(

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle Consumer News had a good article recently on the skin used on the hand. It's specific to the function of the hand and grafting skin from another part of your body won't be as the original. You don't want to lose it in other words!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I feel naked without my gloves. I cannot ride without them. I have no issues with sweaty hands, even if it's a baking 115 degrees ( 46 C ) here in Las Vegas during the summer.

One thing that riders have not mentioned are that certain gloves will provide a better grip, which means better control of the bike.

Funny that this thread popped up, because I just got back from Brazil, where motorcyles and scooters were abundant, and I did not see a single rider wearing gloves. In fact, every rider I saw was a squid. Helmet only. Many riding in shorts, tennis shoes and even flip flops. The quality of the bikes were pretty low end. Cheap inexpensive bikes, lots of dual sports or if it wasn't, it was usually around 250cc bike. Saw one R1.