How Do You Wheelie?

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site
How often do you wheelie? How do you do it and what do you need to do to get the front end up on the fz6? Ive tryed power wheelie but it doesnt seem to have enough power to get it up on this bike. Floored it from a light and rode it to 10k and didnt get off the ground.

Pull in clutch run up to 10K and let her rip. If you don't flip it you should pull quite the wheelie. Save your neck, the fork seals , etc. use a dirt bike for the wheelies.
I have pulled the front in some tight uphill first gear full throttle or when hitting second under said full throttle. I wouldn't think of the 6 as a wheelie machine, but hey I am old and fat:)

I had an nice one today where I had a steady roll on to 7,500 and then PINNED IT! BAM! came right up, nice and smooth. All while in 1st.

1st of all, I'm not a wheelie guy. When I see an R1 riding a wheelie down the freeway my first thought is "douche bag." (no offense...really. Just a reaction. I can respect hooliganism)

With that said...
I don't ride my Fazer at excessive high speed very often, but I do like get to the speed limit (or thereabouts) quickly, which the FZ6 is rather adept at doing. After putting 1200 miles on mine with the front end on the ground all 1200 miles I had a bit of surprise one day last week. After pulling away from a stop at a normal clip i decided to wind it out and "HOLY CRAP! The front end is a foot off the ground!" It scared me a little bit, but mostly it was pretty damn exciting. I'm impressed that it can do a rolling wheelie, or whatever you call a wheelie that doesn't begin from a dead stop... uphill... with a bag of concrete on the back (alla Penny Racer.)

Note: I'm into Sport Touring which is exactly what I bought my bike for. The power and handling this machine has was a helluva bonus. :rockon:

I've done a few of these powered rolling wheelies myself. First one was a shock but now I know what to look for and stop it before it lifts more than a few inches. I'm never out to just do a wheelie on purpose and agree, leave it for the dirt bikes.

But, if you must, do it in a controlled area so you don't put anyone in danger but YOU. Do not do this on the street! Don't be "That guy!"

I only wheelie by accident, I'm late into biking and the bikes I have are too expensive to fall off! I never try, just sometimes think 'oops, I accelerated real hard and the front went very light - I guess that's another power wheelie!

Wheelies? Very hard on bikes. I can name 10 bad things from doing a PROPER WHEELIE:

-Engine Wear
-Stretched Chain
-Fluid Upset
-Front Suspension damage
-Front Tire Damage
-Front Wheel Warp
-Stressed Rear Shock
-Stressed Clutch Plates
-Worn Transmission Gears
-Cops

I could name a million bajillion kazillion things that could go wrong by doing an IMPROPER WHEELIE, but I'll only say one:

YOU COULD DIE!!
(or)
SOMEBODY ELSE COULD DIE!!

CONCLUSION? -It's not worth it.

HOW TO DO A WHEELIE

What is a wheelie?
-A stunt that makes a vehicle balance itself only on the rear wheels, while the front ones are off the ground.

Why would someone do a wheelie?
-Fun or suicide.

Who does Wheelies?
-Daredevils, Stunters (movies or exhibitionists), Professional Racers, Professional Riders, Thrillers, Showoffs and Idiots.

LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS
Wheelies on public roads are illegal. You could be minimally charged with STUNTING, which entails a drastic fine of up to $10000 US/CAN (minimum $2000) and up to 6 months in jail. Impounded vehicles are assured. License suspension could be up to 2 years for a first offense, 10 years if you do it again.

Where to pop a wheelie:
Racetracks, permissible private properties, away from hazards and people. Never in these instances perform wheelies in the dark or in strong winds. Wear safety gear.

POWER WHEELIE (ROLL-ON WHEELIE)
You need a powerful engine with a narrow wheelbase to perform this one. You take a strong engine (1 L are good) and accelerate hard in 1st gear from a standstill or slow speed. The front will rise and become light. Lessen the throttle to lower the front back down. GO STRAIGHT ONLY. DO NOT STAY ALOFT FOR A FIRST ATTEMPT. IF YOU DON’T LESSEN THE THROTTLE, YOU WILL BACKFLIP AND CRASH. Doing this up a hill will make it easier.

FZ6 CONSIDERATIONS
The detuned 600cc engine will not be easy to power wheelie. You will need to sit back and possibly practice up a slight hill.

-Standstill or slow speed
-1st gear
-Hard Throttle
-Lessen Throttle when front rises
-Rear brake if front rises too high
-Practice by staying aloft longer each time
-Master the throttle control

CLUTCH WHEELIE (SLIP-CLUTCH WHEELIE)
I personally call these LUNGE WHEELIES. You don’t need an exceptionally powerful engine to perform this one, but the result is more violent than a POWER WHEELIE. You pull in the clutch (open) while going a slow speed. Afterward, you quickly drop the clutch (engage) while applying high power at the same time. In other words, you slip the clutch and add a throttle spike at the same time. The instant the front leaps up, lessen the throttle to lower the front.

FZ6 CONSIDERATIONS
This is a primary method for wheeling the FZ6. Do note that this method is mechanically hard on the parts, especially the chain. The idea is to YANK the drive chain to create a roll up with the rear wheel. It’s violent and shocking.

-Slow Speed
-1st Gear
-Pull Clutch
-Burst throttle while dropping clutch at the same time
-Lessen Throttle when front rises suddenly
-Practice by doing short bursts
-Master clutch AND throttle control
-Performing this at standstill or very slow speeds is difficult, due to balancing issues.

BRAKE WHEELIE
This method is for experts only. You begin at a slow speed and slowly depress the rear brake while applying more throttle at the same time. You need to master your throttle sensitivity in order to balance the brake and throttle properly. Your speed should not change as you apply more rear brake and throttle together. Once the throttle is open enough, based on your previous experience, you instantly release the brake. The motorcycle will lunge into a wheelie.

FZ6 CONSIDERATIONS
I’m personally not sure if the FZ6 has enough brake and throttle power to perform a BRAKE WHEELIE. Even if it does, this method is very hard on ALL mechanical parts of the motorcycle. There is a high chance the fuel mixture will flood the system.

-Slow Speed
-1st Gear
-Gently apply rear brake and extra throttle at the same time
-Your speed should not change
-Extra brake with extra throttle
-Release brake quickly
-Rear Brake if front rises too high
-Practice other methods first

LANDING
Always keep your front wheel straight when landing. A professional will typically lessen the throttle to bring the front back down. Just before the front wheel makes touchdown, apply more throttle to cause a gentler landing.

NOTE- If you go out and try this, don’t come crying back to me if you kill yourself. I’m not responsible for the outcome of ANY attempted wheelie; success or fail.

Wheelies? Very hard on bikes. I can name 10 bad things from doing a PROPER WHEELIE:

-Engine Wear
-Stretched Chain
-Fluid Upset
-Front Suspension damage
-Front Tire Damage
-Front Wheel Warp
-Stressed Rear Shock
-Stressed Clutch Plates
-Worn Transmission Gears
-Cops

I could name a million bajillion kazillion things that could go wrong by doing an IMPROPER WHEELIE, but I'll only say one:

YOU COULD DIE!!
(or)
SOMEBODY ELSE COULD DIE!!

CONCLUSION? -It's not worth it.

HOW TO DO A WHEELIE

What is a wheelie?
-A stunt that makes a vehicle balance itself only on the rear wheels, while the front ones are off the ground.

Why would someone do a wheelie?
-Fun or suicide.

Who does Wheelies?
-Daredevils, Stunters (movies or exhibitionists), Professional Racers, Professional Riders, Thrillers, Showoffs and Idiots.

LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS
Wheelies on public roads are illegal. You could be minimally charged with STUNTING, which entails a drastic fine of up to $10000 US/CAN (minimum $2000) and up to 6 months in jail. Impounded vehicles are assured. License suspension could be up to 2 years for a first offense, 10 years if you do it again.

Where to pop a wheelie:
Racetracks, permissible private properties, away from hazards and people. Never in these instances perform wheelies in the dark or in strong winds. Wear safety gear.

POWER WHEELIE (ROLL-ON WHEELIE)
You need a powerful engine with a narrow wheelbase to perform this one. You take a strong engine (1 L are good) and accelerate hard in 1st gear from a standstill or slow speed. The front will rise and become light. Lessen the throttle to lower the front back down. GO STRAIGHT ONLY. DO NOT STAY ALOFT FOR A FIRST ATTEMPT. IF YOU DON’T LESSEN THE THROTTLE, YOU WILL BACKFLIP AND CRASH. Doing this up a hill will make it easier.

FZ6 CONSIDERATIONS
The detuned 600cc engine will not be easy to power wheelie. You will need to sit back and possibly practice up a slight hill.

-Standstill or slow speed
-1st gear
-Hard Throttle
-Lessen Throttle when front rises
-Practice by staying aloft longer each time
-Master the throttle control

CLUTCH WHEELIE (SLIP-CLUTCH WHEELIE)
I personally call these LUNGE WHEELIES. You don’t need an exceptionally powerful engine to perform this one, but the result is more violent than a POWER WHEELIE. You pull in the clutch (open) while going a slow speed. Afterward, you quickly drop the clutch (engage) while applying high power at the same time. In other words, you slip the clutch and add a throttle spike at the same time. The instant the front leaps up, lessen the throttle to lower the front.

FZ6 CONSIDERATIONS
This is a primary method for wheeling the FZ6. Do note that this method is mechanically hard on the parts, especially the chain. The idea is to YANK the drive chain to create a roll up with the rear wheel. It’s violent and shocking.

-Slow Speed
-1st Gear
-Pull Clutch
-Burst throttle while dropping clutch at the same time
-Practice by doing short bursts
-Master clutch AND throttle control
-Performing this at standstill or very slow speeds is difficult, due to balancing issues.

BRAKE WHEELIE
This method is for experts only. You begin at a slow speed and slowly depress the rear brake while applying more throttle at the same time. You need to master your throttle sensitivity in order to balance the brake and throttle properly. Your speed should not change as you apply more rear brake and throttle together. Once the throttle is open enough, based on your previous experience, you instantly release the brake. The motorcycle will lunge into a wheelie.

FZ6 CONSIDERATIONS
I’m personally not sure if the FZ6 has enough brake and throttle power to perform a BRAKE WHEELIE. Even if it does, this method is very hard on ALL mechanical parts of the motorcycle. There is a high chance the fuel mixture will flood the system.

-Slow Speed
-1st Gear
-Gently apply rear brake and extra throttle at the same time
-Your speed should not change
-Extra brake with extra throttle
-Release brake quickly
-Rear Brake if front rises too high
-Practice other methods first

LANDING
Always keep your front wheel straight when landing. A professional will typically lessen the throttle to bring the front back down. Just before the front wheel makes touchdown, apply more throttle to cause a gentler landing.

NOTE- If you go out and try this, don’t come crying back to me if you kill yourself. I’m not responsible for the outcome of ANY attempted wheelie; success or fail.

Elm - Its okay, really...

use a dirt bike for the wheelies.

So many reasons to love dirt! What's hooliganism on the street is Just Getting Around on the dirt. :)

212.jpg

2337.jpg

880.jpg

just pop the clutch on the FZ6. first gear i never rev it past 9 and it shoots up. so if your not familiar with the power/torque in first i would suggest trying it in second. i say this because that is how i got "used" to popping the clutch. when you do it in second it doesnt do a full on wheelie but you get the feel for what would happen. but if you want to wheelie in second pop it around 10 grand. thats just my experiences tho.

(First proper, proper wheelie)

type this in the search bar and there is a huge discussion on wheelies.

would do link but dont know how sry

Pull in clutch run up to 10K and let her rip. If you don't flip it you should pull quite the wheelie. Save your neck, the fork seals , etc. use a dirt bike for the wheelies.
I have pulled the front in some tight uphill first gear full throttle or when hitting second under said full throttle. I wouldn't think of the 6 as a wheelie machine, but hey I am old and fat:)

Were Trying to learn how to wheelie. NOT Kill ourselves or wreck our bikes.

Lmfao... I would have to agree. Doing a wheelie on the freeway is insane!
At least id never do it. You see the worlds fastest Stoppie? 130mph and the guy didnt go over his bars or dump it once. Insane!!! www.UpOnOne.com - Motorcycle Videos, Pictures, Links, News, Reviews, How To's, Shops and More!

1st of all, I'm not a wheelie guy. When I see an R1 riding a wheelie down the freeway my first thought is "douche bag." (no offense...really. Just a reaction. I can respect hooliganism)

With that said...
I don't ride my Fazer at excessive high speed very often, but I do like get to the speed limit (or thereabouts) quickly, which the FZ6 is rather adept at doing. After putting 1200 miles on mine with the front end on the ground all 1200 miles I had a bit of surprise one day last week. After pulling away from a stop at a normal clip i decided to wind it out and "HOLY CRAP! The front end is a foot off the ground!" It scared me a little bit, but mostly it was pretty damn exciting. I'm impressed that it can do a rolling wheelie, or whatever you call a wheelie that doesn't begin from a dead stop... uphill... with a bag of concrete on the back (alla Penny Racer.)

Note: I'm into Sport Touring which is exactly what I bought my bike for. The power and handling this machine has was a helluva bonus. :rockon:

ya, I know. I cant even do a wheelie on accident. lol
eather I cant tell when im doing one or my bike just cant do one.

I've done a few of these powered rolling wheelies myself. First one was a shock but now I know what to look for and stop it before it lifts more than a few inches. I'm never out to just do a wheelie on purpose and agree, leave it for the dirt bikes.

But, if you must, do it in a controlled area so you don't put anyone in danger but YOU. Do not do this on the street! Don't be "That guy!"

Basically you hit it right on the money.
All I want to know is how to get the feeling of the front end getting up so I know what to look for. So i dont want to do a full wheelie just get the wheel up an inch or two. So in second just slip it at 10k from what speed. 25mph?
is 10k too much thou? or is that for a full wheelie?

just pop the clutch on the FZ6. first gear i never rev it past 9 and it shoots up. so if your not familiar with the power/torque in first i would suggest trying it in second. i say this because that is how i got "used" to popping the clutch. when you do it in second it doesnt do a full on wheelie but you get the feel for what would happen. but if you want to wheelie in second pop it around 10 grand. thats just my experiences tho.

can i throw some logic at you? why do they put 2 wheels on a motorcycle? hmmm, kind of makes you think, do you suppose they were ment to both be on the ground together at the same time at all times? save it for the track, do not do wheelies on public roads, on the highway, in your subdivision. if you kill someone or injure an innocent person, never mind damage to your own body, you will go to jail for a long time. i would suggest if you try to do a wheelie, have a friend nearby with a cell phone, so he can call the ambulance. get life insurance if you have any loved ones for whom you are supporting. good luck.

Back