How do you prepare for a new riding season?

How Do You Prepare For The New Riding Season

• Bike Maintenance, Ride

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Mental Prep, Bike Maintenance, Ride

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Mental Prep, Riding Gear Inspection, Bike Maintenance, Ride

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Just Get On and Go For What You Know

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Mental Prep, Gear Inspection, Bike Maintenance, Call a Friend, Ride

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I watch youtube montages of motorcycle crashes so I remember not to drive like a squid and remind myself to respect the machine and stay in control...

On the bike I check stuff like tire pressure etc. but I always change all my fluids before I put it away for the winter, so realistically she's ready to ride

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished up with a lot of maintenance on the bike, Monday I pick up the Golden goose egg. Not gonna lie, I was a little nervous about going out on the bike. I mentally prepped myself like use to before a search and rescue mission, I knew the bike was good, and laid out all my riding gear. After 3 months of not riding I didn't skip a beat. The awareness, focus, and feel of the controls came right back.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As FZSexy and VegasRider mentioned, sometimes no "season". This was my experience this year although not normal. The eastern US got hammered again this year, Boston actually got more inches of snow than utard's ski areas! :eek: I rode all winter long this time, with the exception of about 3 weeks when we actually had some snow/ice.
Pig is actually due for an oil change, and a bath; otherwise, no prep necessary this spring.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
As another all year rounder, it's kinda just another day riding wise. As for the bike, the transition from winter in to spring is mostly cleaning. It gets treated with ACF50 for winter, so all that gets scrubbed off. I usually need a new chain and sprockets due to millage once a year, so I time that in for spring, so they're nice for summer. The only extras for this year are my belly pan and fly screen mounts need a dose of hammerite and I'm trying to source some stainless brake rotor bolts as they look really bad now.

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine will get an oil change, some scrubbing on the chain, possibly a new battery, and a loving scrub down and waxing. Sadly, my riding season doesn't start till mid May when I get done with 5 months of training with the Army. I can't wait to start riding down here at Ft Rucker, it's beautiful! I have to say though, I never want to go this long without riding again, not gonna lie. My Uncle has been starting it up and warming it up for me so at least it isn't just sitting there for 5 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan to check the tire pressure, check the functions of the brakes, and ride off! My bike has been sitting for three months. It's almost time to get up on it!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
It hasn't been mentioned so I'll throw it out there, but make sure things like throttle cable tension and clutch cable actuation are all well adjusted. Mine were out of whack and the bike rides way better now.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing I need to do, is clean my bike. I have not been riding much the last couple of years, due to job change(s).

This space intentionally left blank.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First year in 5 that it didn't just sit there under a cover for 3 to 4 months. The bike is close by (this year) and the weather so mild it was ridden several times vs being parked!

As you may know, maintenance is not something I neglect! I haven't had to walk in boots yet and I don't plan on it now! :thumbup:

As for the mental game, debris and gravel tend to keep your focus but w/out snow this year, its looking pretty good - well except the rain!

Reaction score
Visit site
..there's a season?!:eek:

No in all seriousness it's the same as for the rest of the year except days are warmer so thermals can come out of the riding gear at some point, turns can be taken at greater speeds with more lean and the throttle can be wound open more than usual. More fun, basically.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also in VA (central) and there is no riding season in the Mid-Atlantic only a season where you can't ride every day! I rode probably 10 days in December, 10 in January, 7 in February and at least 10 so far in March.

I prep for the FULL TIME riding season by doing bike maintenance, especially tires and brakes and ride! The more you ride the less you need to be worried about because it becomes natural. I do like to watch videos of squids crashing in the winter to remind myself to be mentally prepared to avoid idiots on the road.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I am finally starting to come out of hibernation myself! Seems I go in to hibernation on this forum when the cover goes on my bike. Probably for the better so I don't go crazy for the 5 months I can't ride!

In the next week or so I will get her uncovered and do some bit of maintenance. I have an unheated garage, so doing this over the winter would be miserable.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i walk outside and ride. my off season is when the bike is parked overnight :D

Yes, for many of us, there is no such thing as a new riding season, just a new day.

As FZSexy and VegasRider mentioned, sometimes no "season". I rode all winter long

I agree with the above sentiments, very lucky here in Melbourne that temp fluctuations are from about 3 celsius as a low in winter to highs around 15-16 and summer varies from 15ish as low points up to 40 on the worst days of summer- so winter ...jackets and plastics over pants(draggins) or summer....mesh and the draggins- same boots year round and summer winter gloves as needed. Today:- top of 17 still in summer gloves but with leather jacket. you cant complain with that- sorry you folk that get snow/ice

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Been off the bike since Nov (Knee surgery). Gave it a good once over, fresh oil n filter, air, charged the battery, lubed the greasy bits and cleaned the rest... then took off slowly, steadily for a few close to home rides to get back in the saddle and not look or ride like knob/noob... Take it easy, theres some killers out there, pot holes and distracted drivers alike.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mental Prep: Spending countless dark winter weekends re-watching MotoGP seasons while wearing full gear and slowly rocking back and forth.

Riding Gear Inspection: Unpacking the latest "celebrate beginning of the new season" present to myself

Bike Maintenance: unplugging the trickle charger

RIIIIIIIIDE!!!!!!