How do I explain a street bike to friends and loved ones?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok EVERYONE i know hated the idea of my getting a bike. i tried everything nobody would budge.

then i went out and JUST DID IT. came home with a bike and for a few days it was hell. but with a soft voice, sound logic, and taking their fears and understanding their fears and communicating openly, honestly, and lovingly...they got over it. now they still kind of hate it but they know i have to ride to be happy. its just who i am....rather it is who i have BECOME. best decision i ever made.....ever.

hope that helps

good luck on whatever you choose to do.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. I’m 17 years old and have spent most of my life racing motocross and riding dirt bikes, as ive grown up I have found no time to ride, train or race. I have excepted that and understand its all part of growing up, even if I could ride I cant take the chance of getting hurt coming up on college in august.

I need something to substitute the excitement of motocross, any one here who has raced can agree with me that that is a feeling that is almost impossible to replicate. Without it I have no way to release all of my frustrations and stresses related to life. So long story shortened a bit, I want a road bike, at this point I plan on buying a FZ6 at the end of the upcoming winter.

My girlfriend of 3 years and her family has voiced a strong opposition to me getting a bike. Her father is a automotive painter who has painted the bikes of many people who have died riding and had many friends who have died riding. Her mother is a caring person who is a tad bit over protective and my girlfriend herself has never done anything close to racing and doesn’t understand the rush that I no longer get.

i just reolized i probly posted this in the wrong section so any moderaters that want to move this feel free.

Now that I have explained my situation I finish with my question. What is the best way to explain to people who done understand me getting a bike, that I will be safe and that this is something I need? Thank you for taking the time to read this and any suggestions will help.:popcorn:

my father is ok with me getting a bike. his brother was injured in a bad motorcycle accident but my father has excepted the accident was my uncles fault not the drivers that hit him.

I feel ya man but if that where my daughter I would probabally not be ok with a 17 year guy riding her around... I mean you've hardly spent (legally) any amount of time driving cars on the road let alone a bike.

It sucks I know but I thought I was doing to do great coming from a dirtbike background untill I got to MSf.. then it was "put more fingers on the break lever... dont put your feet down to turn... wrong wrong wron". It takes time to break those habits...

Get a good beginer bike (maybe an fz) and dont ride your girlfrined on the back untill you both are old enough to by health insurance and atleast get a ton of miles under your belt...

just my $.02

-- but come to think of it when I was in your position I remember having girl firend's parents that where ok with a scooter but not a motorcycle ???

I guess it's just because when you wreck a scooter you can't get hurt like on a big bike (sarcasm!)

oh and how exactly are you going to reproduce the race feeling commuting on a street bike?

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
didnt realize youre 17 years old. might be good to wait a while. not because ur insane and will race on the roads (which you might) but instead because 3-5 years of real world traffic experience will be helpful when learning how to handle variable traffic conditions.

other than that, getting a 250-400cc dual sport you may find very rewarding. itll be a good starter on the roads, and u can dirt with it when u want to so ur not always in traffic. but learning to handle traffic is a big lesson to learn. you will have many close calls in traffic anyway in ur first 3-5 years....do you really want to be on a bike when they happen? if i were you id want to have a cage around me while im building up the experience and racking up my first miles for 3-5 years theres a reason ur insurance is so high as a young male. ur gonna get into accidents in traffic in ur first 3-5 years. u may not, but it is very likely you will.

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my humble opinion, if you really love her, don't sacrifice her trust and peace of mind (or that of her family) for some thrills.