hiya, center stand help.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lucky local Tescos lets you just insert your card in the pump and refuel.
Don't even have to get off the bike.
How's that for lazy? ;)

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem at first. As usual technique overcomes brute force. The mistake I made was that the handle bars were turned all the way to the left. So as I would stand with all my weight on the Center Stand the bike would not want to roll back. Now I simply grab the left handlebar and straighten it so that when I stand on the center stand, the bike can nicely roll back and stand up on the center stand.

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
great advice all. the center stand is best deployed using your leg and foot as the force, and your hands as a means to balance it up and back. its all in the leg. side stand up, put the foot lever down, even out the bike so it stands straight, and drive the foot lever down as firmly as possible, while guiding and balancing with both hands.

i dont fill my tank on the center stand as gas expands when hot, and i dont want to take any chance of it expanding out of the over fill somehow. gas goes in the tank, anywhere else and its a safety issue. a cup less of fuel makes no difference to when i fill up next.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad I found this thread so I didn't have to directly admit I couldn't get the bike on the centerstand. Now I can!

I'm surprised that several people are saying that the centerstand is not as stable as the side stand (and one other person said the opposite). Compared to my previous bike, the FZ6 doesn't lean much over when on the side stand, and is certainly less stable than the Buell Blast was on its side stand, which leaned over quite a bit more. I've felt like someone sort of leaning on it could easily push it fully vertical and then over. Sometimes I've been anxious about using the side stand on streets where there is a slight angle down to create a water channel next to the curb. That slight angle has the bike almost vertical on the side stand, close to having the center of gravity on the wrong side. When I just put the FZ6 on the center stand, it felt rock solid. Can't imagine wind less than a hurricane knocking it over. I don't think leaning on it would knock it over either.

I'd like to hear why people feel the center stand isn't as stable as the side stand.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to hear why people feel the center stand isn't as stable as the side stand.

The sidestand provides a wider 3-point stance. A locked rear wheel = parking brake (in gear).

The bike can be tipped from the front wheel to the rear fairly easily while on the centerstand. Picture a kid crawling around on you bike while it's on the centerstand.

Since the centerstand holds all but ~40 pounds, it may sink on soft asphalt even though it has wide contact points. If you slip a crushed coke can or something similar under the side stand, you should be good to go.

I've moved my bike around in tight spaces quite a bit, on both the side and centerstand, and have found that it's more prone to tipping over - from being bumped into - on the centerstand.

cyberdude

Reaction score
Visit site
approach bike from the left side,
grab left handle with left hand
using your right hand grab the rear seat handle,
then push down on the center stand with your right heel, pulling yourself down until you manage to bring it up on the stand.

:thumbup:

shiner

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guy's new to the forum, i have a fz6n and its my first big bike after passing my test, i must say its **** hot i love the way it handels and love the contol in corners, i have re sprayed her myself put scorpions on her new bars new indecators rim tape grips k&n irridum sparkys the lot but i am annoyed she never came with a centre stand. So i bought a paddock stand, i must say it works but i went and got a center stand but i got it from ebay and have no idea how to fit it any one got any close up pics of theres? so i can get an idea of how it fit???:thumbup: thanks all.

:uk::uk:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Ok, today after only 300 miles on the OD, i decided to use some wd40 sprayed onto a rag to clean the gunk off the chain. Then I lubbed up the chain making dang sure lube didnt go anywhere else but the chain. I have to say it would have been convienent to use the center stand, but obviously I dont have the proper technique for getting the bike up high enough to get it to stand up on it.
Anyone have a tip?
I dont know if its a question of strength, I am 5 foot 6 inch, 185 lbs, can bench 200 ish. but bike weighs near to 400 lbs.

Load's of video's on this on Youtube, - here is one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDNqCMNau9A]YouTube - NB's F6550GS - How to Put the Motorcycle on the Centerstand[/ame]