Highway grates/grooves, no sleep strips, whatever

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what they're called, but I'm guessing you all know what I'm talking about by now. The little rumble strips on the lines of the roads...

My question: how dangerous are they on a bike? I know when I cross the center line to pass in my truck it affects my steering significantly. I'm hoping this is due to the tread on the tires. I was lucky enough to get behind some maniac on a harly passing like crazy. He passed me first, then tailgated the semi in front of me for a bit till he got to a hill and passed him. I was watching closely and didn't notice any odd trajectories due to the rumble strip, but I'm still conserned about it. For a while, I'll probably just avoid passing on the highway, but I want to be ready in case I really need to.

So, how hard are rumble strips on your bike? Do you notice them at all?

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
When I started riding center lines, reflectors, ridged bridges(metal draw bridge) or cracks/gouges in road surfaces gave me a chill(freak out actually) every time. Just remember to relax and bike will ride out the ridge without a problem. Now I don't mind them, I am a little more careful if it's wet since lines can be slippery then. New rider anxiety, I remember it well!

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of weekends ago I crossed them several time doing about 120 no problems. Actually they seemed less noticeable at that speed than at 85,90.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and

Botts' Dots
These rounded, raised plastic, ceramic, or polyester domes that serve to
mark off freeway lanes are almost exclusively known by their pleasing-to-the-ear nickname rather than by their
more proper (and descriptive) designation.
Botts' Dots are named for their inventor, Elbert Botts, a chemist who worked for Caltrans (California Department
of Transportation) in the 1950s as chief of the highway-pavement division. They were designed to enhance
painted lines used in designating freeway lanes. Repainting these lines season after season was proving to be
both costly and dangerous (the more often Caltrans workers were exposed to vehicles zooming by, the more
often there would be a mishap), thus an alternate solution was sought.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Almost 17,000 miles, and I have yet to ride across a steel grated draw bridge. If I ever make it Portland (Oregon), I'm going to make a point to make a couple of trips across one of those damn bridges.