Higher steady RPMs ok?

C

CoolATIGuy

Have only had the bike a little over a month, I typically ran around the 5k-7k rpm mark if not accelerating. I've been trying to run higher lately - much better response quicker and on tap when acceleration is needed, but I don't like the high lawn-mower sound/feel to the high rpms when keeping a steady speed at the higher rpms. I also had this feeling that it would be better on the engine and give better gas mileage staying in a lower rpm range/higher gear. I filled up today and still got ~55 mpg though - so:

1. Is it bad to cruise around in the 8k-9k rpm range? What's the highest rpm you can stay steady at without hurting the engine, both around the city and on the highway? Would you cruise at 70-80mph in 5th gear for an extended period, for example?

2. Does it give worse gas mileage to be in a lower gear/higher rpm range, or better since it doesn't have to work so hard to accelerate when needed?

It's amazing the get up and go you suddenly have once you pass the 6k-8k or so rpm mark - you can suddenly have instant acceleration and get going.

newb here - thx!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally will go to a higher gear which keeps the RPM down. However if I think im going to need a quick burst of speed I'll keep it between 8,000 and 10,000, usually not for real long periods of time. Only time I have it a long way from the power is when I'm just loafing along and don't have any need for quick accleration - not too hard to drop down 3 gears but does take some time. As it is hot this time of the year I try and avoid high RPS in 1st for any length of time as it is putting more heat in the engine without much speed for airflow thru the radiator. On the highway don't think it is bad to run 8 or 9 K. Caution, watch the temps and use a good synthetic oil and don't run high RPM's till the bike is warmed up.

My thoughts, very interested in what others have to say.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it depends, normally you don't need the high rpm in the city unless you are trying to go fast all the time but that would be a bad habit. So I just Cruzzzz around the - 6k mark as I have enough power to overtake and what not. Accasionally I will be higher when I'm going trough curves. Just remember the higher the Rpm the more wear and tear you are putting on the bike. Just because our engines can reach high rpm's doesn't mean it's ok to keep them up all the time. I am no mechanic expert but every vehicle manual I read states to avoid high rpm's for better mpg and less wear and tear on the engine

C

CoolATIGuy

I read somewhere on here they mentioned 8k rpm's was our sweet spot - that was prob just an opinion though. I do like having the quicker more immediate power on hand though - fun. :)

Even on these hot summer days and sitting at lights, I virtually always stay right at 4 (sometimes 3) bars for the temp.

One of the side benefits to starting with a smaller bike (like my old ninja 250) is you learn to use the gears, you can't just twist the throttle in 6th from a standstill and do a wheelie like the liter bikes.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my 600 and now my 1000 on our twisty roads for 30 to 80 miles at a time above 7k to red line every chance I get. No problem for these inline 4's, they love it! These motors are built to run at high rpm, have some fun! With good care these motors will last 100k or more.
My FZ6 would still get 41-43 at these levels but the FZ1 with breathing mods won't do so well but the fun factor is really there.
What's really hard on these motors is to ride around at to low rpm (sub 5k) much of the time.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious how cruising at low rpm could be bad for the engine. Please explain

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
A engine running at 10k will always wear faster then one at 5k. High rpm's will means bearings, valves, valve springs, pistons /rings, timing chain / tensioner, will be doing more work.

Also the more hp being produced will be wasted at cruising speeds. Lets say it takes 10 hp to keep your bike rolling at say 70mph. Why would you be using a rpm range producing 70+ hp. You end up still doing 70 mph but use more fuel while creating more heat and wear.

Of course it does make your bike louder so everyone around you can hear how cool you are.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's ok to cruise at higher RPM's. Increased wear will be negligible, unless your're always at 9K or higher, every time you ride(ie, abusing it). I usually keep it at higher RPM's in the city, just to have more power on tap. When I say higher RPM's, I mean around 7K, rarely higher. On the freeway I'll just cruise in 6th gear, no need for much higher RPM's there. In the twisties, I'll be around 7-8K again. If I'm frustrated with city traffic, sometimes I'll wind it out just for stress release. lol

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are getting better gas mileage when staying in higher RPMs it means you have a heavy wrist and had previously been trying to twist it from too low of rpms which lugs the engine and makes it run rich...wasting fuel.

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually try to be at least above 5k, since that is where the bike starts to charge the electrical system.

Cruising without the need for insane power, lower RPMs are of course going to give you better mileage. I keep it 4-6k pretty routinely. When you want to get going, just downshift a bit to prevent the bike from chugging gas in the low RPMs, especially if you really want to get on it ;)

twisties + no other people = higher RPMs for more instant power

all else = lower RPMs for reduced wear and better mileage, shift for more power

:thumbup:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are getting better gas mileage when staying in higher RPMs it means you have a heavy wrist and had previously been trying to twist it from too low of rpms which lugs the engine and makes it run rich...wasting fuel.

+1 I used to do that. There's no denying that this engine is a piss-winder. If you want to go, you gotta wind that bugger up! :thumbup: I'm so used to the higher RPM's now, that anything below 6K annoys the heck out of me. lol

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site

petaminox

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol sorry to revive a dead thread but I've something to add.

I usually ride at below 6k RPMs, and get approx 17km/L. However, my mechanic once told me that it is good to ride at higher RPMs occasionally, if only to clear the engine up (i can't really remember what he said exactly).

Perhaps it is due to the placebo effect, but whenever I gun the engine for a short ride at 8k RPMs and above after a prolonged period of easy riding, the exhaust will sound louder. Not sure why too.

Prince Valium

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 I used to do that. There's no denying that this engine is a piss-winder. If you want to go, you gotta wind that bugger up! :thumbup: I'm so used to the higher RPM's now, that anything below 6K annoys the heck out of me. lol

I second that. I ride for fun and thrill while mixing in my commute. I wind my bike up and wring it out every chance I get for no other reason than its a blast!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have only had the bike a little over a month, I typically ran around the 5k-7k rpm mark if not accelerating. I've been trying to run higher lately - much better response quicker and on tap when acceleration is needed, but I don't like the high lawn-mower sound/feel to the high rpms when keeping a steady speed at the higher rpms. I also had this feeling that it would be better on the engine and give better gas mileage staying in a lower rpm range/higher gear. I filled up today and still got ~55 mpg though - so:

1. Is it bad to cruise around in the 8k-9k rpm range? What's the highest rpm you can stay steady at without hurting the engine, both around the city and on the highway? Would you cruise at 70-80mph in 5th gear for an extended period, for example?

2. Does it give worse gas mileage to be in a lower gear/higher rpm range, or better since it doesn't have to work so hard to accelerate when needed?

It's amazing the get up and go you suddenly have once you pass the 6k-8k or so rpm mark - you can suddenly have instant acceleration and get going.

newb here - thx!
Changing the front sprocket to 17 tooth will take away some of that buzzing or dropping one or two teeth on the rear will also do it. The engine buzz is part of the deal, it likes to be reved. I run my bike daily at >11,000 rpm for about 7-8 km on my morning commute and I have ridden it 100 km at >11,000 rpm coming back from Dublin in the very early hours. Not bragging just trying to make a point about this wonderfully bullet proof engine.
No issues yet, good quality oil and regular changes will help. There have been very few engine failures.

Nelly