High beam usage

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got off the phone with PIAA tech. He confirmed what I believed and pointed it out in their glossary:

"XTRA

A PIAA term used to designate high efficiency bulbs that are designed to produce greater light output than its rated power consumption. (Example 55watts = 85watts of light output"

He further stated that the bulbs will draw the same amount of wattage but put out more light (measured in watts, ie 55 = 85 watts) . He further stated alot of bikes, should you put in a 100 watt bulb in a housing designed for a smaller wattage bulb, melting from extra heat is a distinct possibility..

In either case, I have to agree to disagree. These PIAA's put out more light than the stockers, I can see that. Its not going to be as bright as a halogen modified set up however I DO NOT want to hack up the headlight assembly, heat light assemblies to take apart, etc. The light output of what I have is plenty for my needs...

As for the new (110 volt) florencent light bulbs drawing say 27 watts and putting out approx 100 watts of light, I have several of them thru out the house and they indeed put out the same amount of light of an incandecent 100 watts bulb...

Yes what they are saying is correct. And I'm sure they put out more light. They just don't express it in lumens and watts don't equal lumens. :D

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
yes they make em, but
im not sure of the exact output specs so i wont hazard a guess,but site says they are 472 for h4's and 499 for h7's
a friend of mine has em, and im going that way too, when i need replacements
the shop below sells em or even ebay
LED 472 H4 Bulbs (Pure White)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
yes they make em, but
im not sure of the exact output specs so i wont hazard a guess,but site says they are 472 for h4's and 499 for h7's

472 and 499 are Lumens of light output. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit)Just FYI a standard 55W halogen bulb puts out 900-1200 lumens and HID bulbs crank out 2800 - 4000 lumens! LED is not even close to the light output of HID. There are a few LED systems utilizing projectors (Infinity as example) that are successful but still so much more expensive than HID so that is why most car manufacturers are still using HID projector lamps.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
472 and 499 are Lumens of light output. Lumen (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJust FYI a standard 55W halogen bulb puts out 900-1200 lumens and HID bulbs crank out 2800 - 4000 lumens! LED is not even close to the light output of HID. There are a few LED systems utilizing projectors (Infinity as example) that are successful but still so much more expensive than HID so that is why most car manufacturers are still using HID projector lamps.
maybe so
but leds will last for an age
and are sufficient for my needs
i dont wanna blind other motorists
im not sure which set my mate has
but they are super bright
plus wikipedia is known for wrong information,
i put a post up there once its still there with bad information,
entered by me to see if it would be changed
but alas it was never changed
wikipedia are opinions of any jack the lad, who likes to post
but there is a lot of useful stuff there too
but not a valid reference point
for me im afraid no

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe so
but leds will last for an age
and are sufficient for my needs
i dont wanna blind other motorists
im not sure which set my mate has
but they are super bright
plus wikipedia is known for wrong information,
i put a post up there once its still there with bad information,
entered by me to see if it would be changed
but alas it was never changed
wikipedia are opinions of any jack the lad, who likes to post
but there is a lot of useful stuff there too
but not a valid reference point
for me im afraid no

That information was not from wiki...I know those numbers because I've spent the last 10 years working with custom HID projector retrofits for cars and bikes. HID is still where it's at. It's shock resistant and HID systems typically last for about 10 years of use on a daily driven vehicle with a lot of night use. Can't really call that poor longevity.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yes they make em, but

Please don't use these as headlights....:rolleyes:
42887d1339501947t-high-beam-usage-led.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do they make plug in LED's for the H4 and H7 set up? Whats the output?

Scott,

There are some LED unit's I saw at an off road shop here in SD that could be used as a headlamp but they're like $200 plus projector types.

The ones ste listed can't be used for headlights. Your PIAAs are good!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,

There are some LED unit's I saw at an off road shop here in SD that could be used as a headlamp but they're like $200 plus projector types.

The ones ste listed can't be used for headlights. Your PIAAs are good!

Rigid industries by chance? http://www.rigidindustries.com/mobile/default.aspx#Home

They make some killer led lights but are very proud of their products and charge as such. But they put out some crazy bright light!! I guy I ride with has some on his GS