Hid??

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone done a HID light conversion on the FZ6? I want to get one and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did it for the low beam and love it, i will take pictures next time i get out to my bike to bring it home for the summer.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am getting the RED led lights put on and changing the headlights to zion, they said i need a H4 and H7, hope that helps.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, my reply sounded kind of rude, it wasn't meant that way!:) It just seems that most HID kits are sold with matching lights, and I plan on converting to a single style bulb.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, my reply sounded kind of rude, it wasn't meant that way!:) It just seems that most HID kits are sold with matching lights, and I plan on converting to a single style bulb.

Someone on here had a very good thought. buy the dual headlight kit and then buy a replacement HID bulb of the other size and just plug that one in instead to the other side.

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone on here had a very good thought. buy the dual headlight kit and then buy a replacement HID bulb of the other size and just plug that one in instead to the other side.

Be aware that it's not straight-forward with the H4 on the high beam side. There are at least 3 types of H4 kits:
  • H4Lo - the Xenon bulb does just the low beam and there is a halogen filament for the high beam.
  • H4Hi - the Xenon bulb does just the high beam and there is a halogen filament for the low beam.
  • H4-3 - there is a single xenon filament and there is also a solenoid triggered by the high beam switch to move the filament between the hi and low positions. There is an added complexity with an extra relay that comes with this version.

The 1st option wouldn't work, the 2nd option is probably ok. However, I think that a combination of the BK Headlight mod in conjunction with the H4-3 kit and getting 2 types of Xenon bulbs (H4 + H7) would probably be the way to go.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be aware that it's not straight-forward with the H4 on the high beam side. There are at least 3 types of H4 kits:
  • H4Lo - the Xenon bulb does just the low beam and there is a halogen filament for the high beam.
  • H4Hi - the Xenon bulb does just the high beam and there is a halogen filament for the low beam.
  • H4-3 - there is a single xenon filament and there is also a solenoid triggered by the high beam switch to move the filament between the hi and low positions. There is an added complexity with an extra relay that comes with this version.

The 1st option wouldn't work, the 2nd option is probably ok. However, I think that a combination of the BK Headlight mod in conjunction with the H4-3 kit and getting 2 types of Xenon bulbs (H4 + H7) would probably be the way to go.

The added relay is not more difficult, just another step in the wiring. ( I had the hi/low kit on the last bike and it worked great. not too many places to hide the extra wires on the FZ though...

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered this kit for my Honda last night. I'll see what it's all about and decide if I want to do it to the FZ.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
This thing was a piece of cake to set up. This unit is setup to control 2 balasts, or two headlights, so I am going to order the same unit and an extra H4-3 light. This will give me true dual low and high beams. The differance is between stock is night and day.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got off the phone, and my new HID system for the FZ is on its way. This system is not street legal so it is really nice that you can simply replace the bulbs with stock and plug them in without any headache. Passing instection should be a breeze!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good, i would say that inspection won't be a problem, i have never had a problem getting the bike inspected.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I can begin to explain how bright this thing is. I took it out tonight, and it ilumina'tted the next county! I have to do some ajusting to get it pointed in the right direction, but I know it is going to be a wonderful thing.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, can someone explain what, exactly, HID is to a novice?

ahhh... ok

HID (High Intensity Discharge): are light bulbs that do not work in a conventional fashion, there are no filaments and instead work by electrifying Xenon Gas inside the bulb. The output of light is much brighter and more directed and it also uses less power to produce the light. you often see it on high end cars like BMW, Saab, Volvo... My Avatar shows the differece between the stock Halogen (High beam filament based bulb) and my HID (Low Beam HID). HID bulbs also often need a ballast installed to create the electric charge to ignite the gas in the proper way.

HID Bulb (from my conversion kit):
Robs%20Random
surf.php

Standard bulb:
120421_faa9025e.jpg

Last edited: