HID Kit Installed - Highly Recommend

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So yesterday I took some time to install the HID kit I had ordered from VVME and was very pleased with the results. Great kit, lightening fast delivery, and a fairly easy installation. The light output is amazing and the light temp produced by the 6000K bulb I chose is very pleasing to the eye. Below is a pic of the H4-3 55 watt 6000K bulb that comes with the kit. Very nice that it already has an antiglare cap.

For $70 shipped I got 2 55 watt slim fit ballasts, 2 55 watt H4-3 6000K bulbs, and a relay. Although I only need one bulb for my VS-2 headlight, a one bulb/ballast kit would have cost me $60 so spending $10 more and getting an additional bulb and ballast was a no brainer.

I was able to hide the relay below the gas tank on top of the battery, run all the wires through the frame, and then coil up the additional unused harness and hide it further under the gas tank behind the airbox. The slim fit ballast is quite small and easily fit under my speedo mount along with the high/low beam switch box.

I recommend this kit to anyone and would say to def go with the slim fit ballasts, and def get the 55 watt kit. I was able to install the entire thing in around an hour and the additional light output I now have is well worth the money and time. Here is a link to the website if anyone is interested:

http://www.vvme.com/

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They also do a kit for the dual headlight, non naked version, for $AU70, which includes one H4 biXenon and one H7.

I see you've obviously got the naked version, so doesn't apply - but just thought I'd mention it.

I agree with the 6000k temperature bulbs too - much better light!

Cheers,
Rick

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
ebster1085 - how much was the fairing covering your exhaust? I like it a lot! :rockon:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
ebster1085 - how much was the fairing covering your exhaust? I like it a lot! :rockon:

Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words. I am using a PowerBronze belly pan that I got off eBay for $138 shipped. They only offer it with silver or gold mesh covered vents. I got it in silver and then painted the screens black.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wanting to go with some HID and thought the Projector type would be the only ones I would want but as I've learned some of the units they're coming out with would probably work great for my SV1000s and the price looks very inviting!
I have a question. Is the bulb a single HID bulb with a solenoid that changes the lamp's position for the hi beam?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I just answered my own question...:rolleyes:
bi-dual-xenon_en.gif

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, that is correct Cliff. There is only one bulb and the dual functionality is achieved by moving the bulb via solenoid. Pretty awesome because you wont have to wait for the second gas cartridge to heat up like a dual bulb.

I haven't even used the high beam yet other than to test that it works, which it does, because the low beam is super bright. I was able to angle my headlight down far enough that the light pattern on the road is pretty near perfect and I am not blinding anyone ahead of me.

Was riding behind my buddy the other day in his BMW and he said that the light looked awesome and was not at all a distraction for him.

Last edited:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I think I just answered my own question...:rolleyes:
bi-dual-xenon_en.gif

That is slick. I didn't realize that they had these setups for non-projector assemblies. Pretty cool!

With the glare caps, it might actually be permissible to run these without projectors.

Let us know if you run these in your SV1000.

I can't imagine the need for the 55W stuff though. My normal 35W HIDs have amazing output and I like the lower power requirements.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, it is a pretty awesome setup and is really exactly what I am looking for. I went with the 55 watt kit because the price difference was minimal and I figured if I am going to upgrade, why not go all out and get the most powerful bulb/ballast available.

ricefazer

Reaction score
Visit site
So if I want to do this for the dual headlight setup, is that possible without projectors? Also, do you have to buy the H7 and H4 bulbs separately? Or do you need to change the headlight mount so that both sides fit H4 sized bulbs? Will the stock high/low beam switch not work with HID lights? Thanks

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So if I want to do this for the dual headlight setup, is that possible without projectors? Also, do you have to buy the H7 and H4 bulbs separately? Or do you need to change the headlight mount so that both sides fit H4 sized bulbs? Will the stock high/low beam switch not work with HID lights? Thanks

I am pretty sure a dual headlight setup is totally doable. I bet if you call them and explain that you want a kit with one H7 bulb and one H4-3 bulb they will be able to accommodate you.

As far as wiring goes, this also shouldn't be an issue as long as you use either the BD43 wiring mod or Motogiro's relay kit. You need to have your OEM H4 harness setup in such a way that both the high and low beam filaments work independently. Once this is done, you can just plug in the HID kit via the H4 harness and it should work flawlessly.

Since I went naked and just have the one H4 headlight socket, it was a little easier for me. I just simply coiled up and hid one of the bulb/ballast harnesses from the HID kit and only wired in one. With the H4-3 dual function bulb they include with the kit, high and low beam switching is simple achieved by moving the bulb itself via an internal solenoid. Pictures of this action are posted above in this thread.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you haven any questions.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Yea, it is a pretty awesome setup and is really exactly what I am looking for. I went with the 55 watt kit because the price difference was minimal and I figured if I am going to upgrade, why not go all out and get the most powerful bulb/ballast available.

Well, that does make sense, especially if you are only running a single bulb due to your naked conversion.

Personally, I'm scared of exceeding our lame alternator output, so with two headlights, I'm okay with the lower wattage ballasts. :D

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site

Like ebster said, you'll need an H4 and an H7 with two ballasts. Other than that it's plug and play, no projectors needed. I would highly encourage getting one with the anti-glare cap, because I didn't and now I'm going to have to replace one of the bulbs... :/ I'm leaving my high beam one without it because it doesn't really matter, I only use that when no one is around.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Like ebster said, you'll need an H4 and an H7 with two ballasts. Other than that it's plug and play, no projectors needed. I would highly encourage getting one with the anti-glare cap, because I didn't and now I'm going to have to replace one of the bulbs... :/ I'm leaving my high beam one without it because it doesn't really matter, I only use that when no one is around.

Couldnt agree more. One of my favorite features of VVME's H4-3 dual function bulb is that it comes with an antiglare cap. Puts out great light but is not obnoxious to cars ahead or oncoming.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
This is the HID bulb without the projector, right? So you just slid it in through the back?

Last edited:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Im with Rabbi.....how did you install it? The ones I have seen must have a projector like everyone is mentioning?

I didnt know about the anti-glare caps until this thread.....good to know thanks fellas

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
The kit that I purchased has H4-3 HID dual function bulbs. They have antiglare caps, and they switch between high and low beam settings by physically moving the bulb forward and back using an internal solenoid. The bulb has a normal H4 base, so it installs into the headlight housing just like any normal H4 bulb would. There is no need for a projector or anything else.

The kit was very easy to install and I did it for the first time in about an hour. I was also able to hide all the components and run the wiring through the frame to make for a very clean install.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mind posting a direct link to the product? I'm having trouble finding the Hi/Lo single unit.

Here you go:
Bi-Xenon H4-3 - www.vvme.com
If you are really searching for a 1 bulb kit (so 1 bulb + 1 relay harness + 1 starter), it will be a bit harder to find, and it will cost nearly as much....µµ

If you want really great quality, take a look at the H4 Bi-Xenon kit from TheRetroFitSource.com.
It sure does cost a fair bit more though.... (also a kit for 2 hid bulbs/ballasts, but ordering for 1 bulb in seperate parts costs definately more :eek:)

But if you want the BEST light output, you should go with a projector setup. It will only take some extra effort, as you will need to open up the headlight lens, mount the projector and seal it again. The rest will be the same as if you were installing a normal HID setup.
Take a look at the Sportbike Stage III xenon projector kit and see if you like it ;)
If you want some more info on doing this retrofit (and to make sure you will be comfortable with the steps involved), take a look at my retrofit guide: [thread=42492]FZ-6N Morimoto Mini D2S retrofit[/thread]
If you need some more info, just let me know ;)

Grtz,

Degake

Grtz,

Degake

Last edited: