HID Bulb Mod

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
You can always extend the wires, that is my plan...

Before you go through the effort to extend the wires, test fit everything first to make sure your ballasts fit the way you'd like them to. I made this mistake and ended up having to re-shorten the wires to get it all to fit in the fairing instead.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before you go through the effort to extend the wires, test fit everything first to make sure your ballasts fit the way you'd like them to. I made this mistake and ended up having to re-shorten the wires to get it all to fit in the fairing instead.

I will be sure to do that, thank you

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Just coming back to this now.

I just did a quick fit tonight to see the strength of the bulbs...DEAR GOD!!! I couldn't walk in front of the bike (it was on centre stand) because i was getting blinded!!!!

These are animals!!

I have to do this mod during daylight hours so I know what i'm doing. I dont know if these ballasts will fit comfortably in the "nose" section of the fairing..i put one in there quickly and it doesn't fit in fully. The ballasts are big but they will fit properly on the sides of the inner fairing where the wires run to the battery/ECU etc.... The best thing about this HID kit is that they do NOT run to the battery for power. You just use the cables that power the bulbs to supply the electrical supply so I dont have to worry about relays and running cables to the battery..so everything is kept quite localised! :D

Now all i have to worry about is fitting these to the sides of the fairing so that they remain there.

Someone mentioned about using double sided industrial tape...where can I buy some? and does anyone have any tips on making the surface inside the fairing flat to stick the ballasts to? (as you know the fairing is slightly curved)

Any tips as to how i'll go about cable tying it to the bike too?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't try to get the ballast into the nose of the bike, it won't fit, i just took the entire front end of my bike apart trying to relocate mine to there, you have the same ballasts that i have and it is a definite no go. I am going under the tank with mine, just have to extend a couple wires and i am good to go, I checked the fit of that tonight too

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it interesting that your kit does not require any wires to go to the battery. Most use power directly through the battery with a relay system wired up to the headlight harness, thus keeping the electrical draw on the stock headlight harness low and preventing it from melting.

BTW, I told you they'd be bright as hell! Haha...

As for the mounting with industrial double sided tape. You can find it at the local hardware store of your choice. I used it to create the flat surface that you are inquiring about, making multiple layers in the necessary areas to flatten out the inner side of the fairing. THEN, I used the heavy duty velcro to attach the balllast, that way I could pull it off if needed to take apart the front end for whatever reason necessary.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't try to get the ballast into the nose of the bike, it won't fit, i just took the entire front end of my bike apart trying to relocate mine to there, you have the same ballasts that i have and it is a definite no go. I am going under the tank with mine, just have to extend a couple wires and i am good to go, I checked the fit of that tonight too

I'd love to go under the tank with them but I dont fancy buying more things for the mod at the moment. Cutting or doing a DIY extension of those cables can be disasterous...you'll have to buy longer ones. (i'm sure ya know that!!)

O and the H4 works so so well...its fast and BRIGHT!!

People spoke about the splitting of the light because its being put into halogen reflectors...i must have gotten the miracle bulbs because they have the exact same light pattern as the halogens.

I'll be fitting it this weekend so wait for the photo's! :)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to go under the tank with them but I dont fancy buying more things for the mod at the moment. Cutting or doing a DIY extension of those cables can be disasterous...you'll have to buy longer ones. (i'm sure ya know that!!)

O and the H4 works so so well...its fast and BRIGHT!!

People spoke about the splitting of the light because its being put into halogen reflectors...i must have gotten the miracle bulbs because they have the exact same light pattern as the halogens.

I'll be fitting it this weekend so wait for the photo's! :)

I am extending the wires, not buying longer one, just be sure to solder and tape the wires and use same gauge wire and you should be all set.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I am extending the wires, not buying longer one, just be sure to solder and tape the wires and use same gauge wire and you should be all set.

I highly recommend using shrink tubing since this will be exposed to moisture from the weather and washing the bike, then follow that with electrical tape if you like. This will ensure you avoid a short later on.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend using shrink tubing since this will be exposed to moisture from the weather and washing the bike, then follow that with electrical tape if you like. This will ensure you avoid a short later on.

Absolutely vital to use shrink wrap alright! give its a clean finish too!

RSW, how much of the double sided industrial tape did you require on each side? I'll only get the chance to buy it on Saturday and want to know how much and what quality i'll need to keep these ballasts on! :)

The ballasts have internal igniters installed (the H4 comes with an additional box that aids in the high low change. The power comes from the light wires and not the battery as I said earlier...apparently this is enough to power the ballasts. The guys I bought from are one of the leading companies in the whole of the UK and they make their own units...very high quality! I'm just glad i dont have to fit igniters in an extra place too!!

so what double sided tape did you use or does it really matter?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely vital to use shrink wrap alright! give its a clean finish too!

RSW, how much of the double sided industrial tape did you require on each side? I'll only get the chance to buy it on Saturday and want to know how much and what quality i'll need to keep these ballasts on! :)

The ballasts have internal igniters installed (the H4 comes with an additional box that aids in the high low change. The power comes from the light wires and not the battery as I said earlier...apparently this is enough to power the ballasts. The guys I bought from are one of the leading companies in the whole of the UK and they make their own units...very high quality! I'm just glad i dont have to fit igniters in an extra place too!!

so what double sided tape did you use or does it really matter?

When you go to the hardware store, just look at your options and get the strongest stuff they have. There should be a tensile strength rating on each package, or just ask someone who works there for help. You'll likely need 2-3 layers on each side, each being about 3 inches long. I suggest just buying a few feet of it to be sure you have enough.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
When you go to the hardware store, just look at your options and get the strongest stuff they have. There should be a tensile strength rating on each package, or just ask someone who works there for help. You'll likely need 2-3 layers on each side, each being about 3 inches long. I suggest just buying a few feet of it to be sure you have enough.

thanks a million!! :) A simple piece of advice but extremely vital for my simple mind!! :D:rockon:

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed HID (H7) into the low beam side last night. Woooaaahhh, it's bright. I'll shoot some photos later.

Yes, slim ballast is the way to go. Even then, I was thinking of putting it under the seat and run long wires. But somehow I manage to put it into the nose.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wait for pics on here. Really wanna do HID conversion... How'd you get the deal again? Thought I read you got a discount of some sort... really anticipating...

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wait for pics on here. Really wanna do HID conversion... How'd you get the deal again? Thought I read you got a discount of some sort... really anticipating...

There was a group buy that is ongoing with XenonDepot if you are interested. PM me later when I am home from work, I can get you the info from there. I put this together about 18 months ago and my contact (Steve) has kept it open for us.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures of my HID ballast installation. Slim fits underneath gauges, right in the middle slot of nose tied down by ziptie. There is a small igniter besides the ballast. I zip that also on the bottom. You can see two white Zip Ties securing the pieces. Then the rest of the wires can be tied into the fairing.

awdkbc.jpg

34hxj7n.jpg

2e57611.jpg

10y0tx4.jpg

10igyua.jpg

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
There's room for H4, high side. For that, I have the low beam only... yet to install. It is so darn bright I may not need high beam. Anyhow, I'm thinking wiring the high to run right side as low. Essentially I'll be riding with high switch on but it will be dual low. Switch to low, then the right side will be off.

Not sure if I like that configuration but it's cheaper and easy to install. I'll just have to try and see if that will be a problem.