Hey guys, looking to buy my first FZ6. Which years should I consider?

ahheck09

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first FZ6 here within the next month as my upgrade from my er-6n. Fell in love with this bike after borrowing my neighbors for a few days. Now his was a 2007 after the major changes came into place. I've looked at wikipedia to determine the major changes between years and it seems like pre 07 you lose a lot. And even more so with pre 06.

My dilemma begins with a relatively tight budget now. I'm looking to spend under 4k preferably closer to 3k. 04s and 05s seem to be abundant in this field with a few 06s standing out as well. 07s+ seem to be few and far between in this range and much moreso in the upper end of my range. Theyre definitely out there and I can wait another paycheck to get up to the higher end of my spectrum but I'm wondering if its worth it? Are the changes in the 06 that much greater than the 04-05 to justify the extra cost given similar conditions/mileage? And for that matter is the 07 that much better or are they all pretty minor differences?

Thank you all for your help!
-Matt

Reaction score
Visit site
My '09 is well balanced, peppy, and is the fastest blue that yammy ever made.
But it comes with some serious buzz after 5500 rpm. More buzz than any bike
i've ridden. Still fun to ride tho.

~Dave

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Now his was a 2007 after the major changes came into place. I've looked at wikipedia to determine the major changes between years and it seems like pre 07 you lose a lot. And even more so with pre 06.

:welcome:
I wouldn't characterize the 2007 changes as major. And the 2006 changes consisted of painting parts black. While the 2007+ models do have some better components, I think you'll notice the difference in your bank account more than the difference between model years. Go for the best deal.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
pick one that looks the best, and has been taken care of most, mileage might also be a consideration

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the 06 model. The first non-carb models were supposed to be a bit snatchy on the throttle up to 06. The 07 and upward were refuelled to give smoother power delivery. I've never noticed a problem on mine though and have never ridden a newer model to compare. School's out on which is the better model, some swear by the older, carbed' models, and others prefer the modern fuel injection.

Here's a good review

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
07+ better braking, like mentioned improved fuel mapping for better
low-mid response and the on-off throttle sensation lessened, redesigned
fairing/screen to reduce turbulence, improved gauge cluster-digital tach
as opposed to the hard to see analog type on the prior years...none of
it a big deal, but when I was searching I chose to pay a bit more for the 07+

edit...sorry, the tach is not digital, but a proper analog gauge as opposed
to the strange thing on the earlier models

Last edited:

mrutledge

'Georgia rider'
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first FZ6 here within the next month as my upgrade from my er-6n. Fell in love with this bike after borrowing my neighbors for a few days. Now his was a 2007 after the major changes came into place. I've looked at wikipedia to determine the major changes between years and it seems like pre 07 you lose a lot. And even more so with pre 06.

My dilemma begins with a relatively tight budget now. I'm looking to spend under 4k preferably closer to 3k. 04s and 05s seem to be abundant in this field with a few 06s standing out as well. 07s+ seem to be few and far between in this range and much moreso in the upper end of my range. Theyre definitely out there and I can wait another paycheck to get up to the higher end of my spectrum but I'm wondering if its worth it? Are the changes in the 06 that much greater than the 04-05 to justify the extra cost given similar conditions/mileage? And for that matter is the 07 that much better or are they all pretty minor differences?

Thank you all for your help!
-Matt
My first bike was an 05 ninja 500, then a 06 gixxer 600, then a 05 kawi 636 then an 04 r6 and I just purchased a 06 fz6 yesterday. I have to say that I LOVE the bike. It's decently peppy and very comfortable compared to what I'm usually riding. I drove the bike for 3 and a half hours strait after I picked it up because I had to drive it from north georgia to south georgia. I'm saying all of this because I'm very happy with my decision in the 06 model, and I only paid $2900 for it...much cheaper than my other sport bikes. If you can get a sweet deal, I recommend the 06. And o yea, it is a little twitchy on the throttle but it's not bad at all. Good luck on the purchase, let us know what you decide to get!

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
~Dave

Er, no, the FZ6 is nowhere near the fastest bike Yamaha ever made. (Maybe if pushed out of an airplane). It is a good bike, though. I'd stretch my budget if at all possible and get an '08 or '09 with low miles. The last two years were well sorted out. Do a search on Cycle Trader.....there are lots of them.

Reaction score
Visit site
Er, no, the FZ6 is nowhere near the fastest bike Yamaha ever made. (Maybe if pushed out of an airplane). It is a good bike, though. I'd stretch my budget if at all possible and get an '08 or '09 with low miles. The last two years were well sorted out. Do a search on Cycle Trader.....there are lots of them.

The joke began with a "b", but it sure wasn't "bike" :BLAA:

But it comes with some serious buzz after 5500 rpm. More buzz than any bike
i've ridden. Still fun to ride tho.

~Dave

ahheck09

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome feedback guys keep em coming! I do like the updated gauge set up with the analog tach, but from what I'm hearing 07+ is a bit smoother on the throttle and has a lot of "comfort"/looks changes with minor performance difference (brakes).

Has anyone noticed any huge difference in the braking between the 04-06 vs 07+? How do the changes like the modified windscreen/fairing, updated seat change the comfort of the ride? If I can find an 07+ for a good deal obviously I'll snag that, but I'm moreso debating whether the differences should justify me waiting a little longer and spending a little more to get the 07+ if there is going to be a decent difference in price.

Again thanks guys! I was shocked to get on this morning and find so many useful replies already, definitely glad I joined these forums!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
the 2007 and up model had a few upgrades with the most notable being the instrument cluster.

It may be difficult to find the 2007 and up models for 4k certainly not going to be easy to get one under 4k. It depends alot on mileage as well.

I have the 2006 and got it for closer to 3k with low miles. Aside from liking the instrument cluster on the 2007+ models, I have no regrets!! it has been an awesome bike. done 11k miles on it.

Be careful on 2004 and 2005 models, there was a TPS recall years ago. You will want to check and make sure this work was done or at least will still be covered.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
'got a 2009 (Deep Blue) with 2300 miles, all stock...but, I'm here in California, Bay Area. If I was going to sell it today, I would want between $5700-$6000 in cash.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
'got a 2009 (Deep Blue) with 2300 miles, all stock...but, I'm here in California, Bay Area. If I was going to sell it today, I would want between $5700-$6000 in cash.

I see brand new ones on CycleTrader for $6k (plus fees). That said, two weeks ago I traded my perfect conditilon 2009 FZ6 w/3150 miles on it for a new FZ1 and the dealer gave me $4,770 in trade for it and I now see it is listed on his site for $6k. So I guess he will be selling it for about $5,300 after negotiations. So you might be a little high, but all prices are local. Bikes like the FZ6 are wanted by dealers because they fill a niche in their inventory, not too radical and suited for the average Joe for weekend riding.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site

I've got a 2008 (Raven) with 17,XXX miles and counting, almost stock except for a Puig screen... but I'm in Pennsylvania, Amish Country.
If I was going to sell it today, I would want ONE MILLION DOLLARS! (I'll ride it to you for free if you give me a ride to the airport)
dr-evil.jpg