Advice for first time buyer

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
Ever since I first laid eyes on a FZ6 about 5 years ago, I knew that was the perfect bike for me. First off, they look killer. Plus they have plenty of power, (a liter bike would definitely be overkill for me, at least for now), and their seating position if perfect for my 6’4” 235lb frame. Compared to all the other bikes I’ve sat on, the FZ6 is definitely one of the most comfortable and one I can see myself riding for many hours at a time.

Anyway, within the next couple of months I’ll be in the market for one of these sweet bikes. My ideal FZ would be a 2007, preferably with the Electric Blue paint. I have a few questions I hope some of you guys could help me with since I’m a newbie when it comes to buying used bikes.

1. When dealing with used bikes, what should I be looking for as far as cosmetic and mechanical defects? And do dealers or shops offer inspections that could help me spot any major problems? If so, is it worth it and how much do they usually charge?

2. Are there any mods that I should stay away from? (frame sliders, dual headlight conversion, and exhaust are pluses in my book).

3. I checked NADA and the price range for an ’07 is between $3100 and $4100, but I’ve seen some people asking $4500+. What price is beyond reasonable given the mileage, and how many miles is too many?

Sorry for the lengthy post and I appreciate all comments.

Last edited:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. I'm not sure on charges, cosmetics is pretty straight forward. Most used bikes will have some or minor scratches. Mine had a few here and there. The big question is, has it been dropped and millage. Some bikes are ridden harder than others, some are not. Most people keep up with oil changes and what not on bike whether they are stunters, cruisers, etc. I think you will be safe either way.

2. The mods depend on you. Frame sliders are good to have regardless, they don't hurt the bike, they protect it :D. Exhaust is a plus if you like noise, but really doesn't do that much, but they are expensive, even used they are expensive. The headlight mod is a biggie though, if you want the naked look or the tour look. What are you going to do with this bike? Street cruise local town to local town or ride like some of these other guys on the forum from one side of the world to he other. Hell, im sure if you gave some of these members floaties for there bike, they would try it.:rof:

3. I learned a lot about pricing when I bought my bike. I felt I payed too much for it, but regardless, im still happy that I have it. Craigslist, generally they are cheaper, no warranty available. Usually if you buy from your local Yamaha/Surdyke dealership, I wouldn't expect to many issues. Be confident. all else fails, post the info on here. Most Fz6s on low millage vary from $3500-$5000tops

I hope this helps a little, if not someone else will answer better than me.

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Geoff for the reply. I really don’t know what kind of “look” I’ll be going for with the bike. I guess I’ll need some time with it before I decide. I just think that the stock headlight setup (the same way it was for my Zuma) makes it look like you always have a burned out headlight. A dual headlight kit, maybe angel eyes too, would look a lot nicer to me. I would probably do about 80% local riding with friends, but some out of state trips into the mountains or down to the beach would be a lot of fun too.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice from Geoff.
IME patience pays when looking for a used FZ6. It took me about 4 months to find one on Craigslist that had low enough mileage, was local and hadn't been abused. I too wanted an '07 or later and ended up with an '08 with 7000 miles for $3700. When I went to look at the bike I was surprised to see it had a Corbin seat, braided lines (which would have been one of my first mods) and a F/E kit.
Frame sliders are the first thing I added alond with BD43's dual headlight mod.
Good hunting, and don't forget to post pics when you bag your prey. :BLAA:

Emochocolates

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I bought a 2005 Silver FZ6 with only 3100 miles on it last week. I talked the guy down to 3100. All it needed was some fresh rubber and it was good to go!!! You can find a good deal if you shop around, I've seen plenty of 07's and 08's for under 4k$ with low miles.

mjmelancon

Reaction score
Visit site
There’s actually someone in Auburn, Al, who’s got the exact bike I want. Blue ’07, looks bone stock, about 2000 miles, and he wants $4500. If I had a little more cash I’d go get it tomorrow. But what do yall think?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I talked the dealer down on my '08 Black with 4200 miles. All the way down to $3260 before TTL.

If you buy from a dealer, remember that the fees are negotiable too. The only one they probably won't budge on is the service fee. Their service department does (supposedly) completely overhaul and checkout the used bikes. That's a benefit of a dealership though.

The extended warranty may or may not be a good deal. Usually it isn't though. The one they offered me only covered non-routine maintenance, and had a very open ended clause so they could weasel out of anything they felt was "owner imposed" or "normal" wear and tear. It left me wondering what they actually covered on the warranty...

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
There’s actually someone in Auburn, Al, who’s got the exact bike I want. Blue ’07, looks bone stock, about 2000 miles, and he wants $4500. If I had a little more cash I’d go get it tomorrow. But what do yall think?
Ask this guy how hard he road it? I bought my 06 on craigslist and it had 4700+ miles on it, and it was bone stock for $4500. I think I paid to much for mine. It had a nail in the back tire, and the tires were almost bald. The seller bought it with 1500 miles at an action, and put the miles on it in less than a month. If I waited a day I could have gotten an 07, with a corban seat and hard saddle bags for the same price. Good luck!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
all good advise here.. dont have anything to add besides good luck in your search and

welcome to the forum :welcome:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
They are not common bikes but I see them from time to time. Smith Brothers in Oneonita (spelling?!) had an 07 last fall for under $4,000 if my memory is correct. They are good folks up there and won't rip you off. Seems like $4,500 is a little high but depends on what condition it's in and how it's been cared for. I'd rather have a bike that was ridden hard but very well taken care of rather than a cream puff that was not taken care of. In the last 2 years I have put 16,000 miles on mine and have changed the oil, coolant, head bearings, tires, bars (FZ1), lubes the rear swing arm, lubed chain, etc. My bike is an 04. I see you are in Birmingham, if you would like I could go with you to look at a bike and give you my opinion if interested PM me.

I have bought my tires from the folks at Cycle Gear - I took the wheels in and they mounted and balanced the tire. Michelin PR2's!

Last edited: