Help

Claytonfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I have a fz6r fz2

She has been in the shed for nine ish months (baby and unable to ride) I have just been to start her up and on the button 1st time

The problem is the rev counter and the digi display are not working all warning lights and indicator lights working fine ?

Can any one help with what this could be?

Thank you

I'm not 100% sure, and I'm too lazy to go check my service manual, but... I think the warning/indicator lights are powered via the circuits they're on. IE the high beam indicator is directly linked to the high beam circuit, turn signal indicators are linked to the turn signal circuits, etc.

I was going to say check the fuses, but at least on the S1s it looks like there's a fuse for the backup memory to the instruments, I'm not seeing one specifically *for* them. Near as I can tell, main power is provided by the ignition fuse, so it's not going to run too well if that were blown.

That pretty much seems to narrow it down to checking the plug on the back, and probably having to replace it. :(

Thank you I've checked all the fuses and none of the fuses blown in the box under the tank and under the right hand rear fender/wing.

I've now gone over the bike on all the connecting plugs and at the back of the instrument panel.

Still nothing

I'm stuck and looking for a new instrument panel

Thank you any more tip before I get one would be brill

I'm going off an '04 wiring diagram here, I don't have a manual for an S2.

If you've got a multimeter, there's a few things you can check, but I suspect they'll just confirm what you already fear. White with a red trace looks to be the only real ground for it. Check resistance to a good ground, the battery if possible. Red with white trace should be power from the ignition fuse, should be +12V with the key on. Everything else except the memory backup looks like it's signals for the lights and gauges.

:welcome:to our great forum Clayton!

If I'm not mistaken, the FZ6r uses the same instrument cluster as the FZ6 S-2 version. I'm hoping the instrument cluster wire color code is the same.

There should be a wire (black with white tracer dots or a white line) that is the ground for the cluster module. If this wire were to go open you could conceivably loose your instrument reading while still powering your instrument indicator lights. Look for continuity on this wire to ground at your frame,engine or negative battery terminal. There is a fuse that is exclusive to the instrument cluster on the FZ6 S-2 series and your bike may be the same. The wire color code for this circuit to the instrument cluster is (red with green dots or a green line) This wire should show +12 VDC at all times even when the key off.

If this fuse has blown you'll want to find out why. Maybe a rodent gnawed through it and it touched ground or it's been pinched and lost insulation and gone to ground.

Please let us know what you find out.

Good luck and again welcome to our great family! :)

Back