Help with Speedo connector

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
The connector that plugs into my speedo is broken! Only the black plastic part is broken, all the wires and every other connector is fine. Is there any place to buy just the black plastic connector piece? The wires are still lined up so I could easily align them in the new one. I'd rather not buy the whole headlight cord as it is over $100! Anyone have any ideas?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
So did the Black wire in the photo pull out from the connector, or is the connector housing itself broken?

If it's the connector housing, you could plug it in, glue it in place, then cut and splice in a male / female quick disconnect just down from the original connector so you could still 'un-plug the speedo cable if you needed to.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
The black wire is a different wire that was bolted directly to a metal bracket.

Are you saying plug each wire individually into the pins? I suppose I could do that, although if I can find a male/female connector for the rest of the wire, I think I'd just be able to replace the male connector that is currently broken on mine.

I've been looking for a replacement connector housing, but only find the whole wire assembly in full.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It's a really good bet that you could unlatch the individual pins from the broken connector body, then just slide them into another connector body.... I beliive this is what you are trying to do, right?

The plug design looks pretty complex with the stand offs and such, so I would think it difficult to get an exact match. Probably best to find a wrecked FZ6, and cut the connector off of the harness to re-use on your bike. That way you have a plastic body to practice removal/insertion on.

If you have to buy the wire harness complete, I would still remove the plastic body from that, and move the body to the harness already in place on the bike.

Odds are good that Yamaha has used that specific connector body on some other product..... it's tough to say what or where. If you can get information on who the connector subcontractor is, you may be able to get the body directly from them.

Are there any numbers on the broken plug body?

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I think that is essentially what I'm trying to do, just find another plastic connector. There aren't any numbers on what's left. I checked the link that RUZ left, but didn't find anything that looked like it would work.

I'm going to start calling around and searching for a wrecked fz that I might be able to salvage parts from. As for finding out the subcontractor for the plastic connectors, I'll start emailing some shops, but if anyone had any other leads for, let me know.

Thanks guys!

EDIT

I looked harder, and on the bottom I found: 9 AMP R 16

Now I just need to figure out how to use this to find what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Yes I think that is essentially what I'm trying to do, just find another plastic connector. There aren't any numbers on what's left. I checked the link that RUZ left, but didn't find anything that looked like it would work.

I'm going to start calling around and searching for a wrecked fz that I might be able to salvage parts from. As for finding out the subcontractor for the plastic connectors, I'll start emailing some shops, but if anyone had any other leads for, let me know.

Thanks guys!

EDIT

I looked harder, and on the bottom I found: 9 AMP R 16

Now I just need to figure out how to use this to find what I'm looking for.

AMP may stand for Amphenol.... that's a company that makes all sorts of conenctors in many many different styles and configurations. I took a quick look and did not see anything like the one you seek. But that's just one of many companies that sell that sort of connector.

Count the wires..... are there nine positions that can be populated, or possibly 16?

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AMP was bought by Tyco, so maybe check with them as well

AMP may stand for Amphenol.... that's a company that makes all sorts of conenctors in many many different styles and configurations. I took a quick look and did not see anything like the one you seek. But that's just one of many companies that sell that sort of connector.

Count the wires..... are there nine positions that can be populated, or possibly 16?

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Tried contacting Tyco, and I'm currently waiting for a reply back from Amphenol. Tyco couldn't help me.

Could anyone take a picture of what their connector looks like so I can use it as a reference?