Help! What are these things on my bike?

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I was starting to clean my chain and lube it up and I saw these things. The last time I remember seeing one it was leaking coolant as I was bleeding and surrounded by police officers, firemen, and EMT's. The cops were picking up my bike when it started spilling it's green blood.
2514727143_2fed83daee_o.jpg

2514727097_b7b23e6e73_o.jpg

Overflow valves?? Part of the cooling system?? Why have I never noticed them before??

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
lol, you're actually missing one... they're connected to the overflow for the reservoirs on the coolant and the other to the fuel system. they seem to be hanging a bit lower than usual so that's different.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Lift the tank and make sure that nobody forgot to connect them on the tank. That's what I think the problem is.

lol, you're actually missing one
Mine has 3 hoses too but I remember people here somewhere telling me that the 07 only has 2 of them:confused:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW they're long!!!

They are usually nicely tucked together and certainly not as long and positioned as far apart as that. Its certainly something that freaked me out when I noticed them but it clicked immediately what they were for since I had a freak attack with my last Yamaha bike over the same concern!! :)

If you look under your tank under your airbox you'll also notice four other hoses that are just sitting there with a plug on one end (they're connected to the air intake part of your bike.

J

jsteinb95

There are 2 threads about those same hoses. It's normal and they are really long.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was starting to clean my chain and lube it up and I saw these things. The last time I remember seeing one it was leaking coolant as I was bleeding and surrounded by police officers, firemen, and EMT's. The cops were picking up my bike when it started spilling it's green blood.
2514727143_2fed83daee_o.jpg

2514727097_b7b23e6e73_o.jpg

Overflow valves?? Part of the cooling system?? Why have I never noticed them before??

Those are Yamaha udders.:D

B

bluenova

Your Yamaha udders do look really long, on another note with my bike they are both on the right-hand side, but in your pics one of them looks to be on the left (it may just be the angle of the picture). If it is indeed on the left I'd feed it back down the right side away from the chain.

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, on mine they come out near the dipstick well under it... sucks that you guys have droopy ones while on the 04-06 they're nice and perky...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are normal, they should be there. But they are also a hell of a lot longger than mine.

Make sure they are connected and then cut them off so they hang just under the sump.

Steve