My First Maintenance, What To Do?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys :Sport:

Been really busy with my new job so can't post or lurk as much but its nice to be here today. My bike is a '07 FZ6 i bought with 6700 miles on it 15 months ago with an unknown maintenance history. I change the oil and coolant (once on the coolant) and lube the cables and take care of the chain. Its also had a recent brake bleed. But the bike now has 17,000 miles on it and while it runs as perfect as the day I bought it I figure it might be able to use some preventive maintenance. But what?

Seems silly following the schedule on a bike this old. I will be doing none of this work myself however and just want to make sure I get the essentials done. But if the bike runs perfect should I even have it touched? It makes me nervous in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of way.

I figure these things might use some doing. I just want it to keep running great until 26,000 miles or so and the BIG service. So for now

Spark Plugs
Throttle Body Sync
Throttle adjustment (at the grip. its got some free play)
Air filter
Fuel injection cleaner (recommend a safe one please)

But thats all I can think of, really?!

Anything else I might want to do for an already running great FZ6? I have read of spark plug caps? Should I have some of those installed while I am at it? Is it a good idea?

What else could be done, or should be checked that may be a concern for a bike this age and with this mileage?

Thanks guys!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A brake FLUSH would be good.

Search front brake's dragging.

Your's is likely due for new seals. Yamaha recommends brake seal replacement every TWO years.. You should be able to get at least 1 FULL free spin on the CC, with the front wheel lifted off the ground.

In real life, expect 4-5 years. Mine needed replacement at about 9,000 miles. A scissor jack under the header works great.

Mine before seal replacement, maybe 1/2 rotation. Now, almost 3 years later, 4-4.5 rotations...

As for the mileage, I'm just shy of 20,000 miles, pleasure only, maintained runs like a top, as good if not better than when I got it used/wrecked..

I went to full synthetic oil Motul 7100 and I won't go back to anything else. Noticeable difference in shifting, MUCH less 1st gear clunk. Not cheap, but it gets nothing but the best. No Chinese knock off crap.

I changed spark plugs to Iridium's so I'm NOT changing them again anytime soon.

For the spark plug caps, just gently twist the cap on the wire or unscrew CC(reg thread) from the wire. Your looking for any blackness/arcing, that's NOT good. If found, clip approx 1/4" of the wire and re-screw on CAREFULLY making sure your dead center of the wire with the cap. If you go to Iridium's, please read this;
NGK Spark Plugs USA

This bike/engine will well go over 50,000 miles little maintenance. We have members with over 100,000 on the clock.

Last edited:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you recommend unscrewing the spark plug caps???!!!!!!!!!! From the wire???????!!!!!!!!!! To change the plugs????!!!!!!!!! May I ask why? Like the lady said "if it aint broke..." I just changed my plugs at 16K and the plugs did look OK. Ethanol free, lucky me. Air filter still OK too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you recommend unscrewing the spark plug caps???!!!!!!!!!! From the wire???????!!!!!!!!!! To change the plugs????!!!!!!!!! May I ask why? Like the lady said "if it aint broke..." I just changed my plugs at 16K and the plugs did look OK. Ethanol free, lucky me. Air filter still OK too.

Tom,

When I changed my plugs out a couple years ago, the thread (started/founded by Finalimpact) about the caps was NOT around.

I did not notice them loose, just R&Red the spark plugs, snapped the caps back on (with dielectric grease on the rubber part to slip in easier), done.

I don't have any excess vibration to speak of, so no, I'm not pulling caps when I DON't have an issue.

Should I have to pull plugs or develop a vib, I would simply try twisting the cap clockwise on the wire GENTLY and make sure it snugs up. If its sloppy/loose, there's going to be some arcing/bad connection in there that needs to be addressed..

There's numerous threads on it.

Here's the latest;

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...gain-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott. That clears it up, and a helpful tip on the silicone grease and a gentle clockwise twist on the cap.

Your very welcome.

The grease makes putting the cap back on, literally a "snap". You'll hear feel the positive click onto the plug, you really won't have to twist, etc. It'll pop on MUCH EASIER. Just wire the excess off the valve cover and your good to go...