Help removing brake pad pin

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Silly question, do I use a phillips head screw driver to remove the brake pad pin on the rear brake? I can't seem to get it to move I'm afraid to apply to much pressure, the boneman site is not the same as mine and I can only find stuff on the FZ6R, help guys!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
there should be a small cover, which you need a large flat head impact or screwdriver to undo, under that is the pin which needs an allen/hex key

Dannyrose1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question on topic, the rod that holds the brake pads in. The one that screw with a allen key on the rear brake and the front ones are held on with 2 pins,
HOW DO I STOP THEM FROM RUSTING?
i realise the pads have to slide slightly on them
But mine rust up so quick i have to clean them quite often
Shall i buy new ones? Maybe the protective coat has worm off?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question on topic, the rod that holds the brake pads in. The one that screw with a allen key on the rear brake and the front ones are held on with 2 pins,

Once the zinc plating it gone, they likely rust up. Replacement is the option. Not sure what else you could do.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably quite easy to do some DIY zinc electroplating. Not sure how much it would cost though

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Brake SPECIFIC GREASE, just a very light coating, should take care of it..

That is, with a good pin to start with, thats smooth and not rough.

Permatex makes a good brake grease:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-Caliper-Brush-Top-Bottle/dp/B000HBNV6W]Amazon.com: Permatex 24110 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, 8 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

"Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube is a green, non-melting, synthetic lubricant formulated to lubricate under the most adverse brake conditions. Assures that critical caliper pins, sleeves, bushings and pistons remain lubricated throughout pad life. From special-mission, job-specific lubricants, protectants and dressings, to the rigors of heavy-duty needs, count on Permatex to bring you reliability and problem-solving solutions that extend the life of your equipment."