Follow up threads about front brake squeaking + brake, piston cleaning..

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there, I was through all and finally mine doesn't squeak and tire rotation pretty good like 2.5 rev WITHOUT changing seal.. I hope my story helps any fellow rider gets into front brake squeaking and no slack on the brake pad that maybe maybe is required some seal replacement...

My story, I was about changing front brake pad after getting this bike 2007 FZ6 about a year. I opened up the brake and found the brake pads still have plenty of "meat' so put the brake back. That was the time the squeaking sound started happening. I did follow Scott's instruction to allign the allan pin bolt. A few weeks later it came back.

I cleaned the brake system, piston, changed brake fluid, applied brake quiet silicon gel on the back of the brake pads..etc you named it!. A few weeks later, the squeaking sound was back and the tire rotation seemed to be getting worse. As I remember, the very first time I got the bike, it was like 2 rev when turned. At this time, it was 3/4 rev...

I found out the squeaking normally came off the brake pad's pin holder (not the clips). And I checked out the pin on the left of the bike was worn out and it was turning around during my riding trips. I got two new pin holder and replaced both side. The tire rev wasn't improved, the squeaking sound was getting worse ...I was pissed as I couldn't get rid of that sound.

Finally, last Saturday, I went ahead opened the brake up again and cleaned them all. It was the time I found maybe my mistake or thing must be put back where it was originally there before. So I changed the support brake pad (number 21 , see the picture) from left to right and right to left.

picture.php

Awesome, my bike now has no more drag as the tire rev is around 2.5 whenever turned. Squeaking sound is gone for good!

It looks like the brake pad's support plate caused some drags as it was installed in the wrong side (yes it was installed by arrow point forward). The moment I switched the side, no more drags and no more squeaking. Specially the brake pad's pin holder is no longer turning around when riding.

I hope this help if someone might see the same situation like mine!

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha interesting.
I put new rotors and pads on my FZ a few months ago and ever since the replacement I get a squeal at low speeds when applying the front brakes. No squealing with the old parts just replaced them because it was becoming that time(pads that is, rotors just because I wanted to). I was hoping that the noise would go away after a few miles of bedding in the pads on the fresh rotors but the squeal is virtually the same today as it was when first installed(this is my DD so it's been about 3000 miles or so).
I will give your solution a try as it's a relatively easy fix just requiring needle-nose pliers, literally probably would take lees that 10 minutes. I just went out to my bike in the parking lot and checked the arrows as a quick sanity check and they were correct.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
if I'm not wrong, there should be a pointer on the part #21 for upside.

I think you assebmled that part after cleaning and fixed it after weeks of using...

anyways, nothing is better than a self-repairing rider :)

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
You should check the tension of the support plate while having the pin installed...try to turn the clip around so the pin will turn whether it makes sound or not...

Here how the support plate after I switched side on my bike... Of course all arrow direction point forward as they're installed (left, right here are when you sit on the bike!)

This is on the left ,,note the arrow
picture.php

This is on the right, note the arrow position on the plate,,
picture.php

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
fwiw there is no discernible difference in the anti-rattle clip (i.e. "SUPPORT, PAD") left vs right..

2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) (CA ED.) - FZS6XBC Yamaha Motorcycle FRONT BRAKE CALIPER Diagram and Parts

11 4SV-25919-00-00 SUPPORT, PAD $14.42
21 4SV-25919-00-00 SUPPORT, PAD $14.42

That said, all it takes to make a squeal is one of the four pads moving with the rotor and the clip (support pad) barely touching it. Because they can be bent during installation, its possible swapping them allowed better contact or perhaps equal pressure to the pad(s).

In short, bending it so as to apply adequate pressure on the pads may reduce some pad oscillations. I'm not seeing how swapping the support pad has any effect on tire rotations. :confused::confused:

Hope it remains quiet for you!

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
agreed FinalImpact...I think my case was to switching the side helped the pressure and released the tension on the brake pad so my brakes are now improving in its rev., no more squeaking sounds, kinda smooth brake during the ride....

To bend or deform the support plate,,,I might try it but unless I have another pair of plate ready to exchange just in case I mess those plate up..

So in my case, swapping side might have been helpful to release those pressure and tension that the plate cause onto the brake pad, and the pin (too much tension, or pressure from the support plate, it will make the pin spins and produce the squeaking sounds too)

Thx,
jh