Problems with Exhaust Removal

brendanb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Fairly new to modding and maintaining my own bike, trying to learn as I go and largely tis going well
But now this week I went at the exhaust to swap out my stock one for a Dominator model I've purchased.
When I was removing the plastic fairing mold around the exhaust I came to a pair of screws underneath the exhaust pointed down towards the rear wheel.
The screw heads immediately stripped themselves when I tried to remove them and they won't budge even marginally.
I know there are such things as screw extractors and I'm fairly confident I can manage to use them.

Essentially my question is this, is there any reason I need to be cautious or that I can't or shouldn't use such a method to remove the screws?
Such as a washer or nut on the other side of the screws?
As I said, I'm fairly new to this sort of thing so apologies if I missed something obvious.

My bike is a 2009 FZ6 S2 as in my avatar pic

Any help is welcome
Thanks!

P.s. I did try looking through the forum for anyone with this issue to avoid overlapping but I couldn't find anything relavant

Edit: I've just realised this is in the wrong place, I can't see how to move it :/

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Brendan!

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50046c72f8700209bc796c34/exhaust

See the link I've posted with the parts fiche. It sounds like you may be talking about #28. There are many ways to remove a stripped screw but the first and foremost task is to get some penetrating oil on the threads and this should also require shocking the screw. Shocking the screw helps to disturb particles that bind the threads. This shocking also aids in capillary function of the penetrating oil. Heating is another technique used in helping to get molecules moving but in your case you have a plastic piece the could be damaged by heat. You may end up going with the easy out but that's iffy with out the threads getting prepped. I've removed many bolts and screws using a hardened punch to rotate the screw by impacting the head in the rotation for removal.

If it is #28 then getting good results from impact will be minimized because those threads are on a flimsy metal bracket. My best guess would be to start with a small pilot drill, keeping it cool and lubricated. Then go to the drill that is recommended for an easy out. All after it's been penetrated with oil and shocked.

Let us know how you do!

You must wear protective eye wear. I've had a hardened screw head explode on impact from punch sending me to ER for shrapnel removal in my hand. So at least protect your eyes!

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I did my exhaust I hit those screws with an impact driver to loosen them first time I took them off. I had read somewhere that they are pretty soift but well seated home. They have a funny stepped metal washer that goes into the plastics so you want to be careful if you drill them out. The worst thing is they are upside down and you have little space to work. Even with the imapct driver I had little room to swng the hammer and I didnt want the bike coming off the stand.
Penetrating oil is a must and maybe you can tap them loose. Replce with an Allen head bolt- Unbrako or something similar and you'll be right forever!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As your removing the stock muffler anyway, I'd drill the heads off, remove the plastic cover and move on.

Once the muffler is off, should you want to mess with them, it's much easier working on the bench..

If you have access to a MIG welder, once the plastic is off, put a nut over the broken stud and do a plug weld(welding the nut to the stud). Between the heat and now an attached 6 point nut, it'll spin right out (while still red hot)-no drilling,

Or drill the broke stud with a small bit, working up to a larger bit, then picking out the remaining threads.

Last edited:

brendanb

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks all for the suggestions, I'll have to pop to the hardware shop to pick up a few bits before I can make use of these ideas, bu I'll post progress when I attempt it :)

oh and thanks for moving the post to the appropriate section, that was mildly embarrassing