Help! really strange problem!

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
Please read whole post:

My 04 FZ starts backfiring, not big bang bangs, but a constant burble crackle even on a constant throttle below 50mph now. I cant test it on the open road as my license is restricted for work use at current - My commute is about 30 minutes, and 20 miles. Mixed between 60mph motorways and 30mph areas. This has been going on for a few months.

The problem seems to occur once the bike has warmed up, and then been opened up a wee bit (not even red line or high speed though) on the second stretch of motorway just before work, after the little squirt and back into traffic its almost unridable - and having to hold it at 3k+ rpm when sat at the lights to stop it dying - so about 20mins into my ride.

I had this problem a little bit when the bike was stock - just with drilled pipes and the airbox mod - but it wasnt much of a problem, just a nuisance. Now its horrible since I put the leo vinces on :(

Yesterday I decided to patch up my air intake, and then raised the tank a few mm at the front (in front of the battery is full of my radar's wiring, so thought was restricting air supply a wee bit.

I also did +24 on C1 and C2 like someone here had the best dyno results from.

My bike was put on the dyno a few weeks back and the dealer said the power delivery is fine - though id doubt with the nature of how the problem appears, that theyd be able to replicate it.

I put new iridium plugs in too, and the TPS has been replaced twice in the bikes life and is OK now.

The only left wing thing i can think of here is a clogged oil filter? I was too lazy and didnt have the means of removing when I last did a change - but is this a potential cause?

EDIT: just spoke to the shop, they suggested my fuel could be off - surely not though, I used to use the bike twice a week before (though fanging in the countryside), but ive dumped some fuel injector cleaner into the tank - this still doesnt explain why it runs fine for a while.
Another option is to give it to a mate to take it for a good thrash to see if it improves as it hasnt been ridden ridden in 3 months now.

So this is the summary of what Ive done:
-----------------------------------------
Airbox mod - reverted to stock and back again to modded - no change
Raised the tank a few mm for better airflow and back to stock - No change
Changed old plugs for new iridiums - No change (though old plugs were wet and oily)
Stock pipes to Leovince with cat elim and baffles out - no change, a bit worse if anything
C1 and C2 +24 then back to stock - No change
Just put a load of injector cleaner into the tank to run through.

Bike is booked into a shop with a dyno on wednesday, id rather give it to them with a rough idea of where to look rather than paying them to go through all the things Ive already done, and some.

Please please give me some ideas guys, I dont want to pay my dealer for 3 hours labour just for looking at it...

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar problem on my GPZ and it was the ignition failing.I would get massive backfires and then she would drop to 2 cylinders then back to 4 !
Not exactly like your problem but may be a starting point.

Z

Zealadin

Only advice I can give is to ride it till the problem appears and let the dealer know you'll be dropping in, pull up outside with the problem still happening and ring them and tell them your just outside to come take a look (please).

I had a similar-ish problem on my last bike, it turned out the owner before had lived near the sea and not taken care of the bike, the inside of the tank was rusted, and the rust was going through the fuel lines and clogging up the carbies.

Also 3 months without a ride? You might want to check the fuel, it could have gone off.

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
Only advice I can give is to ride it till the problem appears and let the dealer know you'll be dropping in, pull up outside with the problem still happening and ring them and tell them your just outside to come take a look (please).

I had a similar-ish problem on my last bike, it turned out the owner before had lived near the sea and not taken care of the bike, the inside of the tank was rusted, and the rust was going through the fuel lines and clogging up the carbies.

Also 3 months without a ride? You might want to check the fuel, it could have gone off.

The problem is actually occurring quicker now, leading me to believe its a valve or gasket - backed up by oily plugs too.

Fuel is fine, by 3 months I mean the bike hasnt had a proper ride, just used once per week for the commute and to give the srx a rest.

Im dropping it off tomorrw and awaiting the pain of the $$

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i was thinking valves, apparently its not due yet.

The shop is adamant that its the TPS. I gave them the go ahead to put one in and try it, but I aint gonna pay if they are wrong! its on its third TPS already...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i was thinking valves, apparently its not due yet.

The shop is adamant that its the TPS. I gave them the go ahead to put one in and try it, but I aint gonna pay if they are wrong! its on its third TPS already...

Valves don't need to be even thought about until 26,000 miles, and even then most people don't need to do anything with them.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If they are putting on the TPS, they are supposed to sync the throttle bodies. It is in the TPS replacement instructions.

Wet and oily plugs might indicate something wrong with the ECU where it is throwing too much fuel into the cylinders. If this was an '07 or later, I'd say replace the O2 sensor. Could be that the airbox mod, well in doing it than going back, you might have disrupted the sensor in there. Vaccuum lines all intact? We just had another member discover one split and wide open.

Just random thoughts.... Hope someone's suggestion helps you get this bike right!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's see:

1) Problem persists after the engine has warmed up.
2) You need to monitor the RPM.
3) Spark plugs were wet and oily.

-How is your oil level? When was the last time it was changed?
-How is your battery? Can you test the charging system?
-Are you sure you installed the right spark plugs? Heat range? Proper gapping? Are they tight?
-Can you do a quick check of the fuses?
-Have you been riding in the rain, lately?
-Air filter good? Do you have any air-leaks? Check your throttle body hoses and connections.

I can almost GUARANTEE your problem is the answer to one of these questions (unless you had a monkey do your TPS).

Last edited:

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
Let's see:

1) Problem persists after the engine has warmed up.
2) You need to monitor the RPM.
3) Spark plugs were wet and oily.

-How is your oil level? When was the last time it was changed? 500kms ago! fine.
-How is your battery? Can you test the charging system? all good
-Are you sure you installed the right spark plugs? Heat range? Proper gapping? Are they tight? everything ok, havent checked gaps.
-Can you do a quick check of the fuses? fuses fine
-Have you been riding in the rain, lately? yes, problem started a while back
-Air filter good? Do you have any air-leaks? Check your throttle body hoses and connections. air filter good. hoses looked ok

I can almost GUARANTEE your problem is the answer to one of these questions (unless you had a monkey do your TPS).

Cheers, Bike is at the shop, the mechanic working on it says he just came back from working in the UK, and almost every Faulty FZ was TPS, I was out of ideas so I let him go ahead. Seems he knows his way around the bike so Im letting them get on with it.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Valves don't need to be even thought about until 26,000 miles, and even then most people don't need to do anything with them.

Thats what I was thinking, but it actually does sound like a valve problem. If it runs like crap when its warmed up and wont start when its already warmed up, I'm thinking its a valve problem. IMO