Help needed. Brake Piston Seals

france_54

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

as many do Im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I have had my FZ6 S2 58 plate for 6months now and after a harsh winter of riding the seals need replacing on the brakes. Now the last time I did this was on a bandit and cost about 30 pound a few years back.

I have just rang my local yammy dealer and a couple of others and the back set no worries 3.99....bargain! Front set for both calipers 124 pounds, WTF!

Does anyone know of any unofficial parts or cheaper options??

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I think ~£40 is the going rate for a complete set of seals

the problem is tolerances, some 3rd party ones might be slightly off

have you tried just cleaning the pistons and seals up?

france_54

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you link a place that retails at those prices? Or any 3rd party please?

No I havnt checked them yet, I was just going to buy new ones as they were so cheap last time I did it. But now ill be taking them off this weekend and seeing if they can be restored.

Cheers

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
once I got them from a dealer (for a honda) and the last two times I got some nikone ones off ebay, wemoto are also reputable

don't forget to get some red rubber grease too

provided they aren't pitted you might be able to clean them up using some brake fluid and a soft cloth. don't forget to get all the dirt from inside the callipers out too as this will be deforming them slightly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At the dealership, for the 4 piston fronts, it was about $120.00 US just for the seals for my old 04 FJR (same caliper).

For my 07 FZ6, about a year ago, I got all the seals delivered to my home for about $80.00 (US) from Partzilla:

Partzilla.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki Polaris, Suzuki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP

I can tell you from experiance, I cleaned mine and re-greased when they were starting to stick (about 5 years old). That lasted about 9 months then they started dragging again.

The rubber just gets old and doesn't flex once worn and drag. I ended up just re-sealing them, (I didn't use ANY brake grease this time, just brake fluid) and I now get 4-5 free spins out of the front wheel about a year later...

IMHO, I would NOT CUT corners and buy anything but Genuine YAMAHA seals to save a buck

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
You could try ronayers.com or bikebandit.com and see if they ship to the UK. I believe they're OEM parts.