Nicked caliper piston

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I prepare to upgrade my S1 to R6 forks, I began preparing my fleabay brake calipers by disassembling and cleaning while I wait for the new caliper seals. And as luck would have it, one of the larger pistons has some surface damage:

20180811_114139.jpg

The marks are toward the top of the piston. There is some drag when I scrape a fingernail across, so I need to do something. I might just purchase new pistons for peace of mind, but I also want to hear options.

If I were to attempt a rescue, I am guessing that a sanding / polishing would be in order.

So my question is: If you were going to try to salvage this piston, what would you do?

Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Replace! That said if it binds at all after clean up and costs you a set of pads early, now you're out pads and piston.

If cleaned up, its not like it will cause a catastrophic brake loss but could leak and cause other issues. Pay up and fix it right is the best choice. Especially if you're waiting on parts already.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered the replacements, which was my likely choice.

But hypothetically, does anyone know of a preferred method to refurbish?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered the replacements, which was my likely choice.

But hypothetically, does anyone know of a preferred method to refurbish?

+1 on replacement, no question.

Looks like someone grabbed it with a vise grip vs using air to blow the piston out. .

As for repair, You could use a fine file on the high spots down BUT you still have the low spots that will either leak or tear up your new seals..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on replacement, no question.

Looks like someone grabbed it with a vise grip vs using air to blow the piston out. .

As for repair, You could use a fine file on the high spots down BUT you still have the low spots that will either leak or tear up your new seals..

My guess as well, especially after I blew mine out with air. BIG pita! Had to reinsert those that came out too far and left the others deep in the caliper. I was laughing because initially I thought if that was happening I could use my fingers to hold the loose ones in longer while I GENTLY released the air. That idea went out the window when I did my first one and realized that the caliper pistons snapped down onto my wood shim like a bear trap :).

Anyway, new stuff on order. Can't imagine reaching for the brake lever wondering if the nicks were chewing up the lower seal.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, air is the only way to go with a rag opposite the piston to catch it..

When it lets loose, and your finger is there, you'll KNOW IT!

That was the hard part, re-assembly is easy peezy...