Help!! It's 19F(-7C) Can't get my key in!

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
My bike is so cold and I do not have a garage that I cannot get the key into the ignition. I heated it up with a lighter last night when it was 27F(-2C) and that got it in and worked but I am late for work.

Has anyone else had this problem???

I heated it up last night and I still had a hard time getting it to turn. I know if I use hot water it will just freeze right back up. I am literally sitting here trying to think of something.

Stuck,

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
WD-40 might work

Also, it wont help you now but they make a product for deicing your car doors. It might do the same for the ignition on a motorcycle.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
It happened to me a few times last year. I tried deicer and WD40 and neither worked. I would up using a hair dryer. Good luck.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy a lock spray and some lock oil. The spray melts the ice, and the oil will surpress any moisture, hence no icing in the future. I don't know if you can get that on your local gas station, though.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Start walking! J/K.......

Hair dryer to melt and dry moisture in the keypod.

An ounce of prevention is better than a gallon of cure:

Try putting a 35mm film plastic canister over the keypod when parked to keep moisture from seeping into the keyhole.
Top Modding, Kudos to you.

Nelly

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me but in reverse. I went to get off my bike but my key would not move. I had to hit the killswitch and fight with it for a while to get it out. I eventually poured water over b/c that was the only thing I had where I was at.

If you come up with a full proof system then pass on the knowledge.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me but in reverse. I went to get off my bike but my key would not move. I had to hit the killswitch and fight with it for a while to get it out. I eventually poured water over b/c that was the only thing I had where I was at.

Next time this happens can you get someone to video you fighting with the key and post it up on youtube. I think it would be worth a laugh!!:thumbup:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
would say go for the hair dryer be very careful with the lighter!!! Just remember you do not want to get it too hot, the wires are most likely soldered on with low temp solder.... flame may loosen it and that could get very expensive, never had one open so not 100% but assuming....

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to use lock de-icer several weeks ago, the lock had frozen despite being under a cover (outside).

One big plus point is that it hasn't frozen again and it works much smoother than before. I looked on the container and it says that it also contains lubricant :thumbup:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of weeks ago my ignition key would go in OK, it would turn to park OK, but wouldn't go to on.

Ended up using the wifes hairdryer... (it's a few years since the last time I had to use her hair dryer for it's intended purpose ;) )

Didn't take much heat to get it working again.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look in one of your christmas boxes and find a block of polystyrene.

Use a craft knife to model it and make a box that covers your ignition switch. It does not have to be big, just enough to cover the bits that freeze.

When you park up just pop it on and you will be ok when you get back to the bike.

Doing this way means you don`t have to take your hairdryer to work.

Steve

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Great tips here. I like the hairdryer idea the most.

One time my key got stuck, so I used a INCANDESCENT LIGHTBULB to so the trick. You hold the illuminated lightbulb to the keyhole and after about 5 minutes, you're good to go.

DO NOT USE A LIGHTER!! YOU COULD IGNITE THE GAS!!

You could also use ALCOHOL to get results. Most LOCK DE-ICERS are purely alcohol. Make sure your key will work for the fuel-tank as well. It's very disappointing to get to the fuel station, only to discover you cannot unlock the fuel tank.

Last edited:

Symba2000

Reaction score
Visit site
lol.. I hearing these temperatures and am cold just thinking about it.

The coldest I've ridden in was 35 degrees (F) for about 40 miles... MAN I was freezing. You guys are troopers :)