help fixing after I laid her down

Jefferson

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay guys...

Been reading this forum for a while, trying to determine waht bike to get.

Y'all convinced me to get a FZ6.

Found a 2004 with 3000 miles.

Been riding it for a couple of weeks and laid it down.

First off...it was my fault. Totally hit a turn too fast...old hard tires and gravel.

Yeah...I know...I am a dummy. Feel free to laugh. It was all my fault. 100%

Popped the left turn indicator out, smashed a headlight and the windshield.

Question one - are the headlight assemblies the same through 07...they seem to be.

Question two, does that turn indicator pop back into the rubber stalk? I am having problems.

Question three- any tips on where to get parts?

Any other advice is welcome.

I know this should be in the hall of shame...but I can't wait to get the formerly beautiful bike back on the road.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay guys...

Been reading this forum for a while, trying to determine waht bike to get.

Y'all convinced me to get a FZ6.

Found a 2004 with 3000 miles.

Been riding it for a couple of weeks and laid it down.

First off...it was my fault. Totally hit a turn too fast...old hard tires and gravel.

Yeah...I know...I am a dummy. Feel free to laugh. It was all my fault. 100%

Popped the left turn indicator out, smashed a headlight and the windshield.

Question one - are the headlight assemblies the same through 07...they seem to be.

Question two, does that turn indicator pop back into the rubber stalk? I am having problems.

Question three- any tips on where to get parts?

Any other advice is welcome.

I know this should be in the hall of shame...but I can't wait to get the formerly beautiful bike back on the road.

Well you said nothing of injury to self so there is the plus in this, you came out well!

As for the bike, yes, the signals should pop back in. I think there is a tab to press.
Parts; fleebay, here, and new if it has to be, but there are other FZ forums out there. You could ping SBN for parts and keep in mind that some R6 and FZ6R parts fit these too. So it depends what you need. Likely going to be hit or miss in any forsale section.

Yes, 07 - 09 are all the same for the headlight. Some take this option to get undressed. It depends on your needs. The Nakid parts conversion may cost as much as a used fairing tho...

Look here { For Sale: http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-for-sale/ } and Post here in the WANT to Buy { http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-wanted/ } section for the parts you need. People will come to you!!!

Hang in there, Glad your OK, Welcome to the Forum and Here's to getting back on the horse! Be safe!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Jefferson,

Very sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you're OK and intent on getting the bike back together.

I'm not an expert but I've done a lot of research on this forum so I can point you to some resources.

On question 1, please see the compatibility chart at:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/3438-unofficial-fz6-compatibility-chart.html?highlight=compatibility

For fairings, the chart says that the 04 thru 06 are compatible, then they changed for 07 thru 09. BUT I've also heard that the change from S1 to S2 happened during the 2007 model year, so your 07 might be the earlier version. If the fairing has a sort of cut-out on both sides then it and the headlights will be the same as the 04 thru 06. If the sides of the fairing are solid (see the pic of my 08 on my profile) then you'll need the S2 version.

On question 2, yes, the turn signals are designed to survive some versions of a spill, but things can go wrong. Look closely at the one on the other side. The stalk changes from a hard plastic to a rubber part that fits into an oval opening in the mounting on the bike. Then from the inside of the mounting, there's a flat plastic (black) oval shaped disk with prongs at top & bottom that fit into the rubber stalk that extends through the mounting. The wire goes through a hole in the center of the disk - so if it's not right at the mounting, it should be nearby on the wire, unless it split and dropped off. If it's gone it should be cheap and easy to get one at the dealer.

On question 3, it really depends on your budget and how long you're willing to search. Check the parts for sale section of this forum and make a post on the want to buy section. Check Craigs List and Ebay, Lots of people change their bikes to the naked version and after a bit decide to sell the fairing, etc.

OTOH, maybe this would be a good time to try the naked look for your bike. There would be fewer parts to buy :thumbup:. I think you can get a kit, but you still have to bend/shape some metal parts. Again, check the posts here on the forum. There's lots of help and support.

GOOD LUCK!

Chris

Jefferson

Reaction score
Visit site
no

no injury to myself...other than pride.

Heck, it I had not lost track and only downshifted to second, it wouldn't have happened.

Total dumb move on my part.

The FORMERLY perfect bike is an 04.

I see some 07 headlight assemblies. Will they work?

and By the way....

I truly appreciate the assistance.

That said, my pride is bruised...especially on this forum.

You guys are why I bought this bike.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
no

no injury to myself...other than pride.

Heck, it I had not lost track and only downshifted to second, it wouldn't have happened.

Total dumb move on my part.

The FORMERLY perfect bike is an 04.

I see some 07 headlight assemblies. Will they work?

and By the way....

I truly appreciate the assistance.

That said, my pride is bruised...especially on this forum.

You guys are why I bought this bike.

Sorry about the bike but its done now and I'm not here to bust your chops, actually few are. Just help you get it back together! OK - so its an 04! That helps narrow down what you need. So, start a WTB thread with the parts you need and see where it goes. If nothing comes of it, that naked conversion is a viable option.

Long term, is this for commuting, pleasure, canyon or what is the primary need? Do you need a big wind screen for commuting?

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're ok, the bike can be usually be repaired. How about posting some pics of the bike. You will be surprised what some can see.

:needpics:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Jefferson

Reaction score
Visit site
Heck...the dealer was almost as cheap as ebay for the headlight assembly.

Was hoping to find a take-off windshield but no luck

Any tips on getting the turn indicator back in?

grrrr

Jefferson

Reaction score
Visit site
shame

IMG_06351_zps24cf0dc5.jpg

IMG_06361_zpsd7df8b12.jpg

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure you said it but just to confirm, you're a new rider, correct? I know you said you won't feel whole until it's "perfect" again. But...........

You're a new rider. Still on hard (gasp... original?) rubber? I would first invest in a set of tires for your riding style. Then, focus on getting it back on the road but don't sweat cosmetics. Plenty of time to be vain but the first year or two of riding isn't it...

In my first year I had a stop and drop (my fault) and later in the same season, was knocked off by an inattentive kid driver. Both sides have nicks here and there but it's fine... it's just a thing. The more perfect it is, the more you slave over finish, the more you freak over rain, scratches, gravel, the more you pay.

I understand not everyone will feel this way so if there's one bit of advice I recommend you absolutely follow... tires. None of the cosmetics matter if you end up on the side again.

Glad you're ok.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
pleasure bike

Damn...I am still mad at myself

Will be so until she looks perfect again.

Good to know you're fine. I actually fell my first week of riding my bike. All you can really do is get up and go again.

IMO, I would wait to get it fixed up, get more comfortableon it first.

I have a scraped up fairing, cracked my left headlight on the far outer edge, and a few other minor things. I want to fix it so bad, but seeing as I am still a new rider:)rockon:) I want her to be my wife being fully fixing her. She's only my girlfriend right now. ;)

Good luck with your search on parts though!

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As to your turn signal. The bolt and little metal tab are suppose to be in the inside of the rubber collar. See the pic of my signal apart (ignore the extra cut wires, you will only have the gray connector if it is stock). The way I see it there, must be a cut or crack somewhere for the metal piece and wire to come out like that so inspect carefully. The others mentioned the black collar, which is on the stalk inside the fairing.

Edit: it is actually a nut and not a bolt that holds the metal tab on.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree it looks like it pulled through, but the bolt and wires are in distinct holes. For both to pull through there must be a crack connecting the two. It may go back together and be just fine, but the metal piece definately belongs on the other side of the rib inside the flexable rubber. The metal tab is also originally flat, not bent.

It was mentioned but i'd check the tires. There should be 4 numbers imprinted on the sidewall. Ex: 2109 would be the tire was manufactured the 21st week of 2009. There have been multiple threads on tires and age so not going into that here.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2