Helmet that can beat the summer heat.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I just watched a couple of videos on the new Scorpion EXO-500 lid ($199), seems they have some pretty good airflow innovations too. One dealership claimed you could feel air move thru while walking, if that's the case I'm sold!
My EXO-1000 is about to celebrate its fifth birthday, and I'm starting to nose around for a new helmet too.

The oil paint is out standing!! I'd like to get one, I'm waiting for webbikeworld to do a review on it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When looking at helmets online, I make sure the model I'm looking at has a light-colored helmet with one or two decent designs. Like you said, dark-colored gear does attract those rays. I am in the hunt for a lighter colored jacket too.

I am willing to sacrifice wind noise in the helmet for great ventilation. Headphones or earplugs will be in place.

I am going to have to look more into these Bell helmets. Gotta try some on now.
Good prices, vents and SNELL 2010.

Thank you all for your responses.

There are two places I know have some AGV's here in SD so if you want hook up with me and we'll check some out. One place is the Yamaha dealership in San Marcos and the other is the BMW dealership next to Fun Bike Center. PM me you mobile.
I have the RF1100 and it's worlds apart from the Scorpion EXO1000 I was using. The RF1100 is a great helmet when riding more forward and the ventilation was much better than the EXO1000. I tried using my EXO1000 the other day on the SV and it was uncomfortable having to hike my head back further than the RF1100. The visibility in the RF1100 is so much better.
As usual each of us has the get personally fit for the right bucket.

Oh yeah, if you wanna ride, ping me!

Last edited:

los211

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have a bell vortex. It vents very well and is 90% quieter than my old hawk helmet. very happy with it so far. I sweat easy and this helmet has enough air flow to keep me cool. Also I had it out one day in the the rain and it stayed dry.

i

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
There are two places I know have some AGV's here in SD so if you want hook up with me and we'll check some out. One place is the Yamaha dealership in San Marcos and the other is the BMW dealership next to Fun Bike Center. PM me you mobile.
I have the RF1100 and it's worlds apart from the Scorpion EXO1000 I was using. The RF100 is a great helmet when riding more forward and the ventilation was much better than the EXO1000. I tried using my EXO1000 the other day on the SV and it was uncomfortable having to hike my head back further than the RF1000. The visibility in the RF1100 is so much better.
As usual each of us has the get personally fit for the right bucket.

Oh yeah, if you wanna ride, ping me!
I tried on a couple different AGV lids at South Bay Motors. Looks like fleabay has the best prices on them.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
The GP Tech is the most comfortable helmet I have ever found for my big melon but I wear a modular and that works pretty well for heat. Unless that heat is 110F or so which is brutal in any manner.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant speak for the GP Tech but if its anything near my AGV Stealth then its the best ventilation on the market :thumbup: Riding around in a humid & sticky Queensland summer I swear by the vents in my AGV , they really really do work.....

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
thats a great choice sundiego. could i ask you a favour for when/ifyou get the gp tech?

could you post a review of how it fits on your head/shape of your head/comfort/ventilation during rides and quality of the materials used? (if its not too much trouble for you that is)

i am asking you this since there are barely any reviews on the gp tech.

NIN

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a brand new Bell Star helmet with the Transitions face shield a couple of months ago. I have been extremely happy for most part, other than what appears to be a very light rattling sound when anywhere from 40-80 mph, about 10-20% of the time. I believe it is a button swivel for the right neck support pad vibrating in the wind, which should be easy enough to replace. I picked this helmet up brand new for $199.99 through a closeout website (Motorcyclecloseouts.com), and don't think it could be beat for the price!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard the high end AGV ones can limit visibility in some real-life traffic scenarios since they are race-oriented.

No idea how accurate that is.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I know Bell makes a great product but every time I hear their name, all I can think of is this:
a20791d128d54c51f5c756_m.jpg

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard the high end AGV ones can limit visibility in some real-life traffic scenarios since they are race-oriented.

No idea how accurate that is.
Don't see how that could be. When I tried different AGV helmets on they seemed to allow a decent field of vision.

I have yet to buy a helmet. There hasn't been a need for it as of yet. We've had very mild temperatures which has made for some enjoyable riding with my current helmet(Shoei RF1000).

We'll see how warm this summer gets.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I hate you guys for making me want a new helmet....
And now that I've seen the Matte black Carbon Bell Star I want it. I really want it.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just watched a couple of videos on the new Scorpion EXO-500 lid ($199), seems they have some pretty good airflow innovations too. One dealership claimed you could feel air move thru while walking, if that's the case I'm sold!
My EXO-1000 is about to celebrate its fifth birthday, and I'm starting to nose around for a new helmet too.

I Picked up the EXO-1100 In march at $275- now I have seen some for as heap as $210. (I know I am talking about the 1100 its more of a sit up aggressive touring vise a 750/500 that is the 3/4 or tucked , more aggressive riders helmet).

The two top vents are very cooling something to do with the inner of the helmet, has groves to help the air flow across the top of your head, the brow vent is very cooling and reaches almost to my ears and i can feel it across my temples, the chin vent is channel across the chin and in front of the nose (in front of the defogging screen). which i often ride with it closed on overcast mornings anything below 75F because it so cold it hurts my contacts.

The air pump system makes it VERY comfortable and fit of your choice every time you wear it, and it has a complete removable liner that is made with a quick wiq 2 technology which means it dies fast as heck i can machine wash it on light and let it air dry within 30 min, or if you wash by hand it takes a bit less.

very good helmet (1100) i assume the 750/500 have the same technology just styled different.
:rockon: Very good bang for the buck. :rockon:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shark Evoline 3 FTW. Got excellent ventilation, and if you're streaming down the highway and need fresh air, flip up the chin-bar for 30secs.

Fantastic helmet - has the notches for a Bluetooth system (no more bogus headphones!) is cool and offers good road sound deadening so you don't have to have the music cranked as high to hear it!

I use the Sena SMH5 with mine and it is excellent.

Cheers,
Rick

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll toss another one into the mix, my X-Lite X-802 has ventilation that makes you feel you are not wearing anything at all. a chin vent, two on top and a rear fin you can open makes the air flow as much or as little as you want. Very comfortable in the heat although noisy so earplugs are an absolute must.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have an AGV S4 which had great air flow but was LOUD!!!! Plus the D rings were not made correctly and had a sharp edge which frayed the chin strap in 5 or 6 months - AGV did nothing! Had a Shark RSI which was good but not as much air flow.

Current helmet is a white Shoei RF1100 not as much air flow as the AGV but sooooo much less noise and it is very well made. Have ridden it in 99 to 100 degree temps.

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ever since I last posted, I've been very happy with my Shoei RF-1100 Seilon. It has definitely been warm around these parts this summer but, I am content with this helmet. Highly recommended.