Helmet that can beat the summer heat.

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
Heya mates!
I am looking to pick up a new helmet soon. I currently have a Shoei RF-1000. Great helmet but I would to have a helmet that cools and vents well. I sweat quite a bit and warm weather is nearing here in San Diego. Helmets which I have looked into and tried on are the Shoei RF-1100, Shoei X Twelve and AGV GP Tech. I'm leaning more towards the AGV being that is has a good amount of ventilation openings on the entire helmet and the price. I just have not had riding time with any other helmets to have a feel for which I can decide on.

Does anyone here have any experiences with the AGV GP Tech?

agv_gptech_rossi_hands.jpg

Thanks!
-Luis

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never tried the agv myself. No one in this city sells them! But another good helmet brand you can look at if you prefer the full face is Bell. Excellent ventilation, as I also own a shoei rf1000 and the Bell models blow it away (no pun intended).

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i can't say anything about the gp tech's ventilation. all i know is that its super comfortable, i think its better than my current shark rsr2 which is saying something. the liner is very soft feeling and you have a decent space for ears

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say either the Bell Star or your initial thought on the agv gp-tech provide the best ventilation, but the amount of noise these helmets generate would make it necessary to pump music to block it out.

Also, I know its elementary, but for ultimate heat reduction while in traffic don't buy dark helmets. On average, a dark blue or black will keep your head 7-10 degrees warmer while in direct sunlight.

They look really cool, but when you pull your sweaty face and head out of it, what looks cool?

wangt86

Reaction score
Visit site
All of bell's new helmets use the same ventilation system. (star, vortex, revolver, RS-1)

Don't bother with the star it is overpriced. I would go for the RS-1 instead of the star if you want comparable features with a decent build quality.

Get the Qwest instead of the RF1100 if your bike is setup for upright touring ride

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say either the Bell Star or your initial thought on the agv gp-tech provide the best ventilation, but the amount of noise these helmets generate would make it necessary to pump music to block it out.

Also, I know its elementary, but for ultimate heat reduction while in traffic don't buy dark helmets. On average, a dark blue or black will keep your head 7-10 degrees warmer while in direct sunlight.

They look really cool, but when you pull your sweaty face and head out of it, what looks cool?
When looking at helmets online, I make sure the model I'm looking at has a light-colored helmet with one or two decent designs. Like you said, dark-colored gear does attract those rays. I am in the hunt for a lighter colored jacket too.

I am willing to sacrifice wind noise in the helmet for great ventilation. Headphones or earplugs will be in place.

I am going to have to look more into these Bell helmets. Gotta try some on now.
Good prices, vents and SNELL 2010.

Thank you all for your responses.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
My Arai Vector seems to vent great. It is hands down the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. Definitely take a look at the Arai helmets too.
arai-vector-frost-black.jpg

Last edited:

wangt86

Reaction score
Visit site
My Arai Vector seems to vent great. It is hands down the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. Definitely take a look at the Arai helmets too.
arai-vector-frost-black.jpg

09/10 WRX in WRB?

Most helmets that are Snell 2010 rated are heavier than there Snell 05 counterparts. Also more ventilation ports typically means more noise.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If ventilation during the summer is such a concern for you, consider a 3/4 helmet or a modular helmet. Yes, there is a tradeoff from providing the best possible protection for your head and giving way to being less constricted with heat and ventilation.

It all comes down to being comfortable, the last thing you want to be doing while riding is worrying about your gear. You want to focus on your ride, not your gear.

A lighter colored helmet is also a very good idea, and something to consider as well. Don't get black.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
09/10 WRX in WRB?

You got it :thumbup: 2010 WRX. Not sure what you mean by WRB but it's actually my fiance's car. I am nowhere near responsible enough to drive that thing on a daily basis. :D She's spoiled. She has a PHD (Papa has Dealership) So she gets all the good cars. At least I get to drive them :D

bjorn240

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Shoei X-11 in white. It flows pretty good, but obviously more vents equal more noise. It is significantly cooler (and louder) than my RF1000 or RF800.

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything you guys recommend to be worn in warm to hot weather under your leather jackets to keep you cool or help with sweat? Or do many of you just wear mesh jackets?

I'd like to keep the leathers on. So I am looking for suggestions on cooler leather jackets too.

Thanks in advance! :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just watched a couple of videos on the new Scorpion EXO-500 lid ($199), seems they have some pretty good airflow innovations too. One dealership claimed you could feel air move thru while walking, if that's the case I'm sold!
My EXO-1000 is about to celebrate its fifth birthday, and I'm starting to nose around for a new helmet too.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If ventilation during the summer is such a concern for you, consider a 3/4 helmet or a modular helmet. Yes, there is a tradeoff from providing the best possible protection for your head and giving way to being less constricted with heat and ventilation.

It all comes down to being comfortable, the last thing you want to be doing while riding is worrying about your gear. You want to focus on your ride, not your gear.

A lighter colored helmet is also a very good idea, and something to consider as well. Don't get black.
You ride daily in the hottest damn place I've ever visited; what lid do you use, VegasRider?