Helmet smelling a bit gamey?

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this has been suggested before (I did a quick search, but nothing came up) but after riding all day in the heat, my helmet often doesn't smell so great o the inside.

I found that stuffing a fabric softener sheet, like Bounce or the like, inside the helmet overnight freshens things up quite nicely.

Give it a try if your lid has that not-so-fresh smell.

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
Wearing a bandana, buff, or doorag of sorts will also help to prevent smelliness. I wear a buff all year round to help keep out sweat and hair products.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that is a good trick to try, i have been spraying mine with Lysol every now and then.

I will be trying this as an alternative.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
that is a good trick to try, i have been spraying mine with Lysol every now and then.

I will be trying this as an alternative.

Lysol huh??? She does love you doesn't she???

I use the dryer sheets between cleanings but a quick hand wash and day in from of the A/C makes it smell (and look) better than new

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a great idea... I'm going to get one and try it now. I just hope it doesn't start smelling to pretty, I do like the the smell of helmet, I mean before it hits the gamey levels of stench.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
It's pretty obvious, but keep your hair clean. If you let your hair get dirty/greasy, that gets in your helmet, then that gets your hair dirtier and dirtier even after you've washed it! Yet another reason for bikers to have short hair.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the years I would make a mix of 80/20 bleach water and use a wash cloth to spunge clean the inside. I would get it pretty wet with this mixture, the use a white towel to absorb most of the dampness.
I would do this on days when I was sure I would not be riding.
After cleaning my helmets with the bleach/water mix, I would place the helmet on a table outside with the sun shinning inside the helmet.
This will sterilize and get rid of odors.
Wearing a do rag always helps.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't cleaned/fumigated mine since I got it 2 years ago :eek:

I figure in the event that someone steals it they'll have a nice surprise when they throw it on. Plus chicks dig it.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't cleaned/fumigated mine since I got it 2 years ago :eek:

I figure in the event that someone steals it they'll have a nice surprise when they throw it on. Plus chicks dig it.

In my psychology of sexuality class, it is said that the scent of a man's sweat can calm and soothe a woman. It can also arouse her as well. Not sure if it works the other way around, but when my girlfriend walks by me, naughty thoughts fill the mind.

Back to the topic of smelly helmets, I take out my liners and wash them after every couple of months or so. But a small spray of Febreeze works just fine if I am too lazy. I also agree with SANGER_A2, it helps to keep our hair clean.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this has been suggested before (I did a quick search, but nothing came up) but after riding all day in the heat, my helmet often doesn't smell so great o the inside.

I found that stuffing a fabric softener sheet, like Bounce or the like, inside the helmet overnight freshens things up quite nicely.

Give it a try if your lid has that not-so-fresh smell.

I use a product called Helmet fresh from the mcsuperstore and spray it in after every ride. It always stays fresh.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine doesnt get stinkey or anything but I like to spray my favorite cologne in it and in my jacket so they smell really good..

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Some people put their helmet in the dishwasher (make sure its clean and don't user detergent) and apparently that works really well.
I've heard alot of people cautioning against drying in the sun, unless you remove the inners.
Can also just remove them and give them a hand wash with soap.

I'd avoid using a can purely on the offchance whatever chemicals are in the freshener/propellant could damage the part of the helmet that may save my head one day

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
This reminded me of a funny story. My girlfriend was wearing one of my old full-face helmets and riding pillion. I heard her say "yuck" while we were waiting at the lights. When we arrived, I asked her why she said "yuck". This is a direct quote of what she said "I licked the inside of the helmet and it didn't taste very nice"!!! :jawdrop: :rof:

Completely true story! :innocent:

On the way back, I heard her say yuck again and then complain that it still tasted manky!!! :Im With Stupid:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
This reminded me of a funny story. My girlfriend was wearing one of my old full-face helmets and riding pillion. I heard her say "yuck" while we were waiting at the lights. When we arrived, I asked her why she said "yuck". This is a direct quote of what she said "I licked the inside of the helmet and it didn't taste very nice"!!! :jawdrop: :rof:

Completely true story! :innocent:

On the way back, I heard her say yuck again and then complain that it still tasted manky!!! :Im With Stupid:

You actually have me sitting here wondering if if can touch the front of my helmet with my tongue, But I refuse to go find out........
be right back.:D