Helmet lock

ricefazer

Reaction score
Visit site
So I bought my bike (07 FZ6) used and the helmet lock had been removed. I think I'm just going to order a replacement online, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with how it works? Do they send the whole helmet lock system with a new key? Would my current key work somehow? If its the former, any way I can get a single key to work for both my helmet lock and ignition?
Thanks!

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody (I can't find it.) had a write-up on how to use a hose clamp as a helmet lock on an S1. I did it and it works great. Not sure about ordering. Seems like they'd have to key the lock for you. Sounds like more $ than it's worth. But maybe not?

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a small c-ring that slides through the D-ring in the helmet securing it to the bike. If it's not there, I wouldn't bother replacing it.

I wouldn't leave my helmet locked on my bike as you never know what someone might do to it. Carry the helmet with you; it's designed to save your life so don't let it out of your sight.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
You would get a new key with your lock. No there is no way to get one key for your ignition and your helmet lock, unless you buy a whole set together - ignition, seat lock, helmet lock.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always carried my helmet - if you chuck your arm through it and out through the visor opening, it sits on your elbow nicely. I obsess about my helmet....

One story I heard comes to mind though. One of the guys on here was talking about one of his friends left their helmet locked on their bike, only to come back and find out, after they'd put it on, that some nice passer-by has pissed in it....

I reckon you're always better off with it in your control - YOU will take better care of it than anyone else as it's potentially your life.

(It's locked on your bike and some n00b likes the look of it and tries to pull it off, or cut is off - then you have stressed or partially cut helmet straps.

Or they try to remove it, get the sh!ts and drop it on the bike/damage it/scratch it etc.

I try to park my bike where I can see it, and treat my helmet as an extension of my body.

Cheers,
Rick

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Generally speaking, I'm not concerned with theft or d-bag accidents. Simply using the lock adds unwanted wear and tear (on our bikes at least). Ring-strap gets pulled, left cheek/neck padding gets squished, and the outside rubs against protruding metal. It should really be positioned 1" further out.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Helmet Gaurdian and the original Yamaha lock has the same exterior but slightly different insides.
The below link shows HOW TO RE-KEY THE LOCK TO FIT YOUR KEY, written by one of my customers.

It should be noted that both Yamaha and HG make the lock that is exactly the same on the exterior BUT has a different style offset (exact opposite). As long as your key will semi go into the lock cylinder, it can be re-keyed to match your key.

I re-keyed HG's locks to fit my old FJR and also re-keyed the second lock I have on the right side of my FZ6 (first pic), pic's 3 &4 are that of a Gen II FJR, the right side ((#4 is hard to see as i have them now color matched to the frame))

The last two pictures show a full face helmet locked to an FJR, soft bottom of the helmet to the bike (no scratching), semi weather proof as it isn't hanging upside down either...

For dislosure purposes, I design and make helmet lock brackets for all year FJR's (using the HG) and have this link on my sales ad for any of my customers.. I do BMW's too with its a completely different lock assembly...

Helmet Guardian locks - FJRForum

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Generally speaking, I'm not concerned with theft or d-bag accidents. Simply using the lock adds unwanted wear and tear (on our bikes at least). Ring-strap gets pulled, left cheek/neck padding gets squished, and the outside rubs against protruding metal. It should really be positioned 1" further out.

+1 on being in too far.

I moved my factory one out about an inch, along with a BMW style electrical outlet.

Last edited:

ricefazer

Reaction score
Visit site
The Helmet Gaurdian and the original Yamaha lock has the same exterior but slightly different insides.
The below link shows HOW TO RE-KEY THE LOCK TO FIT YOUR KEY, written by one of my customers.

It should be noted that both Yamaha and HG make the lock that is exactly the same on the exterior BUT has a different style offset (exact opposite). As long as your key will semi go into the lock cylinder, it can be re-keyed to match your key.

I re-keyed HG's locks to fit my old FJR and also re-keyed the second lock I have on the right side of my FZ6 (first pic), pic's 3 &4 are that of a Gen II FJR, the right side ((#4 is hard to see as i have them now color matched to the frame))

The last two pictures show a full face helmet locked to an FJR, soft bottom of the helmet to the bike (no scratching), semi weather proof as it isn't hanging upside down either...

For dislosure purposes, I design and make helmet lock brackets for all year FJR's (using the HG) and have this link on my sales ad for any of my customers.. I do BMW's too with its a completely different lock assembly...

Helmet Guardian locks - FJRForum

Thats exactly what I was hoping for! My brother actually has a lock pick set, and he showed me the basics of how to pick a lock, so this doesn't look too difficult! Off to the dealer tomorrow to see if they have an spare helmet locks in stock.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats exactly what I was hoping for! My brother actually has a lock pick set, and he showed me the basics of how to pick a lock, so this doesn't look too difficult! Off to the dealer tomorrow to see if they have an spare helmet locks in stock.

The pictured Yamaha lock ALSO comes with the two different style locks (off set in the assembly).

Years ago, I went to the dealership, I tried my key in a Yamaha bike and it fit. I ordered a replacement lock for THAT BIKE however it was the OPPOSITE STYLE CYLINDER.

You have to make sure you get the correct style cylinder, it was around $25.00 as I re-call....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been a fan of locks that go throught the chin strap d-ring. anyone who wants my $500 Shoei simply has to cut the strap and walk away. On the fz6 I use a small cable lock (the one that came with my Pistol) and loop it through the passenger handle and through the helmet itself. This way its way more secure- I hate carrying my helmet around.

If they cut the strap, the helmet is about useless..

Thats a great idea for a full face helmet, doesn't work on a 3/4 helmet and I personally don't want to have to mess with a cable lock, etc.

I've never had a problem with someone screwing with my helmet in 38 years but I don't park in "bad" area's either...

Last edited:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought one of these :D
bumper.JPG

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought one of these :D
bumper.JPG

i have similar to this ...keep it under the seat for when on occasion leave helm on bike ... pending what i`m doing really
but it works... put through passenger rail n sit it on seat usually :thumbup:

If got my better half with me then both have one n put helmets down either side where panniers would go :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If they cut the strap, the helmet is about useless..

The Kind of trash that steal helmets don't care about useless. and its just a suggestion anyway. Also, you cant put two helmets on the same lock.

Sure you can put two helemts on one lock. They make a "T" that goes thru the d ring of helmet #2 which goes to your lock:

M/C Enterprises Helmet Lock Extension - BikeBandit.com

The original poster wanted to know about a helmet lock and if re-keying it was possible. I forwarded to him how that it is indeed possible and how to do it...

Or you can put a second lock on the other side of the bike (and rekey it to fit the ignition key):

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I use one of those little retractable cable locks, also hanging it on the passenger peg and locking through the chin bar and peg mount.

Of course, someone could cut the skinny cable without much more trouble than cutting the chinstrap. But I figure it's mostly a deterrent against sticky fingers grabbing an unsecured helmet, not a theft preventative. If someone wants to steal your helmet or just **** up your day for giggles, they'll find a way to do it. I wouldn't leave my helmet locked to the bike in the 'hood... but then, I probably wouldn't leave my biike there, either. :p

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I use helmet lock every time I ride :D, it's put there for that purpose.

I have 3 helmets and they are in 200 bucks range. Nothing super valuable to go nuts over. I figure: only other rider will go to steal the helmet and he/she is not stupid to know that helmet with cut off strap is useless :Flip:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I use helmet lock every time I ride :D, it's put there for that purpose.
Whew, no one's going to steal my helmet off my '04, then! :BLAA:

I have 3 helmets and they are in 200 bucks range. Nothing super valuable to go nuts over. I figure: only other rider will go to steal the helmet and he/she is not stupid to know that helmet with cut off strap is useless :Flip:
Well, other than the aforementioned group who would either take the helmet or cut the strap simply to be a ****bag. Those are probably the type who just want to cause a problem, and will find some other way if your helmet isn't there.