Hello from MASS Newb with FZ6

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up an 04 FZ6 with 3400 miles for 2k.

I'm excited not just for the bike but now I have an all new forum to read and post to.:cheer:

I sold my 03 DRZ400 to fund the purchase of the bike. I've been riding dirt bikes and quads all my life. This is the first street bike.

I like the upright seating position of the FZ6 and the huge power over my 400 cc thumper.

I was originally looking at an aircooled bandit 600 or 1200 but this FZ6 came up for sale and I jumped all over it.

Certainly a sweet bike and very sharp.

I hope to learn a lot about the bike via the forum.

Thanks for the good site fella's

Greg.
CopyofIMAG0063.jpg

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Yup you'll find it all here, nice find, sorry it's blue but you can always paint it! j/k

So, we'll assume you've got all the right gear and frame sliders??

ENJOY!!

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
Hey Greg! :welcome: I just bought my fz last month and live in Billerica Mass. It sounds like some members go to Lowell Bike Nights and hopefully all the massholes will plan a group meet and ride this summer!

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
As for gear I am in the market now for some quality equipment. Sliders? On the hunt for those. Any other must have essentials??

BH I work in Chelmsford, bike night sounds easy for me.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Welcome to the forum.

We're a pretty friendly bunch here (especially the ones from Australia... ;))

Remember, gear up, ride safe, post often and we love pics! :cheer:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Muffhugger

Good choice on the FZ6! Good folks here and I'm sure you'll make friends and maybe find locals that belong to the forum to hook up with and do rides.

Have Fun!

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome - keep your eyes open in the Northeast sub-forum for potential group rides this summer - there's been a few New England get togethers the last couple of years.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. Where are you in relation to Boston? I'll be moving there this June. Looks like your puppy likes the new bike too:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the cheerful welcomes. I've been pouring over the bike lately and found my steering bearings are shot. I have a lot of play. Looks like I'm gonna order some all balls and tear into it. I'm trying to find a write up on the process but it should be easy enough.

Oh and I just bought an HJC FS-15 matte black. Looks sharp and a good price. Now going to look for a jacket and gloves.

I hope to have it all registered and insured by the weekend. Though snow is expected tomorrow...silly new england.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like Thursday / friday the weather should be nice. Between now and then, notsomuch. Welcome to the forum and +1 on swapping out the old tires. Just did mine yesterday.

Muffhugger

Reaction score
Visit site
As of now I have the front end disassembled. the all balls bearing should be here tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll have the bike all back together.

Aside from the tires being old are they really that bad to use?
I would imagine they are OEM tires from a dealership but with 3700 miles they look like they have plenty of tread depth and no signs of dry rot. Though I am not sure they are the original tires. Would do you guys get for mileage from you tires on a commuter bike?

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
As of now I have the front end disassembled. the all balls bearing should be here tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll have the bike all back together.

I would imagine they are OEM tires from a dealership but with 3700 miles they look like they have plenty of tread depth and no signs of dry rot. Though I am not sure they are the original tires. Would do you guys get for mileage from you tires on a commuter bike?

15k from the last set of metzeler Z6's commuting around boston / framingham plus some trips to VT. Those are definately the old stockers, and they're not great tires to begin with, from what I've heard (mine were different). They're probably getting hard by now, dry rot or no. I wouldn't sweat it right this second, but I'd do it before the season gets going in earnest (if it were me).

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site

The OEM Dunlops on my bike were pretty squared off by 4000 miles but that was courtesy of the original owner so not sure what kind of riding was done (apparently not so many corners). Replaced them with Pilot Roads which lasted about 12k of general use (commuting, day rides and touring).

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, Greg. Hope to see you down at bike night on occasion this summer! I'd say look for the FZ, but apparently that won't help much!