Heated grips or heated gloves?

Canada17

Reaction score
Visit site
I know it is the middle of summer, but I just sold my truck and am anticipating riding much later into the fall season. What are your preference of heated gloves or grips and why? Thanks.

chokeslam512

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on how handy you are with electrical stuff. If you like to tinker and run wires and all that stuff then go for the hand grips.

The one thing I would think about is that since you are wearing gloves anyways you are in essence heating the gloves to keep your hands warm and if you do not wear gloves :spank: then the tops of your fingers will get cold. My opinion is that if I am only using them during 25% or less of my total riding season then it is not worth the hassle and missing out on riding time to install them.

My verdict: heated gloves... save the grips for a Goldwing.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Gerbing heated gloves. They are great. Heated grips might work too, but it seems to me that the back of your hand would get cold. I'm thinking of getting a heated vest this year. It makes cold weather a non-issue.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I know it is the middle of summer, but I just sold my truck and am anticipating riding much later into the fall season. What are your preference of heated gloves or grips and why? Thanks.

Heated anything is useless if it snows... I personally wouldn't waste money on them. Last year it started snowing (southern Ontario) Nov 2 and didn't stop until late March... It wasn't the cold that stopped me from riding, it was the snow....

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heated grips, love them :thumbup: Got them for less than $100 (i think around $60-$70) at my local Cycle Gear, easy to hook up/install and work great for what i needed.

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
lol I bought heated grips and before i could fit them my pup ate them:eek:

My m8 also had hem on his old bike and said the front of his hand got cold so he would by the heated gloves the next time

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heated grips, love them :thumbup: Got them for less than $100 (i think around $60-$70) at my local Cycle Gear, easy to hook up/install and work great for what i needed.

Good price. Do you have a link to these, or pics? How cold does it have to get before it negates the "power" of the grips?

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: neither...heated vest better

I have the Gerbing heated jacket liner and Gerbing heated gloves. My last bike also had heated grips. With the heated grips I never used the heated gloves, which are well insulated but thick and clumsy. I used thin gloves with the heated grips which I like better anyways. If I had to choose between these I'd choose the grips.

However, IMO, the heated jacket liner is far more useful. When I wear the heated liner my hands and feet don't get cold as fast because my core temp stays toasty. Once your core temp drops its much harder keeping your hands and feet warm, and you run the risk of hypothermia. The Gerbing jacket also has a high neck heated collar which keeps your neck very warm.

From what I can gather the FZ6 just barely has enough extra Watts to keep the 77W heated liner going on full power (you can alwasy turn it down). Using it with heated grips or gloves probably won't work. So far I have not had a problem using the heated liner a couple of times.

John