Heated grip help

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, picked my 2004 FZ6 up and found it has heated grips fitted.

They are Roxters with a little controller box attached to the handle bars.
It simply has an on and off switch but doesnt seem to do anything when i press on.
Can anyone point me in the directions of a wiring diagram or something so i can check and see if i can figure out whats up?

looks like this:

Cheers for any help or advice

Fazer'd

Reaction score
Visit site
Look near where its connected to the battery for a fuse holder. a blown fuse is where I would start.

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, i checked the fuse, thats fine, the power is taken directly from the live and earth on the battery and there is power going into the controller....any thoughts?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you holding down the ON button? It may require that if it's anything like the Oxford heated grips with a very similar looking controller. If the light flashes at you, it means the voltage is too low and you may need to have the bike running at speed to keep the voltage up enough.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, i checked the fuse, thats fine, the power is taken directly from the live and earth on the battery and there is power going into the controller....any thoughts?

I would check to see if there is continuity to the grips. If the wire or heater filaments are open that could be the reason it doesn't work but.... If you have a bad controller it may have run the heater filament till they burned open...?

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
I have only tried it with the engine running....
I have tried pressing the buttons in lots of different sequences with no joy...nothing seems to light up....
I wonder if it is possible to replace the controller...? or test it further?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have only tried it with the engine running....
I have tried pressing the buttons in lots of different sequences with no joy...nothing seems to light up....
I wonder if it is possible to replace the controller...? or test it further?

If you have power coming into the controller, as Cliff stated, check for power coming OUT. If nothings coming out of the controller, its broke.

If power makes it to the grips, but NO HEAT, the grips are toast...

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
I will check if there is anything coming to the grips tomorrow...
I suspect it to be the controller as the little light does not light up at all....

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Put simply, I don't think your doing anything wrong at all.

Only Oxford heated grips seem to get any heat at all. Cheaper ones will get warm to the touch with bare hands but you'll never feel them through winter gloves.

My Oxfords were very hot at 70% and were unbearably hot at 100%.

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick update on this....

I bought a new set of the heated grips, same make and simply swapped over the controller and hey presto....nice and toastie.

Just one other quick question....

It is currently wired live and earth directly to the battery, meaning it could easily be left switched on after the ignition is switched off and obviously resulting in a nasty flat battery.
Where would be a better place to take the live or earth from so it only works when the ignition is switched on?

Cheers
Stephen