turn signal help!!

Jordan

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

I started at the relay and peeled back tape until I found brown green and brown white wires (someone extended the wires with different colour wires)

Once I got to the original harness, 12v was present on the brown/green wire, awesome!

I then used my test light between both of the wires to confirm the ground was good, but wasn't able to pickup a ground signal on the brown with white tracer. I then switched on the signals, and voila all of the turn signals worked, 4 ways, just as they should, the only problem is the signal indicator on the dash stays solid, rather than blinking when the signals are activated. ( doesn't bother me at all)IMG-20211218-WA0014.jpeg

So, now my question is, do I need to use a relay here, or am I fine just connecting the 2 wires?

The relay that I removed is dead (hooked up to 12v and no click at all) but, as I mentioned, when the 2 brown wires are connected, all works well. Will this cause damage without the relay, or can I send it?

I also found a bunch of spliced wires within the harness that were poorly connected, some with bare wires showing, so tomorrow I will be going through the rest of it and solder/heat shrinking any questionable joints.

Thanks for all the help so far, everything has been spot on.

Attachments

• IMG-20211218-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20211218-WA0005.jpeg
    993.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20211218-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20211218-WA0004.jpeg
    913.2 KB · Views: 7

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

I started at the relay and peeled back tape until I found brown green and brown white wires (someone extended the wires with different colour wires)

Once I got to the original harness, 12v was present on the brown/green wire, awesome!

I then used my test light between both of the wires to confirm the ground was good, but wasn't able to pickup a ground signal on the brown with white tracer. I then switched on the signals, and voila all of the turn signals worked, 4 ways, just as they should, the only problem is the signal indicator on the dash stays solid, rather than blinking when the signals are activated. ( doesn't bother me at all)

So, now my question is, do I need to use a relay here, or am I fine just connecting the 2 wires?

The relay that I removed is dead (hooked up to 12v and no click at all) but, as I mentioned, when the 2 brown wires are connected, all works well. Will this cause damage without the relay, or can I send it?

I also found a bunch of spliced wires within the harness that were poorly connected, some with bare wires showing, so tomorrow I will be going through the rest of it and solder/heat shrinking any questionable joints.

Thanks for all the help so far, everything has been spot on.
The relay you have is already an electronic type flasher relay and is not the OEM relay. The brown with white tracer supplies the directional lights directly,. It is not a ground wire in the sense that you should apply 12 vdc to it directly. So basically the electronic flasher relay have 12 vdc applied to the brown with green tracer wire that is present when the key is in the on position. When the relay sees a load path on the the brown with white tracer wire it becomes operational and flashes.

When you applied 12 vdc directly you may have damages the flasher so put it back in and test it. You may need a new one.

Jordan

Reaction score
Visit site
The relay you have is already an electronic type flasher relay and is not the OEM relay. The brown with white tracer supplies the directional lights directly,. It is not a ground wire in the sense that you should apply 12 vdc to it directly. So basically the electronic flasher relay have 12 vdc applied to the brown with green tracer wire that is present when the key is in the on position. When the relay sees a load path on the the brown with white tracer wire it becomes operational and flashes.

When you applied 12 vdc directly you may have damages the flasher so put it back in and test it. You may need a new one.

Great, thanks, is it normal for everything to function as it should with the wires just connected to each other? Do the led markers have a built in flash function that doesn't require a relay?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great, thanks, is it normal for everything to function as it should with the wires just connected to each other? Do the led markers have a built in flash function that doesn't require a relay?
The LED lights run off the flasher relay as well as any other directional or 4 ways light on the flasher circuit.