Have you checked your front sprocket lately?

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Just changed my chain and sprockets on my bike, they had done 36.4K miles - the rear looked fine but was nearly running out of adjustment for the chain and I wanted to go +2 on the rear for a upcoming Alps trip.
Pretty sure I checked the sprockets about 4K ago and all was well.
But have just taken this off....
So if you haven't checked yours for a while might be worth it, not sure the weight saving of less teeth is a bonus :D

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious how often you clean your chain and what slack you use to adjust your chain. I had checked my front sprocket at 26,000km and it looked like a new one.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i also just did a swap at 28k miles my chain had 7 spots that i could not free up the rollers my sprockets definitely had life on them

but i would rather not be stuck somewhere with a split chain or get whipped by my chain a 530 at 35 mph probably hurts (just guessing:don'tknow:).

and since the chain was going bad i didn't want to use the old sprockets on it, but the chain came with a set of sprockets so figured might as well.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious how often you clean your chain and what slack you use to adjust your chain. I had checked my front sprocket at 26,000km and it looked like a new one.

Probably clean the chain and oil every couple of weeks or so, all depends on my mileage and weather.
Slack adjusted to what it says in the book.

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably clean the chain and oil every couple of weeks or so, all depends on my mileage and weather.
Slack adjusted to what it says in the book.

Thanks, I think I need to check the sprocket with shorter period when my bike come to your mileage.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that's pretty terrible!

I'm due to clean my front sprocket, might take the cover off tonight and get to it!

z2345

Reaction score
Visit site
How does it even get this bad? I find it hard to believe normal lube, tension and alignment would result in this.