Hand Guards

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Years ago, there was a thread about mounting a set of V-Strom factory hand guards to the FZ6. I can't remember if it was this forum or sbn, and I also can't remember if they used the 650 or 1000 guards.....

Ah wait, a quick search of my gmail box shows that I emailed myself this info back in 2009...

A couple of recommendations for handguards for the FZ6.

Some of these cause clearance problems with the FZ6 fairing. Not good.

- Powermadd - (seem to hit the fairing on the 2004)

- Barkbuster S1 - Doesn't say that they fit 2004-2006 FZ6 models.
TwistedThrottle.com : Barkbusters Storm S1 handguards with universal single-sided mount for 7/8" handlebars - BB.S1

- V-Strom (650 / 1000) hand guards ("Knuckle Guards"):
handguards farkle - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
FJRForum
"57541-06G10-291" - Google Search
FJRTech.com - Dedicated to the FJR1300 Enthusiast!

# 2004 Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom "Knuckle Guards":

* Part Number: 57541-06G10-291 Description: COVER,KNUCKLE,L
* Part Number: 57341-27G00-291 Description: COVER,KNUCKLE,R

Retail price as of Feb, 2005: $17.43 each

FJR pilot Rick Martin provided these Suzuki oem part numbers for the
fastening hareware that is *exactly* what is needed to affix these
Hand Guards to the FJR1300 (these parts are in addition to the V-Strom
Hand Guard part numbers listed above):

Quantity Suzuki P/N Nomenclature
2 02142-06107 Screw
4 09160-06130 Washer
2 08319-21068 Nut
2 57431-06G00 Bolt, Lever
2 08316-10063 Nut

As those threads show, there is some confusion about which V-Strom
parts to get for the FZ6. 650 or 1000, and which year.

Yes, I frequently email myself stuff that I want to eventually remember.... :)

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Tourmaster heated gloves (and full-sleeve jacket liner) for 2 seasons now, and both just sh_t the bed this year in September... total failure. I have no idea what my recourse is, but it certainly sours me on buying more heated gloves from anyone. Even when the gloves worked, they didn't really work WELL. They weren't anywhere near as hot as the jacket liner, so my hands still got kinda cold. In failure mode, they went nuclear... super super hot during a ride (burned a red spot on my right hand) and wouldn't turn off no matter what til I unplugged them, and they never turned on again.

I need something though, it's cold now in Boston.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so I ditched the KLR hand guards and installed the Bark Buster S1 guards from Twisted Throttle. The KLR ones were OK but they did hit the mirrors at full lock.

The S1 Guards fit nicely right under the mirrors at full lock. :thumbup:

Sorry for the dark pictures but it is cold outside. :D

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

Up under the mirror at full lock. :thumbup:

DSC01537.jpg

They only took about 10 minutes to install. Well worth the hundred bucks if you ask me.

Marc

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics and updates. Ordering a set.

I ride in down to minus 5 celcius here. My hands feel like they need to be cut off whenever I get where I'm going and I usually am doubled over in pain for the first 5-10 minutes of getting where I'm going. haha

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
I was rather excited to finally see pictures of handguards that worked with the FZ6. With heated grips in really cold weather I always have burning hands on the grip and yet almost frozen on the outside of my hands. I went ahead and ordered a pair from Twisted throttle. There is no doubt that they are pricey for what they are, but I thought they would be well worth the money since they were said to fit the FZ6.

I should have been a little more carefull. If you look at the above pictures you will notice that lomax is using risers to raise his bars slighty. With stock bars and no risers these handguards will NOT fit without hitting your fairing near full lock (bumps into the rubber base from the mirrior).

IMG_0636.jpg

Point of contact.
IMG_0639.jpg

This picture shows how far you can turn the bars.
IMG_0641.jpg

I would likely still have purchased them, but I am disapointed that they do not fit with a oem setup. I'm going to see later if I can modify anything to get a better fit. As they are now they will defintely cause problems with tight low speed turns.

Still a nice product. Well made and fits on the bars even with all the other junk I have mounted.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
DOH I forgot to mention that I had risers on the bike. SORRY! :(

Maybe you could rotate yours up just a little for a wee bit more clearance.

I have found that other than locking the forks it should be no issue as I only do lock to lock turns on the trials bike. :rolleyes:

Marc

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
DOH I forgot to mention that I had risers on the bike. SORRY! :(

Maybe you could rotate yours up just a little for a wee bit more clearance.

I have found that other than locking the forks it should be no issue as I only do lock to lock turns on the trials bike. :rolleyes:

Marc

No worries!

I cannot get them to fit by roating them. I have spent the last few hours playing around with them. The left side now fits with turning to full lock. I will work on the right one later tonight. I think I should be able to make it work! :thumbup:

I've had to modify the mounting hardware.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
If all you want is wind protection, and not crash protection, why don't you use handle bar mitts? It will offer better rain and wind protection, be easy to remove and won't interfere with your windscreen.

Hippo Hands
(i'm sure there are more brands out there...)

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
If all you want is wind protection, and not crash protection, why don't you use handle bar mitts? It will offer better rain and wind protection, be easy to remove and won't interfere with your windscreen.

Hippo Hands
(i'm sure there are more brands out there...)

Yeah, I looked at hippo hands and various other similar types. I didn't like the idea of leaving them on the bike in the rain, having them soaking wet, and then trying to get my hands back inside. The same thing applies when removing your hands from the bars while riding (eg. to adjust a strap/zipper on your jacket, press a button on the GPS or take a picture while riding). Another issue I considered was they would not fit due to my GPS and spot tracker on the bars. I know for sure I would have to move the spot tracker to a new location. Most of the bikes that have hippo hands also have their farkles mounted on its own rail near the windscreen instead of the bars.

I dont know, I just felt this worked better for me. I have good winter riding gloves, so this should be the last little edge I need.

These do come off with just 2 bolts to remove the handle bar brackets, or you can remove just one bolt on the shaft and leave the brackets on the bars. Not to bad at all.

I have both mounted now with the ability to turn full lock on both sides. It was a bit of a chore to get it just perfect, but if you ask me it looks great (for riding in the cold!).

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site