Had my first ever lay-down on my new(ish) FZ6

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.

You could get some reflective decals to cover the scratches on the side of the topcase (3-M makes them I think - you could put a strip just above and below the seam along the case, which would also improve your visibility and I think it would look stock). I haven't done this yet, but I plan to.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.

You could get some reflective decals to cover the scratches on the side of the topcase (3-M makes them I think - you could put a strip just above and below the seam along the case, which would also improve your visibility and I think it would look stock). I haven't done this yet, but I plan to.

That's exactly what I planned to do. I have some 3M reflective that's almost the same silver color as the aluminum trim. I plan to put two strips (one on top and bottom of the seam like you mentioned) on each side.

I did e-mail GIVI just out of curiosity, and a complete new trim set (Z734SET) is only $37, which isn't bad. But I like the cheaper method...

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I consider a \"drop\" when the bike tips over and is stationary, but laying it down occurs while moving. Do you think I would bother posting pictures and describing everything that happened if I was in denial about it? It was a learning experience and a stupid thing to have done on my part... So it just depends on what terminology you choose.

+1 on that. This was definately not a drop or flop and drop. I knew exactly what happened to the bike from the title of the thread. But you can also call it a crash.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
W

wrightme43

You know the part of your fairing that is damaged comes off the main fairing and is easy to replace?

You can just buy the chunk that goes around the headlamp its like 60$ factory painted.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
You know the part of your fairing that is damaged comes off the main fairing and is easy to replace?

You can just buy the chunk that goes around the headlamp its like 60$ factory painted.

I was wondering that... but I couldn't tell if it was one piece of if it came off or not. Do you know where I could find it at online?

*EDIT* I just looked at interstatecycleonline.com and they have it for $52 and some change (p/n 4S8-28346-00-P1) but it doesn't mention anything about it being already painted... Any ideas?

*EDIT, AGAIN* Never mind wrightme... just found out that DPBMC (deep purple blue metallic c) is the one I need. Found it for $46!

Last edited:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Yuck -- glad you're okay. I've sworn off rain riding for reasons like this. Too many postings of stuff that is innocuous when dry and slick as ice when wet - manhole, crosswalks, leaves, anything. In my 5k of riding to date, I've only ridden about 30 miles in the rain. Second time was yesterday, got caught 10 miles from home in light rain. I have no sense of how much traction I have on wet surfaces, and I was riding like I was a first-timer in the MSF class. No fun.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know where I could get some of those stainless steel sliders that attach to the underside of footpegs so the aluminum pegs don't get warn down in a crash? Or if someone could just tell me what they are called exactly I'm sure I could find them online...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Does anyone know where I could get some of those stainless steel sliders that attach to the underside of footpegs so the aluminum pegs don't get warn down in a crash? Or if someone could just tell me what they are called exactly I'm sure I could find them online...

I wouldn't do that. As you get better, you won't want those peg feelers bc in a turn you may lean enough to scrape them and they could catch on the road. Plus they don't really help in a crash :)

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know MarinaFazer...

I ordered all the parts that I should need (hopefully) in order to get my bike looking new again. Well, minus the bar ends because I figured I could either put the $23 that they would cost towards a set of throttlemeisters, or just sand and repaint mine blue to match the bike (haven't decided yet).

My total came to $145 and some change after shipping from cheapcycleparts.com. I decided to get everything online because when I went to my Yamaha shop they said they do their best to match prices... Accept $159.80 with tax included, was the lowest they could go, and if any of the wrong parts were ordered they would not allow me to return them. So that was a no brainer...